A black '63 Duane Eddy? What sayest thou Hans?!

xilef regnu

Reaction score
Sure is purty!

Photo1_8d8dd.jpg

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=858522

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A black '63 Duane Eddy?

Hello xilef regnu,

It's a very attractive guitar and I would love to get a closer look, but since I'm here and the instrument is there .......
Have been corresponding with the seller since I'm not convinced that it is an original black guitar. Of course I have my reasons for thinking that and I've explained them to the seller. The seller seems to believe it is original but there have been some people who informed about the guitar and the seller was very forthcoming and he even included my comments re. the authenticity of the finish. If you are seriously interested in the guitar, maybe you should get in touch with the seller. I'm only giving my opinion based on what I know about Guild. I don't claim to know everything and I'm definitely not out to ruin a sale.
All in all I think it is a very cool guitar and as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind owning it. However, the price they're asking is based on the rarity of the color, so I guess you gotta believe it's original or you have so much money that you don't care.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A black '63 Duane Eddy?

Hello xilef regnu,

It's a very attractive guitar and I would love to get a closer look, but since I'm here and the instrument is there .......
Have been corresponding with the seller since I'm not convinced that it is an original black guitar. Of course I have my reasons for thinking that and I've explained them to the seller. The seller seems to believe it is original but there have been some people who informed about the guitar and the seller was very forthcoming and he even included my comments re. the authenticity of the finish. If you are seriously interested in the guitar, maybe you should get in touch with the seller. I'm only giving my opinion based on what I know about Guild. I don't claim to know everything and I'm definitely not out to ruin a sale.
All in all I think it is a very cool guitar and as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind owning it. However, the price they're asking is based on the rarity of the color, so I guess you gotta believe it's original or you have so much money that you don't care.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Steve Hook

Reaction score
Speaking of black 'Duane Eddy'-models - here's Dave Davies with what seems to a black, humbucker-equipped DE-500-model :

k1965i.jpg

k1969e.jpg

30_1_b.JPG

Davies seems to have acquired this guitar (his first Guild) in late-1964 (there's a pic in Jon Savage's Kinks-biography dated Autumn 1964 showing Pete Quaife smoking a cigar in a hotel room, and the Guild is visible behind him), and interestingly enough Davies claims in his autobiography ("Kink") that the guitar was 'custom-made for George Harrison' (although there are no records/pics whatsoever which show that Harrison ever had this particular guitar in his possession to the best of my knowledge).

This is very likely the guitar that was lost by an airline company while The Kinks were on tour in the USA in 1965 (and never surfaced again), but it can be seen & heard in action here :

http://www.youtube.com/w/The-Kinks,-1965-NME-Pollwinners-Concert?v=tZjQGPFqrPk&search=kinks

Hans, would you happen to know if Davies' example might indeed have been a unique/one-off example, or why it doesn't seem to have Duane Eddy's signature on its pickguard?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Steve

Steve Hook

Reaction score
Speaking of black 'Duane Eddy'-models - here's Dave Davies with what seems to a black, humbucker-equipped DE-500-model :

k1965i.jpg

k1969e.jpg

30_1_b.JPG

Davies seems to have acquired this guitar (his first Guild) in late-1964 (there's a pic in Jon Savage's Kinks-biography dated Autumn 1964 showing Pete Quaife smoking a cigar in a hotel room, and the Guild is visible behind him), and interestingly enough Davies claims in his autobiography ("Kink") that the guitar was 'custom-made for George Harrison' (although there are no records/pics whatsoever which show that Harrison ever had this particular guitar in his possession to the best of my knowledge).

This is very likely the guitar that was lost by an airline company while The Kinks were on tour in the USA in 1965 (and never surfaced again), but it can be seen & heard in action here :

http://www.youtube.com/w/The-Kinks,-1965-NME-Pollwinners-Concert?v=tZjQGPFqrPk&search=kinks

Hans, would you happen to know if Davies' example might indeed have been a unique/one-off example, or why it doesn't seem to have Duane Eddy's signature on its pickguard?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Steve

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hook said:

Steve

Hello Steve,

Yes, I'm aware of that particular instrument. Actually, I was in a position to buy this guitar but I decided to pass because of it's 'once stolen' history. It was a 'Special' guitar, meaning the specs. were a little different than the standard specs. for a Duane Eddy 500. The guitar is written up in the original ledgers of 'final assembly on May 21, 1964.
There could be several reasons for the guitar not having Duane's signature on the pickguard and I'm not 100% sure why it would be in this case but it is not unusual and I have several in my database.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

P.S. Maybe I should add that at the time when the guitar was offered to me, the seller was not aware of it's past/history.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hook said:

Steve

Hello Steve,

Yes, I'm aware of that particular instrument. Actually, I was in a position to buy this guitar but I decided to pass because of it's 'once stolen' history. It was a 'Special' guitar, meaning the specs. were a little different than the standard specs. for a Duane Eddy 500. The guitar is written up in the original ledgers of 'final assembly on May 21, 1964.
There could be several reasons for the guitar not having Duane's signature on the pickguard and I'm not 100% sure why it would be in this case but it is not unusual and I have several in my database.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

P.S. Maybe I should add that at the time when the guitar was offered to me, the seller was not aware of it's past/history.

Steve Hook

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Hans - I didn't know that you once had the opportunity to buy this particular guitar, that's very interesting!
Do you also happen to know if there were any other black Duane Eddy-guitars made at the time, or was Davies' example truly a 'one-off' guitar?

I'm still a bit intrigued by Davies' comments (a.o. in his biography) that his black Guild was custom-made for George Harrison, although I think that the guitar might have been simply sold to him in 1964 with some 'sales-talk' in order to make the deal/guitar even more interesting...

Thanks again and kind regards,

Steve

Steve Hook

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Hans - I didn't know that you once had the opportunity to buy this particular guitar, that's very interesting!
Do you also happen to know if there were any other black Duane Eddy-guitars made at the time, or was Davies' example truly a 'one-off' guitar?

I'm still a bit intrigued by Davies' comments (a.o. in his biography) that his black Guild was custom-made for George Harrison, although I think that the guitar might have been simply sold to him in 1964 with some 'sales-talk' in order to make the deal/guitar even more interesting...

Thanks again and kind regards,

Steve

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hook said:

Steve,

The ledgers do not show another similar guitar being finished in 'final assembly' during that particular period. There's always that possibility that another one was assembled later, which happened a lot at Guild. The ledgers stop in 1965 with the introduction of the 'new' serial number system.

Sincerely,

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve Hook said:

Steve,

The ledgers do not show another similar guitar being finished in 'final assembly' during that particular period. There's always that possibility that another one was assembled later, which happened a lot at Guild. The ledgers stop in 1965 with the introduction of the 'new' serial number system.

Sincerely,

Hans