My JF-55-12, anyone else?

Abalone

Reaction score
Hi!

Just wanted to post a picture of my JF-55-12 and a little soundclip with a crappy computer mic. I wonder if we have any other JF-55-12 owners here?
It must be one of the best 12-stringed guitars around don't you think?

GUILDJF55.jpg

Dsc00225.jpg

Sound:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000168052_000011015_proj.mp3

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
8) Sweet. Love the sunburst, I have a DV-52 with that finish. What year is it? Looks like a Westerly sticker inside, I'm guessing maybe a '98? I have an '81 F-512 with the natural top, forerunner to the JF-55-12. Guild definitely cornered the top of the 12-string market with these tone monsters, didn't they? I consider these the crown jewel of the Guild offerings, at least of the standard production models. Its a massive guitar, that big headstock is a thing of beauty. (Sure is a pain replacing strings, tho. :( ) What strings are you playing on this one? Right now I have D'Addario phosphor bronze lights, when I have a couple hours I'm going to re-string with Silk&Steel lights and see how the tone comes out.

Abalone

Reaction score
drednut said:
8) Sweet. Love the sunburst, I have a DV-52 with that finish. What year is it? Looks like a Westerly sticker inside, I'm guessing maybe a '98? I have an '81 F-512 with the natural top, forerunner to the JF-55-12. Guild definitely cornered the top of the 12-string market with these tone monsters, didn't they? I consider these the crown jewel of the Guild offerings, at least of the standard production models. Its a massive guitar, that big headstock is a thing of beauty. (Sure is a pain replacing strings, tho. :( ) What strings are you playing on this one? Right now I have D'Addario phosphor bronze lights, when I have a couple hours I'm going to re-string with Silk&Steel lights and see how the tone comes out.

Hi :)

It's a 2000 if i remember right,one of the last Rhode Island built, or where they built 2001 to ? I actutully is more of a natural top color guy, but this sunburst by Guild is the one i like best. Maybe you have a picture of your 1981 F-512 ?

I've only tried two different strings on this one, the D'Addario PB you mentioned wich where the best. And right now i have Martin Darco lights with a 010 on the high G-string, some really cheap strings i got for free, but they sure sound quite good. The soundclip is with the Darco's.

I'm going to try Elixir lights next time, have a friend who has a simular JF-55-12 and he said the playability (spelling?) was better with those due to the coating.

Let me know how the Silk&Steel turned out for you :)

William63

Reaction score
You know, I have never been a big fan of sun burst guitars, but these ones sure do look very nice!

Abalone

Reaction score
William63 said:
You know, I have never been a big fan of sun burst guitars, but these ones sure do look very nice!

Have to agree with you, i really like the burst on these JF-55's :D Other then that i'm more of a natural collor guy 8)

William63

Reaction score
Abalone said:
William63 said:

Have to agree with you, i really like the burst on these JF-55's :D Other then that i'm more of a natural collor guy 8)

I think the sun burst really makes the abaolone rossette stand out. Very Nice.

Abalone

Reaction score
Taylor815 said:
And here is mine :D

Guild-front-2.jpg

Hello Peter!

Thats the JF-55-12 who totaly blew me away when i tried it, and i had to have one myself 8)

Reaction score
No-one does sunburst Quite like Guild

Those 'Burst' Guilds are quite stunning.
No-one does a sunburst quite like Guild IMHO....... their 50 and 512's are wonderful- looking guitars. Wish I could find a nice one FROM THE 70's with no major issues.
John.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Specs change on these from Westerly to CA as well, or is it photo angle?

Abalone, I'm guessing your's is a Westerly, looks wider across lower bout & a bit more pronounced waist.

Have you compared them side by side?

Abalone

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Specs change on these from Westerly to CA as well, or is it photo angle?

Abalone, I'm guessing your's is a Westerly, looks wider across lower bout & a bit more pronounced waist.

Have you compared them side by side?

Not really sure what you mean, but both my and Taylor815's JF-55-12 are from Westerly RI, only a few serial numbers away from each other, both made in the year 2000.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Comparing the pics of both guitars, it looks as though yours is slightly larger.

Referencing this thread comparing my Westerly X-150D with bobgoblin's Corona built. Recent X-150 pics

HoboKen

Reaction score
I have a Westerly JF-55-12 with the natural top. I use the Elixer light Nono-web strings. Love "em! Even tried 'em on the old Hoboken '66 F-212!

Abalone

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Are the JF 55 12s a little tighter waisted than than the 512s?

From what I've read the JF-55-12 are 17" at the waist.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Abalone,

Did you happen to get this one off of Ebay 3 or 4 months ago or so? I toyed with buying one identical to this(about a '98 Westerly if I recall), but it went well over my price range. Absolutely georgeous guitar. I know you're proud of her!

I'd never liked sunburst until Guild. Still don't like it on any other guitar and most of the new Guilds.

West

Abalone

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Abalone,

Did you happen to get this one off of Ebay 3 or 4 months ago or so? I toyed with buying one identical to this(about a '98 Westerly if I recall), but it went well over my price range. Absolutely georgeous guitar. I know you're proud of her!

I'd never liked sunburst until Guild. Still don't like it on any other guitar and most of the new Guilds.

West

I'm with you, I don't like sunburst either normally. With some exceptions on some Guilds and a few Gibsons sunbursts that are really nice.

No i bought this one 2 years ago from England but I think I saw that one you are talking about a few months ago. How much did it sell for? Can't belive they are so cheap in US, over here they sold for almost $5000 new :shock:

Magnus

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Magnus,

When an American tourist comes to Sweden with a new Guild guitar, do the customs or border guards ask for the tourist to declare the guitar? If not, I will buy a Guild for $3,000 here, and take it there and sell it for $4,000. I would get a free trip, and a Swede would get a guitar for $1,000 less.

Somehow I think the law prevents this.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Abalone,

I think that particular guitar went for around $2000. If we are talking about the same guitar. I do remember on this particular guitar, the seller had taken a bunch of very impressive indoor pictures. some of the best use of lighting I've seen on Ebay.

West