Buddy Guy and Starfire IV

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've posted this query on Bigroad Blues with no result, so will give it a shot here. (As we say in N.Z. "It's worth a crack, Nigel") Can anybody on the forum reliably inform me, on what albums / tracks does B.G. play a Starfire IV ? B.G. Mississippi John, Lightnin' Hopkins et al have a lot to answer for !! They started me on this Guild trip a long, long time ago. Not to mention the Lovin' Spoonful. Kind of ages me a bit, doesn't it !!

jlb

Reaction score
Buddy Guy and Guilds

Coastie - check out Stone Crazy! from 1981 on Alligator. It has a couple of pictures of Buddy with a Starfire at least, and his tone on the record definitely does not sound like a Strat. It's one of his most-praised records, though I don't really care for it that much, and I don't like his tone at times - the trebles can be pretty harsh. But much of it of course is simply wonderful and sounds very good too (it was cut live in a studio in France so it's pretty raw and spontaneous), and it's a real treat to hear his brother Phil's fine rhythm guitar work. FWIW, I saw the last few minutes of Buddy opening for BB King in 2000, where it looked from a distance like he was playing a Blues 90 - and he sounded great with that.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned - so it does !! This album is sitting in a cabinet here, right under my nose !! B.G. is playing in New Zealand soon - on a week day and at one venue only, which I can't get to. I AM SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF !!!!!!!!! Thanks heaps for the info. I'm off to revisit that album right now. Kind regards, Gary.

jlb

Reaction score
Missing Buddy

I can "relate" - the only time I saw the Dead was in New Orleans in early 1970 the night they got "busted down on Bourbon Street /Set up like a bowling pin" - since they were in NO Central Lockup they didn't come on until 4:30 in the morning (after 3 hours of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - who were incredible) and because we had to get the girls back to the dorm at LSU Baton Rouge by 7 or something like that, we only heard 1/2 hour of them. Great version of Morning Dew, though. Glad to be of help, Jeff.