Guild sighting at Tom Petty concert

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers played in Grand Rapids last night, lots of Rickenbackers, 2 Martins, A Tele, and Tom played several songs on a wine colored Guild 12 string dreadnought, maybe a D-212? Great concert, Black Crowes opened the show.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Tom Petty & the Black Crows? How'd I miss that one?!?! :cry:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Here's a cut-n-paste of a post by Hans on the Tom Petty 12 string topic from the old forum.

As far as I know Tom Petty is (and has been) using a D-212 with a tinted top for the longest time. Basically, it's the 12-string version of the D-25. The tinted top is a chocolate brown type of color, which might make it look like mahogany, but it is a spruce top. The only thing in your description that doesn't make sense is that you say it has no binding around any part of the guitar. Now the D-212 has black bindings, so you might be mistaken.
There is a similar looking 12-string that has no bindings and which was made during the '80s, but I don't think that I've ever seen a picture of Tom Petty playing one of these. He might have one though!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course it sounded great! He played it on several songs. "Made to be played..."

Reaction score
i was watching the dvd Concert For George the other night. TP plays that Guild. As I have a 73 D25/6 Mahogany it immediately caught my attention. At first I thought it was identicle to my D25/6. Binding, dots, pick guard were all the same as mine, But the head on TP's has the inlaid Guild marque where as mine is gold paint.

I watched that section several times and finally notice that the side coloring was mahogany but the top was a shade or two different. Anyway I asked about it elsewhere and someone mentioned a D225 ....

I've never heard or seen a D225 but according to the Guild support site, they had a D25/12 in the late 80's thru the 90's. I don't know if they still make them, but the one he was playing sure had a sweet sound. He played the D25/12 on Handle Me With Care.

ambrose

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
awoodfellow said:
I watched that section several times and finally notice that the side coloring was mahogany but the top was a shade or two different. Anyway I asked about it elsewhere and someone mentioned a D225 ....

I've never heard or seen a D225 but according to the Guild support site, they had a D25/12 in the late 80's thru the 90's. I don't know if they still make them, but the one he was playing sure had a sweet sound. He played the D25/12 on Handle Me With Care.

ambrose

Hi Ambrose,

That particular guitar is a D-212 (see earlier part of this thread). The D-212 model designation was changed during 1987 when it became the D-25-12.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
...and Bruce Cockburn

I've notice in several of Bruce Cockburn's videos, he plays a Guild F112. I have a '73 F112 and an older Hoboken '69 F112 - very different, as Hans will probably verify. The Hoboken F112 seems more based on the F30 body style, while my '73 (Betty) is more like my Gruhn-designed GF25s. I think Cockburn uses this on "My Beat". Check it out. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
"Where a Guild a day keeps the nightmares at bay!"

Reaction score
...and Bruce Cockburn

I've notice in several of Bruce Cockburn's videos, he plays a Guild F112. I have a '73 F112 and an older Hoboken '69 F112 - very different, as Hans will probably verify. The Hoboken F112 seems more based on the F30 body style, while my '73 (Betty) is more like my Gruhn-designed GF25s. I think Cockburn uses this on "My Beat". Check it out. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
"Where a Guild a day keeps the nightmares at bay!"