Compare D25s

Reaction score
The post on old D25s got me thinking about trying to find an old D25 that sounds like the one I foolishly traded many years ago. My question is whether anyone has played both an all-mahogany D25 and a spruce-topped/arched back version and can provide their impressions of the differences in sound.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
D-25M

I have never played a spuce top D-25, however I do own a M, so I'm not really qualified to compare the two I suppose. What I can tell you is that the D-25M has unbelievably remarkable projection and sustain like no Martin or Taylor that I have ever heard or played. In fairness, I've never played a 700 series or above Taylor, but recently played D-28 and 35 Martins, and there is no comparison on both projection or sustain. The thing that has always amazed me is that the D-25 was considered a "student" model Guild and the others I mentioned are "premium guitars". You can't go wrong with a good condition, Westerly built D-25M.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Apparently there were three versions of the D-25M early on: 1. Flat braced back with a mahogany top, 2. Bowed, unbraced back with a mahogany top, 3. Bowed unbraced back with a spruce top. I have one of the 3rd variety, produced in 1976. I bought it new with hardshell case in '76 for $300.00, about 1/2 the price of a Martin. I played the Martins, the Gibsons and the Guilds in the same store and quite frankly, the Guild's wood and finish looked richer, the sound was deeper, and was a bit heavier than the others. Its been to a thousand campfires, gigs, jam sessions, etc. and it's still straight and true and has piano-like sustain. A new set of D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums makes her sing like an angel. It has a few battle scars but it was certainly "made to be played". At any rate, I'd like to play all three varieties side-by-side to compare, but my guess is that each has a great sound. Interesting to note that two of the three "M's" had spruce tops...

Reaction score
Comparison

Hi - As I said in another post on D25s - they are remarkable guitars, but I prefer the arched back everytime. I have played all three types (flat, arched with spruce top and arched with mahogany top) and have owned the two arched backs. The mahogany top has the warmest and tightest sound of the three, with aged versions of the spruce top running a close second. The articulation and balance on both are remarkable. The difference to me is what sound one is looking for. The mahogany for the dark warmth or the spruce for the fat power and clarity. The flat backs just don't have the projection of the arched. Cheers! dbsmith

Dudley-Brian Smith
1975 Guild G37SB
1987 Guild GF25NT
1988 Guild GF25BLK
1979 Guild B50SB
1976 Guild B50NT
1969 (Hoboken) Guild F112
1973 Guild F112
1990s Guild M20