Hollowbody feedback: Starfire III vs. X-170

Squawk

Reaction score
I absolutely love my Starfire III and X-170 - but have noticed that the threshhold for feedback is at a much lower volume level for the Starfire, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me why.

I believe both have the same pups (Guild HB-1 humbuckers); I have flat 10s (wound G) on the X-170 and round 10s (plain G) on the Starfire; I play both through the same tube amp (Fender Vibrolux Custom). The X-170 is more deep or "woody" sounding while the starfire is brighter, but both achieve a great latitude of tone with guitar and amp adjustments. At the same settings and playing position, while the X-170 is deeper, it will not feedback where the Starfire does. If anything, given the wider body of the X-170, I'd expect the opposite. Can anyone explain this?

I should note that feedback is not a problem for either guitar.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hollowbody feedback: Starfire III vs. X-170

Hello Squawk,

It's probably because the X-170 has a soundpost under the bridge. Making it less prone to feedback was the main reason for putting it in.
Without the soundpost in the X-170 it would probably be the other way around.

Hans Moust

Squawk

Reaction score
Re: Hollowbody feedback: Starfire III vs. X-170

hansmoust said:
It's probably because the X-170 has a soundpost under the bridge. Making it less prone to feedback was the main reason for putting it in.

Thanks, Hans - perfect explanation - plus I learned something new - I thought that support was structural (to support the bridge so it wouldn't warp the top). In fact, I didn't realize that the Starfire DID'NT have such a support - it's hard to see through the F-hole on such a slim body.