Help me find the mystery Guild guitar...

Reaction score
Hello.

I was hoping someone on this site might be able to assist me in identifying the mystery guild acoustic I am looking for.

I know it's 1971 or 1972, it has a standard dreadnaught shape, and the body appears to be maple (I'm unsure of these things, but it's a light wood color). The odd (and perhas defining) feature of this specific model is that the back of the body is not flat, it is instead slightly bevelled about 1-2 inches from the edge.

Can anyone assist me in identifying the exact model of this guitar? I owned it once and stupidly sold it.. not realizing that it was the best sounding guitar in the world (regret regret regret). I'm desperately seeking this exact model and year again... if you know of anyone selling such a guitar please let me know.

Regards,

M.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mystery Guild guitar...

Hello malachi,

If you're sure it was 1971 or 1972 then the only dreadnaught-shaped guitar that would conform to your description would be the G-37.
The model was officially introduced in the 1973 price list but I have several models from 1972 in my database.

Here are some of the specs:
Spruce top, maple back & sides (arched laminated maple back) , mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard & bridge.

It should not be too difficult to find one on the used market, but if you really insist on a model from 1972 it might be a little harder.

If you have any further questions, just get back here!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have 1972 G-37... Got in a charity auction on ebay... It is a very fine playing guitar and the acoustic that I play the most.. It is one guitar that I will never part with.

It came with a history the following is an email I recieved from the previous owner:

Roger Landes told me you had purchased the Guild G37 that I had donated to Zoukfest. I thought you might be interested in its history. I
purchased it new from Straight Music in Houston, Texas in March, 1973.
At that time that was a small music store owned and operated by George Straight's Dad. I had been looking at Martins, but I couldn't find one that suited me. I couldn't afford a vintage one, and the new ones at that time
sounded like washtubs. Mr. Straight suggested I try the Guild, and I
took to it immediately. It had a wonderfully fast neck, much like an electric guitar. Most of all I liked the bright crisp sound. I think that is
because of the maple body. If memory serves I paid $400 for it, which
seemed like a lot of money in 1973. It really withstood the test of
time, adapting well to very diverse climates in Galveston, Los Angeles,
Ann Arbor, and Albuquerque. During the Ann Arbor years it became well
known among the folk/acoustic crowd and was often borrowed for special gigs.

It was used on some recordings.

Due to a neuromuscular condition I became unable to play such a large instrument. It sat unused for a couple of years, which broke my heart.
I had Tony Sutherland, a luthier in Taos, build a custom guitar for me
that I can comfortably play, so the Guild became redundant. Even so I
couldn't bring myself to sell it, so I donated it to ZF to be auctioned off.
I'm glad it has found a new home. I hope it brings you all the joy,
pleasure, good times, and friendships that it brought to me.
best personal regards,
Name with held cause I posted this with out the guy's permission

Guess this kinda explains why George Straight plays a Guild... :D

refret

Reaction score
I had a G-37 that was ink stamped under the top on my birthday, (that's why I remember...) NOV 27 1972. The model was introduced in 1973, but some were made at the end of '73. No chesterfield, plain "GUILD" gold decal.

Reaction score
Mystery Guild Found: 1972 G37

Thanks for all the help. I can now begin my hunt for the elusive 1972 G37.. anyone selling please let me know.

Regards,

M.

SledDawg

Reaction score
G37

I work with a guy who has one. I believe it was purchased new at Matt Umanov in NYC. Not sure of the year.
I cleaned it up and restrung it for him a while back. He never, ever plays it. A shame...
I'll ask him if he might sell it. Where are you located? We are in NJ, USA.

Reaction score
The G-37

Malachi -- Funny things about the G-37 (and yes, Hans Moust correctly identified it originally - but then, why am I NOT surprised), my brother has a blonde 1975 G37 he purchased from Al Whitney at Alexandria (LA) Music in about 1978. Al was one of those store owners who kept his best instruments in their cases in the back of the store until he could "match" it with the right player. I had owned at least one Guild F112 in Pensacola and dealt a lot with Tringas Strings - where we would eventually purchase two B50s. When I returned to Alexandria in late 1976, I was in need of a new main guitar. I went by to see Al and he matched me up with a sunburst G-37 (more on that later). It was beautiful, but I just wasn't sure. I purchased in the next year and a half a dozen other brands and wasn't happy with any of them in the night-after-night playing. I used 6 different tunings and struggled to have the right instrument in each. Finally, I went back to Al and he had held the G37 for me. I purchased it and still have it. I've used it on every album Charmer and Smithfield Fair have done (17 combined) and two solo album projects and countless studio gigs. In the late 80's, I chanced to talk to the Westerly Guild plant and someone there assured me that what I had - mahogany back and sides, arched back, spruce top - was NOT a sunburst G37, but a mismarked D25. However, I now believe that Guild varied the sunburst from maple back and sides to mahogany for the G37 and this is indeed what I have. But, as Hans Moust and Jan Pilzer and George Gruhn will all tell you...there's no explaining Guild's numbering system OR its irratic specifications changes. I have two GF25s - designed by George Gruhn and build a year apart - 1987 and 1988 - and they are as different as night and day in woods, depth, width, neck, etc. As Westerly was ALWAYS a player's shop, imagine some player came in, made some requests or comments and the specs were change to comply and the catalog just never reflected it. Guild's history is afire with such inconsistancies. The one constant is these AMAZING workhorse guitars that will still be earning their keep when fancier and more exalted instruments are long gone - unable to keep up. I see several blonde G37s on Ebay here and there...watch for them. They are amazing guitars - with no rhyme or reason. Cheers! dbsmith