STARFIRE 3

rogersguy

Reaction score
well, i picked up a 67 starfire 3 . the price was great and i couldnt resist. i need help with a couple of things. it has the black stairstep pickguard, but it doesnt say guild. would this be original? does anyone have one for sale that does say guild? also, i hate the tuners. does anyone know what would fit without making any new holes?outside of that, its a great playing,looking, and sounding guitar. thanks again for the help,larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy said:
i picked up a 67 starfire 3 . it has the black stairstep pickguard, but it doesnt say guild. would this be original? does anyone have one for sale that does say guild? also, i hate the tuners. does anyone know what would fit without making any new holes?

Hello Rogersguy,

Re. the pickguard:
No, it should have the gold 'Star' and Guild name. I might be able to help you with a slightly later pickguard from the early '70s though, but it would have the Guild name in 'bold' script lettering.

If it's a Starfire III from 1967 it could have Grover StaTites or the cheaper Japanese made machineheads. If you have the Grover StaTites and they don't work that well any longer, I would go for the 'reissues' that are available from Gotoh or Schaller.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

rogersguy

Reaction score
hi hans, i have the japanese tuners in mine. would the statite reissues fit? send me the price and info on the pickguard if you can to llader@optonline.net thanks,larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Starfire III

rogersguy said:
i have the japanese tuners in mine. would the statite reissues fit?

That depends on which Japanese tuners you have. There are a few possibilities. You probably don't have to do any major drilling in the peghead. You might have to fill the holes for the mounting screws and drill some new holes in the proper places. No big deal really!

Hans

P.S. You have mail!

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi rogersguy,

Check out eBay auction 7349463434. This may be the Guild SF pickguard you are looking for. If you don't snag it I may grab it. It is over in a day and a half. I have been watching it but think you need it more than me.

matsickma

rogersguy

Reaction score
matsickma, thanks for that heads up.......but you go for it. something else came up guitarwise and i think i might have to sell the starfire. larry
(hans, i'll send you an email)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Starfire III

matsickma said:
Hi rogersguy,

Check out eBay auction 7349463434. This may be the Guild SF pickguard you are looking for.

Not the right one for a Starfire. Pickup cut-outs are not right .....and a '67 Starfire needs a 'stairstep' guard.

Sincerely,

Hans