Doyle Dykes

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I know most of you are probably familiar with him. And I also know he is a Taylor guy. I recently had the pleasure and thrill of sitting about 20 feet away from Doyle Dykes while he played for 1 hour and 45 minutes and I truly believe he might be the best guitarist I have seen in my life. He was as fast as lighting and so precise.

If you are not familiar with his music and love acoustic guitar, check him out at DoyleDykes.com.

Mo

Reaction score
My wife and I have seen him several times both at clinics and concerts. He is an amazing fingerpicker and a true gentleman. I too consider him one of the best pickers in the world.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Doyle Dyke

West,

A while back You mentined Doyle Dyke plays at your church on occasion . I just happened to run onto a couple from Georgia recently on a high Montana mountain road.

Got to talking a bit & they mentioned Doyle Dyke plays an annual show at their church. He fills the house & special arrangements have been made for a second show or was it building a bigger sanctuary to accomodate a larger crowd,

I thought maybe this "Small World" bit might give you a grin. 8)

[/img]

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's interesting Jeff. Mr. Dykes will be playing here in October and that's an evening that I really look forward to. Doyle plays churches all over the country, but also does secular music venues such as the Grand Ol' Opry and Branson.

If you ever get the chance to see him perform, you have to see him in person. You won't regret it.

West

6L6

Reaction score
Dykes is a fantastic guitarist for sure.

But as for who is the best acoustic guitar player on the planet, I'd have to go with Tommy Emanuel.

6L6

Reaction score
Dykes is a fantastic guitarist for sure.

But as for who is the best acoustic guitar player on the planet, I'd have to go with Tommy Emanuel.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
chicagowineguy said:
I meant to say flatpicking.

Whew, I was about to melt down trying to visualize Tony Rice as a finger picker. Like I told someone else here, when you get to the level of Doyle or Tony.........who gives a rats patootie who is best. They are both awe inspiring!! :wink:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
chicagowineguy said:
I meant to say flatpicking.

Whew, I was about to melt down trying to visualize Tony Rice as a finger picker. Like I told someone else here, when you get to the level of Doyle or Tony.........who gives a rats patootie who is best. They are both awe inspiring!! :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Don't believe I ever said Doyle was the best in the world, just the best I've ever seen.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Don't believe I ever said Doyle was the best in the world, just the best I've ever seen.

West

J45dale

Reaction score
I gotta say you guys need some late night TV. I saw some Zoro type guy the other night playing in some rock quarry , and playing like a old-world master :roll: ....just kidding. I have to say I like to see Earl Scruggs finger-pick a flatop guitar.
Dale.

J45dale

Reaction score
I gotta say you guys need some late night TV. I saw some Zoro type guy the other night playing in some rock quarry , and playing like a old-world master :roll: ....just kidding. I have to say I like to see Earl Scruggs finger-pick a flatop guitar.
Dale.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw some Zoro type guy the other night playing in some rock quarry , and playing like a old-world master

You sure that was Zorro & not Fabio. The bit I saw was a Fabio look alike playing in a stone courtyard.

Now I can't remember where I found it. Italy perhaps.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw some Zoro type guy the other night playing in some rock quarry , and playing like a old-world master

You sure that was Zorro & not Fabio. The bit I saw was a Fabio look alike playing in a stone courtyard.

Now I can't remember where I found it. Italy perhaps.

gilligan

Reaction score
doyle dykes

When I bought my new Taylor a few years ago, it came with a DVD with some basic info, tech tips, etc., as well as a section of performances by Taylor artists, one of whom was Doyle Dykes. Later that year he came to perform at a local Taylor distributor and I made sure I was on the list to see him. I begged my wife to release me for a few hours that Saturday afternoon as it happened to be our anniversary and she understandingly let me go. I arrived late and happened to grab a single seat on the end of the first row and witnessed an incredible display of virtuosity, as well as a wonderful performance by Doyle and daughter Haley. After hearing him play, and some of his stories, I came away with the impression that he is one of those guys that you have to respect just because of the kind of man that he is.

As for the best guitarist in the world, sometimes I feel the same way that I do about women--there are so many good ones, why do you have to pick just one?

gilligan

gilligan

Reaction score
doyle dykes

When I bought my new Taylor a few years ago, it came with a DVD with some basic info, tech tips, etc., as well as a section of performances by Taylor artists, one of whom was Doyle Dykes. Later that year he came to perform at a local Taylor distributor and I made sure I was on the list to see him. I begged my wife to release me for a few hours that Saturday afternoon as it happened to be our anniversary and she understandingly let me go. I arrived late and happened to grab a single seat on the end of the first row and witnessed an incredible display of virtuosity, as well as a wonderful performance by Doyle and daughter Haley. After hearing him play, and some of his stories, I came away with the impression that he is one of those guys that you have to respect just because of the kind of man that he is.

As for the best guitarist in the world, sometimes I feel the same way that I do about women--there are so many good ones, why do you have to pick just one?

gilligan