New Member X-170

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new member. I play Jazz and Classical guitar (over 40 years of playing) and just got a '96 X-170 in Antique Sunburst. After years of 175s, handmade archtops, and other great guitars that cost much more, I am extremely impressed with this guitar. Though I would have loved a little thicker body, this guitar is very comfortalble to play and the neck feels great. The pickups are outstanding. While it has a rich fat sound, there still no sacrifice of high end; a kind of crystalline sound. I can only describe the sound as very articulate and clear. Many Jazz arctops are too bassy and almost "thumpy" sounding The X-170 tone "breathes" and has none of the typical choked sound of other high end archtops. I love the uniquely designed interior "soundpost" and am amazed at the lack of feedback even at high volume. Plenty of bite and trebel in the bridge pickup assure that I can use this for a variety of styles. All in all, it is one of the best axes I have played, regardless of price. Any other jazzers out there using this model? If so, any similar experiences and/or observations?

Squawk

Reaction score
rsclosson said:
Any other jazzers out there using this model? If so, any similar experiences and/or observations?

Welcome to the forum.

I collect and play all types of guitars and basses. I also have an antique sunburst X-170 (forget if it's a 95 or 96) and agree that it is exceptional. I'm not a jazzer per se, but whatever style I play I prefer clean or natural distortion (like a Blues 90 through my Vibrolux). The X-170 has a unique richness - I can appreciate your enthusiasm. And the finish is one of the most beautiful sunbursts I have ever seen - don't you think?

strings

Reaction score
Hello, I’m also very happy to call a (blonde) X-170 my own. With flat wounds (I use D’Addario chromes) I get a perfectly warm, "dry", articulated and balanced jazz tone. I really enjoy it, too!

Squawk

Reaction score
strings said:
Hello, I’m also very happy to call a (blonde) X-170 my own. With flat wounds (I use D’Addario chromes) I get a perfectly warm, "dry", articulated and balanced jazz tone. I really enjoy it, too!

Strings - I use d'addario chromes as well - I recently tried a lighter set (10s) as they have a wound G (necessary for the compensated bridge) and I love them as there is no appreciable difference in sound but a little extra ease in playing. Not that I wasn't happy with d'addario 11s :D

Reaction score
And the finish is one of the most beautiful sunbursts I have ever seen - don't you think?

Yes I do. This is the first sunburst I have owned in years as I am usually more attracted to blondes,(Guitars, that is. My wife is definitely a brunette.) but this one is gorgeous. As to strings, it came with a set of L5 roundwounds. I have used Thomostic-Infeld Swing Series flatwounds for years and plan to try a set on this beauty. I find the Thomastics have better sustain and lively tone than any others. Pricey, but they last a long time.
The more I play this axe, the more I dig it.!

Squawk

Reaction score
11s are the most popular - flats generally are not popular, but if anybody sells just one set of flats, it's usually d'addario 11s. And while rsclosson is probably correct about thomastik strings - they are very pricey - over twice the price of d'addario chromes - or 4x the price of decent rounds!

Reaction score
And while rsclosson is probably correct about thomastik strings - they are very pricey - over twice the price of d'addario chromes - or 4x the price of decent rounds!

Yes, they are expensive. I almost hate I got so hooked on them. Of course I offset that by changing strings embarrasingly seldom. They last a long time and really keep their "zing." 11s would seem so slinky to me that they would feel "mushy." I have considered 13s on the Guild because my previous guitar was a long scale length compared to the 170.

BTW, I played my first gig on the 170 last night and it was fantastic! I work with a female vocalist who does a variety of styles, from Jazz to Blues to Country to Folk and I got a wide range of tonal variety. This axe is a KEEPER!