OT for Fairfield - Did our paths cross?

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
When I saw the name "Dudley" it occurred to me that I either knew or knew of a Dudley Smith back in the mid to late seventies.

My real name is Jim Adams, and I used recruit Cenla area bands to play gigs at LSU-A for the take at the door. It seems to me that either a girl named Valerie got me in touch with some brothers who played a dance gig one night (she played some keyboards with them, and I remember the solo to 'Tequila Sunrise' was done on either trumpet or trombone, not guitar), or else another fellow named Ray Odell told me to go down to a bar on Upper Third (I believe it was called the Chalet) to find out if we could get the band -once again, family brothers and cousins - to come out to LSUA and do a dance gig.

Anyway, that was a long time ago, but I was wondering if that could have been you in either of those scenarios?

Regards,

CK

Reaction score
Some, but not all

Jim - Greetings. Yes, I remember you at LSUA. Don't know about the 'Valeria' - but I do know Raymond Odell - he and his brothers and I and mine were all in Scouting together. I just saw Bruce, a ceramic artists in Lafayette, the other day at the book store. Older brother Bobby and I were at LSU together - I having gone through the military first - and we played together at LSU's Center Stage Coffeehouse. With my brothers Joel & Bob - we played the Chalet with drummer Bill Jonson and guitarist Lynn Brunson as "Panama" - never had a trumpeter play with us, but possibly here's the explanation. My brothers and I were 'Charmer' and when that band wasn't available, I put together other outfits to keep working. At one time, I worked some LSUA dates with guitarist/vocalist David Marler, drummer Bill Jonson, and bassist/vocalist Ben Flynn - myself on guitar and vocals. Ben was a trumpeter and it is possible that when he played with Marler in other arrangements they may have had him play trumpet. I remember playing a dance at LSUA where we played things like Alan Parsons Project, Little River Band, Beatles, Eagles, Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc. - popular music of the time.

But, I was more comfortable with and better known for 'Charmer' with strong vocals and acoustic instrumentation. We had a single in 1977 that did pretty well regionally - A Place In Your Heart - and our first album - Only the Wind - came out in 1981. For a long time, we were the house band at Roscoes and then move to a similar situation at The Cotton Gin in Alexandria and Poet's in Baton Rouge. Charmer would produce 8 albums and open concerts for a list that included Arlo Guthrie, LeRoux, Washington Squares, Jesse Winchester, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, John Prine, and continue until 1989. In 2004, Charmer (which later my wife, Jan) reunited for a 30th anniversary performance as part of the gala opening of the new state of the arts performance theatre in Alexandria - Coughlin-Saunders - and the release of 'The Perfect Cafe' a 16-song compilation (if you're interested, go to http://www.rambles.net and read a review of the disc). You can check out our web site for photos of the reunion - http://www.smithfieldfair.com

So, how did you get so far from home? How are you doing? dbs

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Hi Dudley,

I find it amazing what the Internet has done for civilization in terms of people communicating across the years and miles.

I was an Army officer for eight years after I graduated from LSU, eventually married a girl from Maryland and moved here in 1988. We had a son together then divorced, and so I have been sort of stuck here.

I opened up a specialty running store- http://www.baltimorerunning.com - among other things we are believed to have the largest inventory of Scottish kilts of any specialty running store on the East Coast (or maybe anywhere for that matter!)

I sponsor two road races a year - The Dreaded Druid Hills in June and the Celtic Solstice in December. We use Cari Buziak of Aon Celtic Art (http://www.aon-celtic.com) to design our shirts. Now I am going to have to order some of your recordings for prizes!

Also, I used to run into Bruce Odell periodically as he would pass through Baltimore doing the East Coast craft show circuit to get orders for his pottery. We were great friends back in the high school days, I need to look him up since it has been a couple of years now.

I am not musically talented, no rhythm, tone deaf, and fumble fingered, but I love Guild guitars, and have been trying to build a little collection for my own satisfaction. I just wished I played well enough and often enough to show off my skills and gear to the world at large, but alas, that was never my calling in life.

I still have my mother, brother, and sister in Alex. When I get back that way I will look you up, and hopefully get a chance to catch you in concert.

