GAD JF48

William63

Reaction score
I recently discovered the GAD JF48 mahogany jumbo by Guild. I have found a few on Ebay but it is not listed on the Guild Website or any other on line store. Why would that be? I found a little info on Harmony Central but not too much. I wonder if it is in limited production.

Anyone play one yet?

Can anyone give me more information?

Many thanks.

William63

Reaction score
I recently discovered the GAD JF48 mahogany jumbo by Guild. I have found a few on Ebay but it is not listed on the Guild Website or any other on line store. Why would that be? I found a little info on Harmony Central but not too much. I wonder if it is in limited production.

Anyone play one yet?

Can anyone give me more information?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Chinese checkered

Hi -- The Guild GAD (Guild Acoustic Design) series are Chinese made. I was offered the chance by the local dealer to come and play several new models of "Guilds" - knowing I only play Guilds and have for 30+ years. On the tail of being completely disappointed with the 'Corona' Guilds, I hurried over hoping to have my faith renewed. It was not. These are not bad guitars - similar to other overseas production guitars aimed at the student or introductory market - well made and clean...but definitely NOT GUILDS and not up to Westerly standard. I also feel they are overpriced. I would be inclined to be more charitable if they were priced around $400-$500. But go for a real Westerly-made Guild and you'll feel your money well spent. Asd for the new 'Tacoma' Guilds - I haven't had the chance to see or judge them. I hear they are nice, well-made, but only time will tell for them. There is some discussion on the forum here you can read. However, when I'm looking at Ebay for Guilds - my mind automatically skips over anything with a GAD prefix. More corporate subterfige. Hope this helps and best to you.

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Reaction score
Chinese checkered

Hi -- The Guild GAD (Guild Acoustic Design) series are Chinese made. I was offered the chance by the local dealer to come and play several new models of "Guilds" - knowing I only play Guilds and have for 30+ years. On the tail of being completely disappointed with the 'Corona' Guilds, I hurried over hoping to have my faith renewed. It was not. These are not bad guitars - similar to other overseas production guitars aimed at the student or introductory market - well made and clean...but definitely NOT GUILDS and not up to Westerly standard. I also feel they are overpriced. I would be inclined to be more charitable if they were priced around $400-$500. But go for a real Westerly-made Guild and you'll feel your money well spent. Asd for the new 'Tacoma' Guilds - I haven't had the chance to see or judge them. I hear they are nice, well-made, but only time will tell for them. There is some discussion on the forum here you can read. However, when I'm looking at Ebay for Guilds - my mind automatically skips over anything with a GAD prefix. More corporate subterfige. Hope this helps and best to you.

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

William63

Reaction score
Re: Chinese checkered

SmithfieldFair said:

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it would be a good guitar. But thanks for the review. I was looking for a second jumbo 6 string to use tuned down a whole step. I was wishing Guild made a mahogany jumbo. I guess I'll need to look further.

I own a new Tacoma made Guild F512, and I have played the Corona built F512. I have to say that the Tacoma made models are great and are up to the standards I have come to love about Guilds.

William63

Reaction score

SmithfieldFair said:

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it would be a good guitar. But thanks for the review. I was looking for a second jumbo 6 string to use tuned down a whole step. I was wishing Guild made a mahogany jumbo. I guess I'll need to look further.

I own a new Tacoma made Guild F512, and I have played the Corona built F512. I have to say that the Tacoma made models are great and are up to the standards I have come to love about Guilds.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only own Westerly Guilds, but have had an opportunity to play many of the GAD's, Corona's, and Tacomas. The Tacomas are nicely made and the one's I've played have sounded nice too, only time will tell how they open up. Coronas were nice too - I imagine being built with the same wood and the same specs, they should be close to the originals. I will say that the rosewood being used these days is much more "gray" than brown for whatever reason.

