Guild X-700 Questions and comments

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I have Guild X-700 B1, Serial No. AK700153, what year was this made?
What is the best amp that brings out the best jazz tone of this amp. I use a Fender Deville and it's just OK to me.

Also, I am having problems since I decided to raise the action a little bit, and ended up having to adjust the pickups for the change. Everything is now a complete mess and is very frustrating. I have struggled for weeks and can't get the sound back. I am very frustrated, please help! What can I do? Thanks.

Ken

Reaction score
I can't comment on the age. I've no idea.

As far as sound is concerned, a Fender Deville, while a nice amp, is not a "real" jazz amp. The reverb is especially harsh (imo).

I play a Guild X-180 Park Ave and a Guild Artist Award (if that's any help).

I currently use one of two reissue Ampegs. A Jet (15 watts, upgraded speaker). The other is a Super Jet (50 watts, upgraded speaker). The reverb on these Ampegs is the deal-maker for me. It is rich, deep, and matches the fat, yet clear tone of a good jazz guitar.

Ampegs desperately need upgraded speakers. I took the Super Jet 12" and put it in the Jet. The one that came with the Jet is way too sloppy and distorty for jazz. I am currently modifying the cab of the Super Jet to fit an EVM 12 (my fave driver). The cab needs to be a little deeper to fit the EVM.

Other choices that I'd recommend are any 12" non-reverb tube Fender. And then get an outboard reverb. The new Gibson combos are nice. You didn't mention price, so there are really lots of choices if you have a fat wallet. The Ampegs are great value for money, though. And can easily be found used.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm just back from a week on tour with "promotor provided amps", we didn't take any backline, and I played a deville 4X10 for two nights and a 2X12 for one, and I really didn't like them at all. The reverb is cold and undynamic indeed, the speakers a little stiff and harsh, and the amp just too loud, unresponsive and cold sounding. (all in comparison to what I'm used to, which is a '68 Super Reverb)
I'd look into vintage Fenders, or "boutique" reproductions to do such a nice guitar justice.

dklsplace

Reaction score
My 2x12 Deville was an entirely different beast with new speakers & tubes. Definitely agree with the comments about the reverb.

Funny that the "Hotrod" series amps would come off the line biased extremely cold. Cranking the bias up made a fair amount of difference in the "warmth" I percieved even with the stock Groove tubes, however I never really found the sound I was after with my X-150D.

The Ampegs are great!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
akoharrey said:
I have Guild X-700 B1, Serial No. AK700153, what year was this made? Thanks. Ken

Hi Ken,

Can help you with the manufacturing date! That's 1997.

Good luck with the rest!

Hans Moust

bobgoblin

Reaction score
old ampegs and gibsons, fenders, even music man amps from the 70's/80's, i guess it really depends on whether you're going for an early, Charlie Christian-type sound, or the more modern sounds coming out of high-wattage, solid state jobbers like clarus, polytone, & evans amps. if you want a little warm break-up, well, see the 1st 3 suggestions, good luck.

Reaction score
Good point, bobgoblin!

If looking for a more "modern" sound, solid state is certainly a great option. Check out the new Fender Jazz King. 140 Watts, 15" speaker. Readily available to audition (which isn't always possible with boutique amps).

As far as "warm break-up" is concerned, I'm putting an EVM in my Ampeg because I'm not fond of speaker breakup. I find it pretty harsh until a certain volume is reached -- and as a jazzer, I never reach that place. So I go for a very clean speaker and let the amp deliver the warmth. 50 watts is plenty for any jazz gig that I do. That would range from corporate cocktail parties of 200-300 people to intimate Sunday brunches at a local restaurant.

In any case, I would take the time to try both tube and s.s.