Early Fender made Guilds, what's the verdict?

samdjr74

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my eye on a 97 Guild X-170T, first time I've ever seen this model. I've seen plenty of 170's but this is very Gretsch like, transparent orange, bigsby and 2 toggles. Besides wondring if anyone has ever seen one before what is the over all impression of Guild after Fender took over?

Thanks,
Sam

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fender owned Guild in 97, but if I'm not mistaken this guitar is still made in the Westerly factory, and the same as a "pre-Fender ownership" Guild.

Mr.Tidy

Reaction score
I love both my Fender (Corona Factory) Guild and my New York Guild...
Westerly... never heard of it...
:D

samdjr74

Reaction score
ok, so I'm looking at a pretty good guitar either way it sounds like. I just wish they where still making it.

Thanks,
Sam

hideglue

Reaction score
My impression is that Fender, at that time, did Guild a great service. The Guilds to really be wary of are the ones made just before FMIC bought the company from U.S. Music. Those days were lean and, quite honestly, out of control.

samdjr74

Reaction score
So would you say that a 2003 model is a quality product?

hideglue

Reaction score
I can't comment on any Guilds made after "the move". I imagine they were close to the Westerly Fender era.

Squawk

Reaction score
samdjr74 said:
So would you say that a 2003 model is a quality product?

I would. I own 3 Corona Guilds - a D50, J30-12 and a Bluesbird std. I notice no quality difference from my Westerly Blues 90, X170 or Starfire III.

samdjr74

Reaction score
That's cool, this guitar has everything I'm looking for in a hollow body so it would be perfect.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
sam, i own a 2003 x-150d, & i would say it's a very high quality product. sounds nice, feels nice, plays great, looks fantastic, no complaints from me. the great thing (and this applies to all guitar, as i'm sure ya'll know), is that they sound, feel, play, & look even better after you've played them for awhile. cheers.

samdjr74

Reaction score
well i'm headed to the music store tomorrow or friday, if it plays and sounds good it's mine, it already looks great. I'll post pictures if I take it home.