Regarding the GADS - shame on Fender for marketing a Chinese guitar without even changing the "Guild" logo! (Yes, I know the "Chesterfield" symbol is a little different, but it's not really a noticeable change to the un-trained eye). Having said that, they are very nicely made, good workmanship, nice binding, etc., and sound pretty good for an Asian built guitar, and they're probably worth the $500.00 they're asking for them, but THEY ARE NOT GUILDS!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only own Westerly Guilds, but have had an opportunity to play many of the GAD's, Corona's, and Tacomas. The Tacomas are nicely made and the one's I've played have sounded nice too, only time will tell how they open up. Coronas were nice too - I imagine being built with the same wood and the same specs, they should be close to the originals. I will say that the rosewood being used these days is much more "gray" than brown for whatever reason.

Regarding the GADS - shame on Fender for marketing a Chinese guitar without even changing the "Guild" logo! (Yes, I know the "Chesterfield" symbol is a little different, but it's not really a noticeable change to the un-trained eye). Having said that, they are very nicely made, good workmanship, nice binding, etc., and sound pretty good for an Asian built guitar, and they're probably worth the $500.00 they're asking for them, but THEY ARE NOT GUILDS!

Reaction score
Corona sins

Dred -- When Westerly was closing down, they made a lot of "kits" to help in the transition to Corona - and to use as teaching for the Fender staff. I've always wondered - and no one has ever said/verified whether any of the these became Corona Guilds. The problem I understand from several luthiers and dealers is that because of the finishing process and the lacquers used, the bridges has a tendency to "pop off". I am to understand further that the bridges were put on after the lacquer was applied and they just couldn't hold. That may or may not be. But, I neverl felt any of the Corona Guilds were "right". I have hope for the Tacoma, but as you say - only time will tell. For me, there are still plenty of Westerlys that have stood the test of time and so, I remain in the cradle of that care. As for the Chinese "Guilds" - I agree - SHAME on Fender. The Donnie Wades and other corporate entities representing Guild should be listening to long-time Guild supporters, but that is sadly not the case. I seems more a concentration on how many new instruments - regardless of quality - they can shovel out the door at a time - and no thought for the longhaul. Sadily, I'm certain Al Dronge is rolling over in his grave.

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Reaction score
Corona sins

Dred -- When Westerly was closing down, they made a lot of "kits" to help in the transition to Corona - and to use as teaching for the Fender staff. I've always wondered - and no one has ever said/verified whether any of the these became Corona Guilds. The problem I understand from several luthiers and dealers is that because of the finishing process and the lacquers used, the bridges has a tendency to "pop off". I am to understand further that the bridges were put on after the lacquer was applied and they just couldn't hold. That may or may not be. But, I neverl felt any of the Corona Guilds were "right". I have hope for the Tacoma, but as you say - only time will tell. For me, there are still plenty of Westerlys that have stood the test of time and so, I remain in the cradle of that care. As for the Chinese "Guilds" - I agree - SHAME on Fender. The Donnie Wades and other corporate entities representing Guild should be listening to long-time Guild supporters, but that is sadly not the case. I seems more a concentration on how many new instruments - regardless of quality - they can shovel out the door at a time - and no thought for the longhaul. Sadily, I'm certain Al Dronge is rolling over in his grave.

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

steverok

Reaction score
I don't understand why the China GAD's are "not Guilds", although the Tacoma and Corona's are. They are all made in locations, other than RI.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Steve,

I suppose you would have had to have played Guild acoustics for 30 or 40 years to understand fully what Smith is talking about.

He and I are not only accustomed to the craftsmanship that went into Westerly made Guilds, but the sound. To be the die-hard Guild acoustic fans that we are, and then have production moved to China by Fender was just unbelievable. The move was soley motivated by greed on the part of Fender management. I'm no economist, but I can tell you that Fender moved production to China because they could be built very, very cheaply there, thus increasing profit to Fender. Unfortunately, the finished product sort of looked like a Guild, but wasn't in the same ballpark in terms of acoustics and quality. Then, to only make a bad situation worse in my eyes, NEVER have I seen on any website, magazine or catalog, Fender state that GADs are built in China. A little misleading in my view.

I have known a few people who have attempted to have Fender do warrenty work on old Guilds, and from what I understand, it's like pulling teeth. I never had to send a guitar to Westerly, but something tells me they would have not only repaired my guitar, but paid shipping and probably followed up on the repair.

