Tacoma F 50 R

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I had some extra shekels a few months ago and picked up a brand new Tacoma F 50R off Ebay with BIN. I guess now that I have had it a few months I should write a review, but it seems I just can't get motivated to spend the time right now.

But if anyone is interested......

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
The Challenger:
Pictures%201%20015.jpg
[/img]

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Taking up Bandwidth to follow

I have tried to get these to post in a reasonable size, but for whatever reason this board insists on posting them in their huge sizes...my apologies in advance.

CK

dklsplace

Reaction score
Re: Taking up Bandwidth to follow

Cypress Knee said:
I have tried to get these to post in a reasonable size, but for whatever reason this board insists on posting them in their huge sizes...my apologies in advance.

I have a modification for the forum that should be able to fix this automatically...but it will take some time for me to get to it I'm afraid.

FYI, whatever software you're using should have some sort of "convert to web format" or resize option. If you keep pics under 600 pixels (width or height) it shouldn't stretch the post.

Beauty of a guitar! Yes, I would like to read a review when you get 'round to it.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Here is just a short review, I will post something more detailed when I have more time in the future, maybe.

First of all, I came across a '73 F 50R. So I am comparing a '73 F50R and an '80 F50 (both Westerly) to an '05 Tacoma.

The '80 maple is a completely different sounding guitar than the other two. The rosewoods are deep and bright at the same time, while the maple just seems to be a very mellow warm all around.

If I had to keep just one, I would take the '73R. If I kept just two I would choose the '73 and the '80.

But if the '73 were not in the picture and I could only choose between the Tacoma Rosewood and the maple, then I would take the Tacoma.

All this from a guy who can't change from E to A in less than the time it that it takes Tiger Woods to sink a ten-foot putt. Maybe I should take up golf instead.

Regards,

CK

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Here is just a short review, I will post something more detailed when I have more time in the future, maybe.

First of all, I came across a '73 F 50R. So I am comparing a '73 F50R and an '80 F50 (both Westerly) to an '05 Tacoma.

The '80 maple is a completely different sounding guitar than the other two. The rosewoods are deep and bright at the same time, while the maple just seems to be a very mellow warm all around.

If I had to keep just one, I would take the '73R. If I kept just two I would choose the '73 and the '80.

But if the '73 were not in the picture and I could only choose between the Tacoma Rosewood and the maple, then I would take the Tacoma.

All this from a guy who can't change from E to A in less than the time it that it takes Tiger Woods to sink a ten-foot putt. Maybe I should take up golf instead.

Regards,

CK

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a nice set of clubs I'll trade you for that '73 F-50R :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a nice set of clubs I'll trade you for that '73 F-50R :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear all of this Cypress. I've always loved the sound of my maple JF-30 12, but know what you mean about the sound of a rosewood guitar. Like you, I am no Doyle Dykes, but I truly appreciate a fine guitar.

You are the first person I have heard who owns both a Westerly and Tacoma compare the two. It will be interesting for you to see how the Tacoma stands the test of time. It is my understanding that California regulations prohibited the use of nitrocellulose on the Corona models and that those (Coronas) have a tendency to finish crack or check. The move to Tacoma I believe was supposed to remedy that.

Good to hear that you have a great sounding guitar in the Tacoma. Maybe there is hope for our future and collectors 50 years from now will say "Hey, I was lucky enough to find this great deal on a Tacoma Guild!"

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear all of this Cypress. I've always loved the sound of my maple JF-30 12, but know what you mean about the sound of a rosewood guitar. Like you, I am no Doyle Dykes, but I truly appreciate a fine guitar.

You are the first person I have heard who owns both a Westerly and Tacoma compare the two. It will be interesting for you to see how the Tacoma stands the test of time. It is my understanding that California regulations prohibited the use of nitrocellulose on the Corona models and that those (Coronas) have a tendency to finish crack or check. The move to Tacoma I believe was supposed to remedy that.

Good to hear that you have a great sounding guitar in the Tacoma. Maybe there is hope for our future and collectors 50 years from now will say "Hey, I was lucky enough to find this great deal on a Tacoma Guild!"