2 GUILDS SPOTTED

Reaction score
I just picked up hee haw's 10th year celebration dvd at wal-mart and i wanted to share the enjoyment. If you ever liked vintage instruments, 70's country stars, or just the sites i would recomend buying this dvd. Mel Tillis plays what i think is a d50 bluegrass special and one of his his band has somekind of a solid body electric. It's just a good ol' time for all. If anyone can identify these guitars for sure please post a response.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Guild Spotting

Just caught "Lightning in a Bottle" on cable TV, Danny Korthmar (sp?) is in the house band and plays a Jumbo 12 string on several numbers. I wasn't taking notes, he may have had two of them.

Reaction score
Spotted Guilds

I don't watch a greal deal of television - don't have cable - but some months back, I saw a commercial for the Dodge Magnum - an over-stuffed, steroid-induced retro station wagon. Guy pulls up next to it, sees it's a Dodge, and in paradoy of their own truck commercials, asks the drive, "Hey! You got a Hemi in that thing?" The driver looks over his shoulder and says, "No - a guitar, an amp, two two-by-fours and a ladder." For me, the funny part is that the guitar case has the biggest Guild logo on it I've ever seen on a Guild case. No missing that Guild. Then, there follows a Dodge pick-up commercial with Canadian country singer Terri Clark (I think that's her name) playing a Guild sunburst dreadnaught. Now, everytime I see one of those Magnums, all I can think is, "I wonder if there's a Guild in there?" I don't think that's how the marketing concept was supposed to work. I think I was supposed to want the CAR. Ha! dbs

Reaction score
Spotted Guilds

I don't watch a greal deal of television - don't have cable - but some months back, I saw a commercial for the Dodge Magnum - an over-stuffed, steroid-induced retro station wagon. Guy pulls up next to it, sees it's a Dodge, and in paradoy of their own truck commercials, asks the drive, "Hey! You got a Hemi in that thing?" The driver looks over his shoulder and says, "No - a guitar, an amp, two two-by-fours and a ladder." For me, the funny part is that the guitar case has the biggest Guild logo on it I've ever seen on a Guild case. No missing that Guild. Then, there follows a Dodge pick-up commercial with Canadian country singer Terri Clark (I think that's her name) playing a Guild sunburst dreadnaught. Now, everytime I see one of those Magnums, all I can think is, "I wonder if there's a Guild in there?" I don't think that's how the marketing concept was supposed to work. I think I was supposed to want the CAR. Ha! dbs

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ya Smith,

When I saw that Dodge thing on TV, my wife thought I was nuts because I screamed "Look, there's a Guild in the back!" I've also seen the cute country singer commercial and noticed the Guild. I can't decide if Guild or Dodge is trying to make the comeback.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ya Smith,

When I saw that Dodge thing on TV, my wife thought I was nuts because I screamed "Look, there's a Guild in the back!" I've also seen the cute country singer commercial and noticed the Guild. I can't decide if Guild or Dodge is trying to make the comeback.

Reaction score
Spotted Guild

West - I think it's one of those "market tie-ins" where they "position" one product in another - like characters in a movie drinking Coke - hoping to increase the sales of the product placed. Our engineer and co-producer was certain that "Take the Caravan & Go" from our "Winds of Time" album would be a great thing for Dodge (and us) - He contacted their marketing firm, sent the required materials and never heard another word - which didn't surprise me. Still how cool would that have been - a tie-in in a tie-in as they play "Take the Caravan" and who us loading all those Guilds into the back of a brand new Dodge Caravan. O, well, I probably would've had to get bigger logos on my cases. Or...horrors!!!...they could have made me use a Chinese or Corona Guild. Hahahahahahahahahaha! dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Westerly to the world!

Reaction score
Spotted Guild

West - I think it's one of those "market tie-ins" where they "position" one product in another - like characters in a movie drinking Coke - hoping to increase the sales of the product placed. Our engineer and co-producer was certain that "Take the Caravan & Go" from our "Winds of Time" album would be a great thing for Dodge (and us) - He contacted their marketing firm, sent the required materials and never heard another word - which didn't surprise me. Still how cool would that have been - a tie-in in a tie-in as they play "Take the Caravan" and who us loading all those Guilds into the back of a brand new Dodge Caravan. O, well, I probably would've had to get bigger logos on my cases. Or...horrors!!!...they could have made me use a Chinese or Corona Guild. Hahahahahahahahahaha! dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Westerly to the world!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Now that would have been great. Sorry It didn't work out. The Chinese or Corona Guilds would have been an absolute travesty, of course then again, probably half the Dodge would have been made in China! :cry:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Now that would have been great. Sorry It didn't work out. The Chinese or Corona Guilds would have been an absolute travesty, of course then again, probably half the Dodge would have been made in China! :cry: