this is a tough call..should i get it??

rogersguy

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a chance tomorrow to get a 1958-60 x-175 that is trashed. it needs to be rebound, the fretboard needs to be filled in spots from gouged areas, not original pickguard or bridge, and it needs some electronic work. but....... it has the ohsc, the body is worn but no cracks, and no other mods were done. what do you think is a fair price?? any help is appreciated. thanks,larry

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
If it still has the original Franz pickups, I think you can't go wrong for anything less than $1000 US, IMO. If the binding is still there and just shrunken away from the body it can be re-glued. If you don't want it, let me know 'cause I may have interest! Those are GREAT guitars!

Good luck,
Jeff

rogersguy

Reaction score
jeff, it has the original pups and i'll see it in the morning, so i'll let you know if i'm not into it. i might score it for way less than that believe it or not. i hope its not too far gone!!! :( larry

dklsplace

Reaction score
Way less than $1000? Sounds like a nice project from what you've described so far. Are you planning on doing all the work yourself?

Put me 2nd in line behind Jeff! 8)

rogersguy

Reaction score
i have a friend who is a luthier, but it will still cost a bit of cash to rebind the guitar. i guess when i see it tomorrow, i'll have a better idea what i could be in for. judging by you guys(and i value your opinion) if i get it for less than a grand, i'm doing ok. i'll have the full report tomorrow afternoon and i'll give you an update , thanks,larry

Grady Musick

Reaction score
Here's a 1955 X-175 I just picked up a couple weeks ago for $300.00

Guild009.jpg

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Uh, coffee didn't kick in yet - it doesn't really need restoration, does it? Next time I let the picture fully load!

Grady Musick

Reaction score
No,,,I'm gonna leave it like it is.

When I got it,,,somebody had sprayed the Top & Headstock with white paint.
I sanded it down and stained it to match the Back & sides.

I like the "Natural" look and I'm gonna leave it like it is.

Reaction score
Hey, yeah, leave it as you like it! That comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway.
Personally, I'd prefer a much lighter "natural" finish, like usually found on blonde Guilds, but if you like it that way - just enjoy your "new" guitar!

Grady Musick

Reaction score
Yeh,,,if I was more adept at re-finishing Guitars,,,I would do something with it but,,,I've learned that you don't want to "practice" on something like a 1955 Guild,,,LOL !!!

rogersguy

Reaction score
ok, i was supposed to have seen this guitar already, but this guy is not easy to communicate with. now, i'm hopefully gonna see it after work tonight. i hope to have pix by then to post. larry

billydlight

Reaction score
Nice

My favorite part of Grady's picture is the LightSaber on the floor next to the guitar!

Hey I used to Play at Billy Joe's in Beckley, and the Southern Comfort Lounge in Princeton, or Tazewell as well as the Bluefield Ramada, and the Omni in Beckley. Any of those places still there?

-B

Grady Musick

Reaction score
Re: Nice

billydlight said:
My favorite part of Grady's picture is the LightSaber on the floor next to the guitar!

Hey I used to Play at Billy Joe's in Beckley, and the Southern Comfort Lounge in Princeton, or Tazewell as well as the Bluefield Ramada, and the Omni in Beckley. Any of those places still there?

-B

I know all those places you're talking about Billy.
The Bluefield Ramada is now an expensive dormitory for Bluefield State College.
Southern Comfort is long gone.

I'm not sure about Beckley as I don't spend any time there.
I pass by Beckley,WV on my way to play in Charleston,WV or Ohio

I rarely do a local gig.

Last Friday night I played at an up-scale place in Princeton called "The Club" on Douglas Street.

That was my only local gig this year.

rogersguy

Reaction score
ok, this is the story. i got to the guys house and opened the case. the damage was brutal. the whole body and neck needed to be re-bound, no pickguard, the fretboard had very deep gouges from nail-digging, the frets were history, it needs a neck reset, it had no bridge, and the pickups didnt make any sound. also, the finish was down to the wood and then some, in certain areas. i took the guitar for $300, sold it to my luthier for $500, and i'm selling the case on ebay. i'm looking at this as a days work. i wish i could have done the repairs, but the cost was gonna be at least $1200, so i just dumped it. what a shame. i'm sure this was at one time a beautiful guitar. sorry for the ramble,larry