Guild rosewood "small jumbos": A-50, GF-60R, F-30

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
Hello:

A while back, Hans was kind enough to answer a question regarding the A-50 model, which has a lower bout of 15" and a nut width of 1 3/4"... Thanks again, Hans!

I am so confused by these different models. Am I correct in assuming that the F-30R and the GF-60R both have lower bouts of 16" and nut widths of 1 11/16? Are there any differences between these two models?

And, with regard to all three models, are their any differences in the bracing (e.g., scalloped vs non-scalloped, etc.)?

Thanks,

Bob

refret

Reaction score
I have a '74 F-30 R in the occasional early 70s brazilian rosewood. Nice little rig. Sort of heavy, but still a nice one. I plan to pull the rosewood bridgeplate in the future and replace it with maple. Great e-bay find, it was listed just as an F-30. I paid around 700 bucks. I saw the back strip in the lousy photo and knew it was an F-30R. Quite a surprise when I got it and saw the back and sides.......nicely figured sides, straight grain back.

john_kidder

Reaction score
GF-60R

GF-60R - successor to the Gruhn-designed F-46, nut width 1 13/16", lower bout 16", scalloped bracing, diamond inlays, G-shield headstock.

I do like the F-30 (and I'm surely envious of refret's continuing ability to score great guitars, even more envious of his ability to make them even better with his beautiful work. But the GF-60R is not even remotely the same guitar as the F-30. Mine is just my favourite-ever acoustic guitar, eats Martins and Gibsons (and other Guilds) for breakfast.

Cheers,
John Kidder

Reaction score
Small jumbos

Bob - I agree with Mr. Kidder, the GF60 isn't remotely similar to the F-30. For one thing the body style of the two are completely different and the GF series (Gruhn designed) is much deeper and more of a 'fat figure of 8' than the F-30. I have two GF25s - a 1987NT and a 1988Black. Even between the two, there are differences, but the basic profile doesn't resemble the F-30 at all. I have a buddy with an F-30 I've used in the studio. Superb instrument, but radically different in sound and set-up from the GFs. The F-30 has a sweet, mellow sound and great for finger work. The GFs are meaty with lots of wallop and great in my open tunings and driving rhythms. The F-30 usually figures in as a second rhythm or a lead instrument. The F-30s lower bout width from the 70s on was 15.5" and depth of 4 7/8". The GF25 (lower end of the range that the GF60 topped) is 16" wide with a depth of 4.25" (that's the 1988, the 1987 is slightly shallower). I hope this helps some. Cheers! dbsmith

Reaction score
Looking for Minis

BTW - If you'll bear and forebear - I REALLY LOVE the GF25 - Gruhn designed. I have an 87NT and a Black 88. The difference between the two is staggering with the 88 being heavier, more depth and changes to the neck. I asked George about the changes in specs and he said he knew nothing about changes. Jay Pilzer commented that ...that was just Guild. Well, my thought was they were always a players shop and changed with players input. The 88 is incredible for the road - with a hard-hitting bottom end. The 87 is great in the studio. However, they are rare to find. I have a 1975 Guild G-37 that is and has been since 1977 my principal studio guitar, but I rarely take it on the road for I could never replace it should the unthinkable happen. So, I'd like to find another GF25 to replace it. I'd prefer an 88, 89 or 90 - don't know much about them after that, though I would be interested. I'd prefer a sunburst - sentimental reasons (the G37 is sunburst). Not keen on maple - prefer mahogany back and sides and the GF25 has an arched back. I don't want a pick-up it. I don't care about the cosmetics - just as long as it's structurally sound and has a great sound. Anyone know of one? I'm on a limited budget and in no hurry, so keep my in mind. I play in open tuning, so....thanks for thinking of me....dbs

Reaction score
Looking for Minis

BTW - If you'll bear and forebear - I REALLY LOVE the GF25 - Gruhn designed. I have an 87NT and a Black 88. The difference between the two is staggering with the 88 being heavier, more depth and changes to the neck. I asked George about the changes in specs and he said he knew nothing about changes. Jay Pilzer commented that ...that was just Guild. Well, my thought was they were always a players shop and changed with players input. The 88 is incredible for the road - with a hard-hitting bottom end. The 87 is great in the studio. However, they are rare to find. I have a 1975 Guild G-37 that is and has been since 1977 my principal studio guitar, but I rarely take it on the road for I could never replace it should the unthinkable happen. So, I'd like to find another GF25 to replace it. I'd prefer an 88, 89 or 90 - don't know much about them after that, though I would be interested. I'd prefer a sunburst - sentimental reasons (the G37 is sunburst). Not keen on maple - prefer mahogany back and sides and the GF25 has an arched back. I don't want a pick-up it. I don't care about the cosmetics - just as long as it's structurally sound and has a great sound. Anyone know of one? I'm on a limited budget and in no hurry, so keep my in mind. I play in open tuning, so....thanks for thinking of me....dbs

john_kidder

Reaction score
And look at this price for a GF-50!!!

Astonishing.

'87 GF-50 for $2855

Very pretty guitar, apparently like-new condition, but holey smokes, what a price? Or am I missing something? Has my GF-60R suddenly gone way up in value? And I obviously should never have sold the F-46 or D-66, if this is an indication of modern values for Gruhn Guilds.

