Just returned from Summer NAMM!

Mo

Reaction score
I had a great time in Indy at summer NAMM and got to play every model Guild there. I pretty much stuck to the USA made models as I had already played the GADS locally. I did find out the all of the USA made models are now made in Tacoma. They looked, felt and sounded great. Those folks know how to make acoustic guitars. The only thing being made in Cali is the electrics and we'll just leave it at that. The Guilds from Tacoma are NOT a crossover, mutant mixture of guitars. They are pure Guilds through and through with only the label saying "Made in Tacoma Washington". They of course still have laquer finishes as opposed to Tacoma's UV poly.

I posted a whole event thread with pics over at the Tacoma forum if you want to take a look.

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=542897&CategoryID=264767&startcat=1&ThreadID=2164820

john_kidder

Reaction score
Thanks Mo - very interesting.

I used to go to the NAMM shows all the time in the early 80s when I was Computer Music Manager for Roland Canada - I was all about the electronics then, and I don't think I ever even looked at an acoustic guitar. What a shame.

Did I understand from your other posting that you think the Guilds are OK, but that for the money your prefer Tacoma? If you were in the market for a guitar in the Guild price range, how would they compare with others you played at the show?

Cheers,
John Kidder

Mo

Reaction score
john_kidder said:
Thanks Mo - very interesting.

Did I understand from your other posting that you think the Guilds are OK, but that for the money your prefer Tacoma? If you were in the market for a guitar in the Guild price range, how would they compare with others you played at the show?

Cheers,
John Kidder

The Guilds I handles and played were more than just "O.K.", they were exceptional! The whole Guild thing is new to me and I have an expressed interest now that they are "cousins" with the brand that I have bought and played now for a few years (Tacoma).

I am pretty sure the Guilds list for quite a bit more money and I have gotten used to the pricing of Tacomas. I personally prefer Tacomas because that is the guitar I have gotten comfortable with in many ways. I do not like a really ornate guitar and prefer a very plain fretboard. of course I also like the very balanced tone of the Tacomas I own. The Guilds did sound great, played great and looked great and I would have no problem whatsoever owning one as they seem to be top-notch instruments. It's really hard to compare Guilds against other USA brands as they all make super guitars and after playing Goodalls, Martins, Taylors, Tacomas, Breedloves, Collings, Bourgeous, Santa Cruz, etc... your mind is blown when you realize they are all great and you've just seen a couple million dollars worth of fine guitars! Heck I played the Martin D-100 deluxe (after asking permission) and it lists for $100,000 by itself!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the little update Mo.

Mo said:
The only thing being made in Cali is the electrics and we'll just leave it at that.
Does this mean you're not interested in electrics, or is the "we'll just leave it at that" a euphemism for something like "they were sort of ....ahem..."?

Mo

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Thanks for the little update Mo.

Mo said:
The only thing being made in Cali is the electrics and we'll just leave it at that.
Does this mean you're not interested in electrics, or is the "we'll just leave it at that" a euphemism for something like "they were sort of ....ahem..."?

Oh I like electrics and have had a half dozen or so. I was eluding to the fact that the folks in the sun are electric guitar builders, but the acoustics are best left to those folks that really know what they are doing and have one of the finest facilities in the USA. :lol:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Thanks for the news Mo...though I didn't seem to notice any Guild pictures in your thread. :? :p

If the acoustics are in good hands in Tacoma WA, & the California guys have the electrics under control...how exactly should archtops be categorized & should those of us who love them be worried? Somewhere in between? So they'll be making them somewhere around Portland OR then right? :lol:

Mo

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Thanks for the news Mo...though I didn't seem to notice any Guild pictures in your thread. :? :p

If the acoustics are in good hands in Tacoma WA, & the California guys have the electrics under control...how exactly should archtops be categorized & should those of us who love them be worried? Somewhere in between? So they'll be making them somewhere around Portland OR then right? :lol:

The very first picture is in front of the Guild area. You can see a beautiful D-55 sunburst & a Richie Havens over my left shoulder!

As far as the archtops, someone mentioned Ikyukistan :D