Guild Bigsby B-6

billydlight

Reaction score
Yeah I must be crazy

Thanks Walt,
I just play them to death, and I want to have spares. There is no substitute the CE100's are the only ones in the line that sound like that.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Yeah I must be crazy

billydlight said:
Thanks Walt,
I just play them to death, and I want to have spares.
Same reason I ended up getting a second X175, and am now modding something cheap into (hopefully) something similar for plane travel.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Billy, I was actually talking about plane travel within Europe. We regularly fly to Norway or Spain for just one or two shows, and taking my N°1 on those filghts makes me a little nervous. I've never had to check it, but I've been close a couple of times.

As a matter of fact, yes, we're coming to the US too, this september. This is a list of confirmed dates, a couple more still to be added :

Sept. 3 - Tio Leo's - San Diego, Ca.
Sept. 4 - Rockabilly Showdown - L.A., Ca.
Sept. 6 - Frog & Peach - San Luis Obispo, Ca.
Sept. 7 - Elbo Room - San Francisco, Ca.
Sept. 9 - Aptos Club - Aptos, Ca.
Sept. 10 - Ivy Room - San Pablo, Ca.
Sept. 11 - Lulu's - Redding, Ca.
Sept. 12 - Cheyenne Saloon - Las Vegas, Nv.
Sept. 13 - Rhythm Room - Phoenix, Az.
Sept. 14 - Vaudville Cabaret - Tucson, Az.
Sept. 15 - WilLee's - santa Fe, N.M.
Sept. 16 - T-Lounge - El Paso, Tx.
Sept. 17 - Railroad Blues - Alpine, Tx.
Sept. 23 - Double Wide - Dallas
Sept. 24 - Vortex - Beaumont
Sept. 27 - Continental - Austin, Tx.

billydlight

Reaction score
Come East

Come east and play in the Philadelphia area, Check out http://www.asburylanes.com it is in Asbury Park NJ. It is the new hotspot for Rockabilly, surf. You shouldplay there.
I saw Horton Heat there as well as Dick Dale. Check it out
-B

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
billydlight said:
However I will be needing a Guild Bigsby B-6 for her. My other 3 CE's have gold ones (coincidence really, I was not planning it that way) Any body got one gold or otherwise? Han's any in that big parts buy you just did?

Sorry Billy,

No goldplated Guild Bigsby in the lot! Actually, there were a few in there but they were all left-handed. I should be able to make somebody really happy with one of those!

Hans

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi billydlight,

I gave that guitar some serious consideration but decided to pass. I am really interested in you comment the describes the unique sound of a CE100. Do all of your CE100 have the Franz pickups? Can you add a bit more description of the sonic qualities?

It appears that the specification for this guitar has changed over the years. Are yours all of the same vintage? You really perked up my interest in this model. I would assume a humbucker version of this is similar to a Gibson 175. My preference is SC pickups and the Franz are the best so an early CE100 may be the guitar my next quest. If given a good deal I may settle on a later model and pop in my HD Z-90 pickups.

Sincerly,
matsickma

billydlight

Reaction score
CE100D

Matsickma

I have a 58, 59, 60, and 61. All of them sound equally awsome. They all have Franz pickups in them. I also have a 58 Aristcorat, a 55 X350 all with Franz Coils, a 60 Blackfire III with DeArmonds, They all sound great, I have a 66 X175 that I put Franz Coils in it sounds great too.

However...

The CE100 D is a completely different animal. These guitars are all basically the same. THe 58 is about a quarter inch thicker than all of the others. In 60 they did something different with the laquer and the ones after that have a slightly greenish tint. The neck shape is the same on all of them. But it is about the tone! Those pickups on that body, it is a Maple body, maybe that gives it a little more zing, I use bigsby bridges, the key on these guitars IMHO is that the bridge pickup is RIGHT ON THE STRINGS, this makes them snarl. They are all the same in that respect.
Having the strings right on the pickup pushesthe pickups output so good. The X guitars have the strings at different heights over the pickups and You can only lower them so much because of the neck angle. But the CE's are built just right. I am sure it was unintentional. Probably someone at Guild got their Butt handed to them for cuttin it so close. But unlike a strat the strings being so close to the pickup does not pull them out of tune. THis guitar is kind of like a Super Tele on Steroids. Of course you do have to work the pickups a little. I dip them in wax and reverse the polarity so they are humbucking in the middle position. Also a lot of the coolness factor come into play when you use touch. These guitars sweeten up so beautifully with a lite touch and then turn into a beast when you smack it! The CE's more than any other guitar I have played. I have never played one with humbuckers but I would imagine it would not be as satisfying.

Have you been to my website? http://www.billydlight.com

I only have my first CE up there, but I wrote the text for that some years ago, and even back then I new the guitar was something special. She is still my main guitar, but she was coming apart at the seams. She is structurally oK but the inlays and binding have just gone to shit over the last 10 years. The guitar is soaked with sweat, and the finish is pretty much gone on the whole thing, but maaaaannn she sounds great. So I went on a trek over the last 2 years to get a few more so I could retire her slightly. I cannot say enough about these things.

What I can say is if you are planning on getting one, you're gonna have to get in line behind me!! :twisted:

And the best part is I totally stumbled on this guitar that changed my life. I was walking through the Philadelphia guitar show with a Jerry Jones Doubleneck that weighed a 1000 pounds. I walked by Jay Pilzers (the Guildguy) and said "what will you trade me for this?" He said I'll give you this and pointed to an old beater that looked like a ES 175. I said OK mostly cause the I was sick of carring the doubleneck.

And the rest is history.