Cheers all, and hang on to them Guilds,
John

john_kidder

Reaction score
And look at this price for a GF-50!!!

Astonishing.

'87 GF-50 for $2855

Very pretty guitar, apparently like-new condition, but holey smokes, what a price? Or am I missing something? Has my GF-60R suddenly gone way up in value? And I obviously should never have sold the F-46 or D-66, if this is an indication of modern values for Gruhn Guilds.

Cheers all, and hang on to them Guilds,
John

Reaction score
Guild G-spot

Yeah, I watched that sale. It was pretty amazing and went berserk at the end. Sorry, but I just can't see that price for that guitar. Nice though it was - jeepers. What'll that make your GF-60, John? About $4,000...maybe $5,000. Maybe I'm missing something, I bought my last GF25 two years ago for $400. What a steal.

Dudley-Brian Smith
"Having a bad day? Try a Westerly Guild!

Reaction score
Guild G-spot

Yeah, I watched that sale. It was pretty amazing and went berserk at the end. Sorry, but I just can't see that price for that guitar. Nice though it was - jeepers. What'll that make your GF-60, John? About $4,000...maybe $5,000. Maybe I'm missing something, I bought my last GF25 two years ago for $400. What a steal.

Dudley-Brian Smith
"Having a bad day? Try a Westerly Guild!

john_kidder

Reaction score
I agree, it's a little bizarre. But I'm not really tempted to list the GF-60, yet. More, I'd like to be flush enough to keep on buying those Gruhn Guilds when they do come up (not at that price, mind you). I'm convinced that they're sleepers.

John

john_kidder

Reaction score
I agree, it's a little bizarre. But I'm not really tempted to list the GF-60, yet. More, I'd like to be flush enough to keep on buying those Gruhn Guilds when they do come up (not at that price, mind you). I'm convinced that they're sleepers.

John

Reaction score
spotted Gruhns

John - I agree. My wife originally bought the black 88 GF25 that's now my main road guitar in open C. She bought it think it was a smaller body than her D25. However, the hips are just a bit wider and after a bit, she gave it to me when I bought her an M-20. I was blown away when I dropped it to open C - such muscle without losing clarity. Ol' George knew what he was doing. I REALLY favor the arched backs, which I believe only the GF25, GF30 and GF40 had. Hans will have to verify this, but I believe the GF50 and GF55 - like your GF60 - had flat backs of Rosewood. But that archedc back is what sells me. The GF30 was maple, which I'm not so keen on - beautiful, but just not the sound I'm looking for. dbs

Reaction score
spotted Gruhns

John - I agree. My wife originally bought the black 88 GF25 that's now my main road guitar in open C. She bought it think it was a smaller body than her D25. However, the hips are just a bit wider and after a bit, she gave it to me when I bought her an M-20. I was blown away when I dropped it to open C - such muscle without losing clarity. Ol' George knew what he was doing. I REALLY favor the arched backs, which I believe only the GF25, GF30 and GF40 had. Hans will have to verify this, but I believe the GF50 and GF55 - like your GF60 - had flat backs of Rosewood. But that archedc back is what sells me. The GF30 was maple, which I'm not so keen on - beautiful, but just not the sound I'm looking for. dbs

Reaction score
Spotted Guilds 2

John - the following is something I found on another thread in a post from Hans - talking on the GF55 bluelizard bought. There's a photo and it's a beauty. dbs

It's (GF55) relatively rare and one of the GF-models that was introduced in 1989 when some of the Gruhn-designed models with their typical ornamentation were discontinued. So basically, it has the shape of a Gruhn-designed GF model but with the traditional Guild trimmings. In this case the trimmings are similar to an F-50R or a D-55. The tortoise style pickguard would be the exception but Guild never was very strict with the use of it's trimmings. The model was discontinued during 1993 with a total of 166 instruments made. Hope this helps some! Hans

Reaction score
Spotted Guilds 2

John - the following is something I found on another thread in a post from Hans - talking on the GF55 bluelizard bought. There's a photo and it's a beauty. dbs

It's (GF55) relatively rare and one of the GF-models that was introduced in 1989 when some of the Gruhn-designed models with their typical ornamentation were discontinued. So basically, it has the shape of a Gruhn-designed GF model but with the traditional Guild trimmings. In this case the trimmings are similar to an F-50R or a D-55. The tortoise style pickguard would be the exception but Guild never was very strict with the use of it's trimmings. The model was discontinued during 1993 with a total of 166 instruments made. Hope this helps some! Hans

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So what's the implications for Gruhn's D60, D62, D64, D66 series? I looked for a D64 for years, couldn't find even one. (But lately, I ran out of money, so quit looking.) My opinion: D64s are among the greatest maples ever. Better than any Gibson, but for me that ain't saying much.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
So what's the implications for Gruhn's D60, D62, D64, D66 series? I looked for a D64 for years, couldn't find even one. (But lately, I ran out of money, so quit looking.) My opinion: D64s are among the greatest maples ever. Better than any Gibson, but for me that ain't saying much.