F30 from mid 90's quesiton

chetmz

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and think it is great that there's a 'gathering place' for lovers of Guilds. I am just starting to play again after many years away. However, I fondly remember the Starfire 3 I got when I was a teenager in 1967.
My question concerns two F30's I've found. Both were made in Westerly, RI. in the 90's. One of the owners told me he is selling it because he has 2 older ones he likes better. However, he said he thought the sides and back were laminated and not solid wood. I thougth they were all built with solid mahogany sides and back. Can anyone confirm this for me. Thanks
After I find one these I like I'm thinking about a D50.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
chetmz said:
My question concerns two F30's I've found. Both were made in Westerly, RI. in the 90's. One of the owners told me he is selling it because he has 2 older ones he likes better. However, he said he thought the sides and back were laminated and not solid wood. I thougth they were all built with solid mahogany sides and back. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Hello chetmz,

Welcome! The history of the F-30 is a little confusing. But here's some info (in a nutshell). The original F-30's from the '50s had laminated backs. Guild went to solid mahogany backs at the end of the 50's and it stayed that way up till the early '80s when they went to a laminated mahogany back.
The model was discontinued during the second half of the '80s and when it was reissued during the second half of the '90s it did get a solid mahogany back again. So, that means that there should be no F-30 from the '90s with a laminated back.
Don't confuse the F-30 with the F-30CE, which was available during the first half of the '90s. It had a laminated back but was a totally different guitar altogether.

I hope this helps some. Just get back if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

chetmz

Reaction score
Thank you for the informatoin Hans. That does clear things up a bit. A few other questions; I have seen a price range on these of about $400-$1000. I assume the higher end is for a good condition instrument from the 60's and that one from the 90's, in reasoable shape would fall to the lower end.
Also I am just curious about the F30's sale price for a new instrument 10 years ago.Finally, I was given a serial number of AF300451 which I can't find on the sites I have checked.
By the way, I guess if I am going to truly join the "Guild Club" I should try and locate your book which I have seen referred to on several other posts.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild F-30

chetmz said:
Thank you for the informatoin Hans. That does clear things up a bit. A few other questions; I have seen a price range on these of about $400-$1000. I assume the higher end is for a good condition instrument from the 60's and that one from the 90's, in reasoable shape would fall to the lower end.
Also I am just curious about the F30's sale price for a new instrument 10 years ago.Finally, I was given a serial number of AF300451 which I can't find on the sites I have checked.
By the way, I guess if I am going to truly join the "Guild Club" I should try and locate your book which I have seen referred to on several other posts.

Hello again chetmz,

The $ 1000.00 top end seems reasonable to me but I don't think you would find one as low as $ 400.00 unless there is something wrong with the instrument. But maybe you will be lucky!

The serial number you gave ( #AF300451) is from 1998. Like I said in my previous posting, that would be an instrument with a solid mahogany back.
However there were 2 different finish options at that time. You had the F-30-HR (hand rubbed finish) that retailed for $ 1099.99 and there was the F-30-HG, which had a high-gloss lacquer finish and it retailed for $ 1299.99.

And yes, you should buy a copy of the Guild Book. Not that you have to, but I'm sure you will enjoy it even though it does not cover the instruments made after 1977. You will have to wait for that one.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes Hans,

How long are we going to have to wait for the 1977- sequel? :lol: I am just chomping at the bit here waiting for this thing as it if were a collectors addition of "Gone With The Wind" :shock: No, just kidding, I'm sure good books, like fine wine, take time. No hurry, I'll just keep reading the old one! Happy New Year.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
By the way Hans, I did check out your new website. Very nice. Congrats on the site!