Regards for now,

CK

Reaction score
Alexandria daze

Jim -- Wow! A specialty running store with kilts? Very cool! I hope you enjoyed the Smithfield Fair CDs you ordered. It is always exciting to meet old friends and for them to hear and react to our music. Love to know your thoughts. Just before going to LSUA, I was in the Navy for 4 years and had a great band and good times in Pensacola. Moving back to Alexandria was a bit sobering as it was smaller and less arts oriented. Still, with friends like David Praet and David Marler and my brothers - not to mention great music stores like Al Whitney at Alexandria music and Charlie Humphries at Professional - well, it ended up being a cool time. We released the first Charmer CD - A Place In Your Hear/Crazy With the Wind - in 1977 and make Alex our base for the next 4-5 years. At one point, we were the houseband at Roscoe's and down at Jackson Station was my dear friend Steve Conn with his band - Sonny Landreth, Danny Milliner and Terry Nichols. We would wander back and forth on breaks to catch each other and stay in touch today. Steve's in Nashville, Danny's with Brooks & Dunne and Sonny is...well, as Clapton said, one of the 5 best guitarists on the planet. In all, Alexandria was/is a very unique place and everywhere I have ever traveled, I have run into people from or with an Alex connection.
Baltimore has House of Music Traditions - where we've bought several accordions for Jan and I understand there is a LOT of music there. We were hoping at one time that they would bring Smithfield Fair up for one of their concerts, but hasn't happened yet. Perhaps one day.
Like you, I still have family in Alex. and we are there about once a month. I always go to a couple of pawn shops looking for old Al Whitney Guilds. I rarely if ever see any and never see them in the "Thrifty Nickel" or Town Talk classifieds. We still record at Praet recording and will do a new album project with an ARMY of Guilds (see the list below for a lark) in April with David Praet on lead guitar and Merel Bregante (Loggins & Messina/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band/Sunshine Company) on drums/percussion and both of them co-producing with the band. Going to be outrageously fun.
Perhaps, when you're going to visit, you can let me know at info@smithfieldfair.com and if things work out, we can have lunch. Best to you and stay in touch. Cheers! dbs
(PS - I still see Bruce Odell from time to time and occasionally do an arts thing together. He's living in Lafayette currently.)

Reaction score
Alexandria daze

Jim -- Wow! A specialty running store with kilts? Very cool! I hope you enjoyed the Smithfield Fair CDs you ordered. It is always exciting to meet old friends and for them to hear and react to our music. Love to know your thoughts. Just before going to LSUA, I was in the Navy for 4 years and had a great band and good times in Pensacola. Moving back to Alexandria was a bit sobering as it was smaller and less arts oriented. Still, with friends like David Praet and David Marler and my brothers - not to mention great music stores like Al Whitney at Alexandria music and Charlie Humphries at Professional - well, it ended up being a cool time. We released the first Charmer CD - A Place In Your Hear/Crazy With the Wind - in 1977 and make Alex our base for the next 4-5 years. At one point, we were the houseband at Roscoe's and down at Jackson Station was my dear friend Steve Conn with his band - Sonny Landreth, Danny Milliner and Terry Nichols. We would wander back and forth on breaks to catch each other and stay in touch today. Steve's in Nashville, Danny's with Brooks & Dunne and Sonny is...well, as Clapton said, one of the 5 best guitarists on the planet. In all, Alexandria was/is a very unique place and everywhere I have ever traveled, I have run into people from or with an Alex connection.
Baltimore has House of Music Traditions - where we've bought several accordions for Jan and I understand there is a LOT of music there. We were hoping at one time that they would bring Smithfield Fair up for one of their concerts, but hasn't happened yet. Perhaps one day.
Like you, I still have family in Alex. and we are there about once a month. I always go to a couple of pawn shops looking for old Al Whitney Guilds. I rarely if ever see any and never see them in the "Thrifty Nickel" or Town Talk classifieds. We still record at Praet recording and will do a new album project with an ARMY of Guilds (see the list below for a lark) in April with David Praet on lead guitar and Merel Bregante (Loggins & Messina/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band/Sunshine Company) on drums/percussion and both of them co-producing with the band. Going to be outrageously fun.
Perhaps, when you're going to visit, you can let me know at info@smithfieldfair.com and if things work out, we can have lunch. Best to you and stay in touch. Cheers! dbs
(PS - I still see Bruce Odell from time to time and occasionally do an arts thing together. He's living in Lafayette currently.)