Another X-350

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
I let the A-150 go to buy a X-350 instead! Serial # 1362 supposedly from 1953. Wow, it's 52 years old! I most likely paid too much ($1900), but its beautiful and sounds great.
A couple of questions though...
the tuners are "newer" Schaller Kluson reissues. What originally came on this geeeetar? The bridge is a gold tune-o-matic, but a rosewood compensated bridge was in the case, was this type of bridge original to the guitar?
I am going to buy Han's book but it'll take a few days to get here, so if you guys can offer answers early, I'd appreciate it!
I have pictures if someone can host them...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mr.Tidy said:
A couple of questions though...
the tuners are "newer" Schaller Kluson reissues. What originally came on this geeeetar? The bridge is a gold tune-o-matic, but a rosewood compensated bridge was in the case, was this type of bridge original to the guitar? I have pictures if someone can host them...

Congrats!

Hope you will enjoy this one!
The tuners at the time would be original Kluson Deluxe tuners. I hope they didn't install the Schaller Kluson type tuners for which you need to drill out the headstock.
The bridge should have been a rosewood one with a rosewood base.
No individual compensating ridges on this one. Just a built-in slant which makes the bass strings longer than the treble strings.

As far as the photos are concerned, just mail 'm to me and I will post them.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
x350

Congrats! Sounds like the one from Dave's. I thought that was a decent deal for that guitar. FWIW, my 55' X500 has Klusons but with oval buttons instead of the tulip buttons. The button material is almost like a perloid instead plain white plastic and doesn't seem to be affected by typical tuner rot.

How do you like that switching system? How about that middle pickup - I was always a bit worried I'd always bang my hand or pick into it, any concerns?

Enjoy the new baby!
Jeff

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Yep, I got it from Daves, quick service and well described.
The pickup switching is bizarre, there is no button for middle/bridge. As of right now, I like all three on and won't be switching much during a performance.
The middle pickup doesn't get in the way at all, I use a well worn pick which doesn't protrude much below the strings.
So is 1953 correct (serial 1362).
I have to get a new battery for my camera, then I'll forward the pics to Hans (Thanks Hans)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mr. Tidy's X-350

Here it is! Mr. Tidy's 'new' X-350 and his 'Rockabilly'.

He calls it "Gramps and the Kid" 50 years of evolution!

GrampsandtheKid.jpg

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Performance review:
I used the X-350 last night at a tiny bar here in Detroit. Plugged into a little Gibson Goldtone 15 watt amp.
The guitar is heavier than my X-160. The neck is thinner (Front to back) than the X-160. The longer scale of the X-350 took some getting used to.

The X-160 is a very bright crystal clear sounding guitar. The X-350 was much darker. I am not 100% sure the bridge pickup is doing its job! It is very bright, or should I say, it has no bottom end at all. The neck pickup is very very bassy. The middle sounds crisp, top and bottom. I mostly used all three pickups at once, but it seems as though the neck pickup overwhelms the bridge pickup.
That being said, I used the guitar all night and got comments that my playing sounded warmer than it usually does. To me it seemed a bit muddy.
I've been accused of being too trebly with my X-160 (I love treble).
Maybe this week I can get an ohmmeter and measure these pickups. What approximate number should I be looking for?

I want this to be my main guitar (It's so pretty). So I'm looking for an amp with more clean headroom, some type of Fender probably.
This week I plan on auditioning a tweed bassman, a Deluxe reverb, a Twin and maybe a Super Reverb.
We normally play at small bars, so a Twin might be too much.
Life is good.

dklsplace

Reaction score
So I'm looking for an amp with more clean headroom, some type of Fender probably.

If you're interested in sticking in the Class A area, check out some of the older Ampeg Jet models. I replaced the original speaker in my J-12 D with a Reverend Alltone 1250 & it stays warm & clean up to around 7...which is mighty loud!

billydlight

Reaction score
I have an X-355

My X-355 is a blond. There is usually a bunch of capacitors and sometimes even a resistor(!) on the switch. I suppose they put them there in some attempt at instant pre set jazz tone. They probably put a resistor on the bridge pickup to try to tame it a little. If you remove these it will most likely open up your sound. The pickups will then be able to provide the great tone they are capable of.

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
Thanks Billyd, I just opened it up, and although I'm an electronics idiot, there certainly is some electrical thingy on both the bridge and the neck pickup switch points. And wow, that 6 button thing looks well made. Very heavy duty!
I might take to a repairguy for advice on altering the wiring. I'd just like to make sure I can make it original again without the changes being too obvious.