Who knows Nashville?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Taking some vacation time soon & trying to plan a trip to the Nashville TN area. Anyone around there?
Anyone know it well enough to make recommendations for places to stay/visit?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Taking some vacation time soon & trying to plan a trip to the Nashville TN area. Anyone around there?
Anyone know it well enough to make recommendations for places to stay/visit?

Hi Don,

Not exactly an expert on Nashville but I go there on a regular basis. Actually, I'm in Nashville as I'm writing this. There are a lot of places you can go to in Nashville and you should be able to find a lot of them in the tourist brochures. I personally tend to stay away from the tourist attractions that have something to do with Country Music, but you might enjoy some of that. I would definitely recommend a visit to Gruhn Guitars on Broadway. People from around here have been telling me for years that I should visit Mammoth Cave, which is located halfway Louisville and Nashville. So far I haven't had a chance to go there, but they say it's a must. Maybe something you should check out.

Have fun! Hans

dklsplace

Reaction score
Thanks Hans. I'm not what I'd describe as a country music fan...but my wife gives me that look when I have rockabilly playing. :?

Gruhn's had completely slipped my mind, though I was just looking up the authorized Guild dealers in the area. I'll probably spend a day hitting the music stores & trying to find the ever elusive pawn shop deal.

wabash slim

Reaction score
nashville

Visit the Gibson Store---even if you don't like them, it's most impressive.
By all means visit Mammoth Cave---you can spend days in there on guided trips alone---It's not a "typical" cave---and it is Mammoth. It's a halc an hour north of Bowling Green<KY. While there, check out the Corvette Museum and factory---both interesting visits, and the cleanest car factory I've ever been in. Memphis is not too far, either, and it's the home of some great music, too.

wabash slim

Reaction score
nashville

Visit the Gibson Store---even if you don't like them, it's most impressive.
By all means visit Mammoth Cave---you can spend days in there on guided trips alone---It's not a "typical" cave---and it is Mammoth. It's a halc an hour north of Bowling Green<KY. While there, check out the Corvette Museum and factory---both interesting visits, and the cleanest car factory I've ever been in. Memphis is not too far, either, and it's the home of some great music, too.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yeah, we wandered around the Gibson store. Lots & lots of Epiphones. Even a few Guild acoustics.

Hey Slim...do you know Brent at Brent's Bench in Lafayette? He's downstairs in Klaveringas.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yeah, we wandered around the Gibson store. Lots & lots of Epiphones. Even a few Guild acoustics.

Hey Slim...do you know Brent at Brent's Bench in Lafayette? He's downstairs in Klaveringas.

Reaction score
Nashville cats

I lived in Nashville in the early 80's working for a publishing/production company. I was NOT into country music and found the town absurdly 'political'. But it was not without its charms. I got a special tour of the Country Music Museum which Bill, the director then, showed me the new exhibit materials John Ritter had brought the day before for his dad, Tex Ritter. Because acoustic music was and is what country music prided itself on - there was a lot to see and drink in. They are in a new building, but I can't imagine it's anything more than fabulous. Also, Gruhn's music is a "must see". George was really nice to me while I was there - not that I'm anyone he would remember - but his store was fascinating then and the repair department is not to be missed. Of course, George is a bit of Guild history, too. There were always good acoustic shows to see - Sam Bush and others living in the area made for some memorable evenings, so look to see what's on at the Bluebird Cafe and other places. Then, there's also some wonderful scenery once outside of town and a charm to places like Franklin. Hope you have a great trip. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair/Stevenson Productions
http://www.smithfieldfair.com

Reaction score
Nashville cats

I lived in Nashville in the early 80's working for a publishing/production company. I was NOT into country music and found the town absurdly 'political'. But it was not without its charms. I got a special tour of the Country Music Museum which Bill, the director then, showed me the new exhibit materials John Ritter had brought the day before for his dad, Tex Ritter. Because acoustic music was and is what country music prided itself on - there was a lot to see and drink in. They are in a new building, but I can't imagine it's anything more than fabulous. Also, Gruhn's music is a "must see". George was really nice to me while I was there - not that I'm anyone he would remember - but his store was fascinating then and the repair department is not to be missed. Of course, George is a bit of Guild history, too. There were always good acoustic shows to see - Sam Bush and others living in the area made for some memorable evenings, so look to see what's on at the Bluebird Cafe and other places. Then, there's also some wonderful scenery once outside of town and a charm to places like Franklin. Hope you have a great trip. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair/Stevenson Productions
http://www.smithfieldfair.com