In Praise of the DV-52

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
I recently picked up a gloss DV-52 (c. 1999) off of ebay.... This guitar is shockingly good.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with rosewood. I much prefer mahogany but I like a rosewood guitar in the stable-- especially in the larger sized guitars. By way of background, I've owned the following rosewood guitars: a Martin D-28, a '75 D-28S, an OM-28V, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, Mossman Great Plains, Larrivee OM-09, and a few others I can't think of right now.

This Guild is as good as, if not better than, every one of those guitars is tone and workmanship and is the loudest of the lot. The most amazing thing is that these guitars can be had used for $700 +/-, less than 50% of the price of almost every other rosewood guitar that I've owned.

Its bass is as deep and rich as any 40 series Martin that I've ever played and, even better, its high end doesn't have that cold metal click that really turns me off in other rosewood guitars.

Anyway, if you are shopping for a rosewood dread-- look no further. And, with the $700 or so that you save, buy yourself a nice F-212 for the perfect Guild acoustic combo!

A happy customer,

Bob

Pike

Reaction score
I took my '98 D55 to Guitar Center to play it next to everything decent they had in the wood room. The D55 was the best of the lot. By far. They had a Martin D18 vintage type (forget the exact model#, D18V?, that was really good, though mahogany and totally different sound than the D55. That was the only guitar that was close. Their Martin HD28V was dark and bottom heavy, and the D28 was nice, but nowhere near the D55. The Taylors were dry, OK but dry. The Gibson Jumbos were nice also, but Jumbos.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
dv52's

:D Hey, you nailed it on the DV52. I got one a couple years ago on ebay for $659.00, it's really sweet. I have an old mahogany D-25 too, but I was really happy to add this Rosewood DV52 to the flock. They both have superb sound, but the mahogany dred has a little deeper voice, I think somewhat due to the bowed back with no internal bracing.

Either way, I'm with you - these are a great deal if you can snag one!

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
Not to keep beating this drum but, I gotta tell you, this guitar continues to impress me...

I played it out today and it did everything I could want it to do... rhythm, picking, bass lines, jazz chording... just great.

The best thing about it, in my opinion, is the tone-- of course! So often, rosewood trebles have this cold, metallic "click" to them. This guitar has a sweetness that I haven't experienced in other rosewood guitars. More mids, and the trebles just kind of shimmer-- its not that razor wire high end that other rosewood often have.... Very smooth and sugary. Me like!

Bob

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, ya gotta be quick if you want to get one of these off e-bay. I was going to post links in the e-bay section of this forum, but by the time I checked back they were both gone. A '96 and a '98, both hi-gloss natural tops with the abalone rosette, both looked to be in excellent condition, they went for $625 and $800 respectively, someone snatched them up with the "buy it now" options. What a steal, we're talking equivalent guitars to the Martin D-35 here. (Actually better, I think)

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
Its remarkable how cheap these guitars go on ebay. Truly the best kept secret in rosewood dreads... It doesn't sound just like a Martin-- nor do I want it to!-- but it sounds just as good. Its certainly as loud as any Martin that I've owned, and I much prefer the trebles that a rosewood Guild produces over a Martin.

Now to find an A-50....

Bob

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, its real interesting how the different manufacturers achieve a signature sound that seems to be common to all their guitars. One of my best pickin' buddies has a beautiful Martin D-35HD that is a real treat to play and sounds great, but it just doesn't have the depth and punch of my DV-52. Not that I wouldn't love to own that Martin, it's sweet, just different than my Guilds. Actually my main gigging acoustic is my '76 D25M, I had a LR Baggs under-the-saddle pickup installed and I play it through a Crate CA-125D, wow...this guitar was loud on its own, and real deep tones. I use both of them for bluegrass too, they can really hold their own when blending with a banjo and mandolin. At any rate, Guilds have always been a deal in my opinion, and if I'd been quicker I'd have bought that one for $625.00. :cry:

Reaction score
DV52

I currently own a DV 52 and had another one several years ago and have always felt that a D28 had nothing on it at all. Big, full and balanced (for rosewood), classy looks, and what a neck! I get sick of other boards beating up Guilds. I also have a J 45 and Larrivee OM 3 for a change of pace

Reaction score
DV52

I currently own a DV 52 and had another one several years ago and have always felt that a D28 had nothing on it at all. Big, full and balanced (for rosewood), classy looks, and what a neck! I get sick of other boards beating up Guilds. I also have a J 45 and Larrivee OM 3 for a change of pace

Reaction score
Yeah, the Acoustic Guitar website , seems they don't like guilds. I've played them for 35 year. Never let me down, good value and great sound. s

Reaction score
Yeah, the Acoustic Guitar website , seems they don't like guilds. I've played them for 35 year. Never let me down, good value and great sound. s

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes Sutton, I was just kidding you. I know that there are other message boards out there and they may not be too crazy about Guilds. But in my humble opinion, the old Guilds are the most underrated acoustic of all time.

Gibson, Taylor, Larivee, Martin....they are all good sounding guitars and most are beautiful to look at. But I think that when you look at quality, sound, playability, beauty and affordability combined, they just did not come any better than the old Westerly and Hoboken Guild acoustics.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes Sutton, I was just kidding you. I know that there are other message boards out there and they may not be too crazy about Guilds. But in my humble opinion, the old Guilds are the most underrated acoustic of all time.

Gibson, Taylor, Larivee, Martin....they are all good sounding guitars and most are beautiful to look at. But I think that when you look at quality, sound, playability, beauty and affordability combined, they just did not come any better than the old Westerly and Hoboken Guild acoustics.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
But in my humble opinion, the old Guilds are the most underrated acoustic of all time.

I agree with you completely on that. I wish Fender had left the production in Westerly and just pumped a few people in from Fender to bolster their buisness without just killing the old company. However, if they do with Guild what they are doing with Gretsch.....things could be good again...but the price factor is gone for good. IMHO :roll:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
But in my humble opinion, the old Guilds are the most underrated acoustic of all time.

I agree with you completely on that. I wish Fender had left the production in Westerly and just pumped a few people in from Fender to bolster their buisness without just killing the old company. However, if they do with Guild what they are doing with Gretsch.....things could be good again...but the price factor is gone for good. IMHO :roll:

Reaction score
Guild DV-52

I just recently pulled out my DV-52 & played some over the last week. It needs new strings but still sounds good. I love this axe! I think I'll put new strings on this weekend. Me & my buddy jammed, him on my JF-65 jumbo. Got my endorphins going big time. I hardly plug in naymore unless I got someone to jam w/ but this time we went straight acoustic & it was fun. :D

Peace,
Jake

Reaction score
Guild DV-52

I just recently pulled out my DV-52 & played some over the last week. It needs new strings but still sounds good. I love this axe! I think I'll put new strings on this weekend. Me & my buddy jammed, him on my JF-65 jumbo. Got my endorphins going big time. I hardly plug in naymore unless I got someone to jam w/ but this time we went straight acoustic & it was fun. :D

Peace,
Jake

Reaction score
DV 52

WEST R LEE I know you were kidding :D I just felt I had to say something. Over 40 years of playing and owning all makes and models of acoustics, I still pick up a Guild and admire its strength and punch. In fact I brought it to work today for a little lunchtime pickin!