Philly Guitar SHow (bummer)

billydlight

Reaction score
I just got back from the Philly Guitar Show..... I am beginning to wonder if we are running out of vintage guitars in this country. Very little of any interest, not very many Guilds at all, I saw about 3. Saw a TV yellow Jr for $12,500 (!) and got yelled at by the 16 yr old in the booth when he overheard me suggesting that number was a little insane. Jay Pilzer the Guild guy had more Fenders than anything else. A sad day for me all the way around. The state of vintage guitar is getting a bit nuts. The stuff that is out there is very rarely straight, and totally overpriced. I mean $10,000 for a 67 tele with a refin?? yipe!

Sorry for the rant I would love to hear what every one else thinks, and feel free to tell me I'm crazy if you think so.

-B

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I saw an X500 there on Sat. that was there this summer. I couldn't find it Sunday when I looked - I don't know if the dealer left early, or it was sold. Jay had a couple nice things, a very early X-something (330?) blonde single pickup. Saw a couple overpriced early sixties SF III's (have experience w/ that dealer) and some new X160's.

My son liked the $15,000 Fiesta Red (factory refinished) Fender bass VI.

I bought an Ampeg GU 12 that sounded cool (and about 1/3 the price of a SF Princeton Reverb) - waiting to try it with my X160 - then came home and bought a DiPinto off of eBay. I'll save the real money for a good Guild when I find another one.

What I'm really bummed about is having to wait until the end of July for the next Philly show!

jpilzer

Reaction score
Guild Guys Guilds

Hey Billy, Of the almost 50 guitars I had at the Philly Show, 70% were Guilds. I don't recall having any Fenders. I had a '53 X-330, a very cool X-50, a '60's F-212, a '70 F-20, a '67 Starfire Bass, a '74 M-85 bass, and a bunch of really nice Guilds. Jay

billydlight

Reaction score
Hey Jay, that was not a slight to you I was just lamenting the whole scene. I was speaking more specifically of archtops. Please don't take it personally.
-B

jpilzer

Reaction score
No ofense taken

Hi Billy, I was just surprised that you missed my Guilds and thought I was loaded with Fenders. I think you confused me with someone else. However, the fact that the X-330 I have is a '53, is the 78th Guild evermade, is priced well below $2000, and got no interest at the show surprises me no end. Jay

RAO

Reaction score
I saw it Jay and liked it very much!
I can't complain, I picked this up:
2efb1114.jpg

Every year is pretty much the same. Prices constantly go up and nothing you were looking for ever shows up. Despite that, every year I sell a couple guitars and always come home with a couple very cool ones so I can't complain.
The little ships rise in the tide with the big ships, so if pre CBS Teles are seeing mega increases, so will the 60s and 70s stuff.
Jay, you may not remember the conversation, but I need to send you an email about the Bigsby, truss rod cover, and pickguard for my Duane Eddy.

RAO

Reaction score
Thanks boys. It sounds and plays so well now that I don't wanna mess with the magic. Super loud acoustically for such a little guitar. Plus the binding is loose at the waist so I don't wanna get into too deep a project.
Walter knows how long I've been drooling for one of these. Why did I wait so long Walter? This is an awesome guitar!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Thought for a moment that this might have been the one I missed at Lucchesi's, & was about to feel sorry for myself all over again. Different headstock though...so now I'm really happy for you RAO :p