It's just a little disconcerting to us that a company would purchase an American icon like Guild and not only ruin it, but not seem to care. I for one can't understand why Fender bought Guild. Was it to finally carry an acoustic line that was reputable? If so, what happened? If not, was it to see to it that Guild would no longer be a competitor? Fender has never built an acoustic that could compete!

These are the reasons that I get emotional about the subject and I suspect Smith and many other Guild enthusiasts feel this way.

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
steverok said:
I don't understand why the China GAD's are "not Guilds", although the Tacoma and Corona's are. They are all made in locations, other than RI.

Adding to West's response. Before Fender, there were a couple "less expensive" lines of guitars that Guild farmed out to overseas manufacturers. They carried their own unique logos & were never meant to be marketed as "Guild" guitars. There were some pretty nice instruments but there was no mistake that Madeira "by Guild" wasn't intended to be real Guilds.

It's been said here already, but I'll say it again...this would probably be a non-issue if Fender had resurrected one of the old brand names instead of marketing the obviously less expensive & quite different guitars that are coming out of china with the Chesterfield Guild logo. Nice as they may be (& I've played a few & liked them) they just aren't the same.

Regarding Corona acoustics being "real Guilds" I'd say there's still much debate on that one. Tacoma Guilds are still in the honeymoon phase & I look forward to playing them, but I'd say the jury is still out. However...both Corona & Tacoma are USA made instruments & that does mean something to a lot of people.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Well I'm certainly no afficianado about any type of guitar but as I mentioned in another topic I tried in the upto 1000(cad) price range Taylors, Martins, Seaguls,Crafters, Epiphones and Alvarez acoustics and the Guild GAD 50 spoke to me more than the others. Yes the others were great sounding, well made etc., etc., but the Guild had a certain ring to it, a personality, which spoke to me.
So you old Guild heads can huff and puff all you want however in guitar circles the GAD models are considered pretty relevant.
Its like the arguments you hear about MIA Strats and Teles however depending on the model and the year a Made in or Crafted in Japan Fender hold their ground no sweat against MIA models. Its a known fact.
So don't be so quick to snub your nose or shake your tail feathers
And I'll be sure to let you know when my GAD 40 C arrives next week and if you want to take a look at the specs go here.[url]http://www.guildguitars.com/gear/g ... no=3810400[/url]

They're pretty damn impressive to say the least. And if you ask me what's next on my list of acoustic dreams its a D55. Course no doubt you guys gonna say they don't make em like they used to. Right? Right.
Benee Wafers

dklsplace

Reaction score
Benee, I don't believe anyone here is saying anything negative about the quality of the GAD Guilds. Like I said previously, I seriously doubt it would be an issue if they had used a different name or logo with a "By Guild" addition to the label. I'm still keeping an eye out for the right deal on one of the old Madeira acoustics & will likely display it proudly here when I finally get one.

Congrats on your new find & that's really what it's all about...finding the one that speaks to you!

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hey Dred re your post wherein you state.....Yes, I know the "Chesterfield" symbol is a little different, but it's not really a noticeable change to the un-trained eye

Could you post what the " real " Chesterfield logo looks like and the " fake" Chesterfield logo for an A/B of the two?

Thanks
Benee Wafers

dklsplace

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see that a difference between the GAD Chesterfield & a USA produced Chesterfield is more than it ever has been from one model or year to the next. Inlays have become more of an exact science over the years, but probably more like snowflakes.

First is a GAD D40C.
[img:480:640]http://www.elderly.com/images/fmic/20N/GAD40C_headstock-front.jpg[/img]
Second from a '95 DC-5E
[img:480:640]http://www.elderly.com/images/vintage/20U/20U-9833_headstock-front.jpg[/img]

Reaction score

William63 said:
SmithfieldFair said:
Hi -- The Guild GAD (Guild Acoustic Design) series are Chinese made. I was offered the chance by the local dealer to come and play several new models of "Guilds" - knowing I only play Guilds and have for 30+ years. On the tail of being completely disappointed with the 'Corona' Guilds, I hurried over hoping to have my faith renewed. It was not. These are not bad guitars - similar to other overseas production guitars aimed at the student or introductory market - well made and clean...but definitely NOT GUILDS and not up to Westerly standard. I also feel they are overpriced. I would be inclined to be more charitable if they were priced around $400-$500.
Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

wow...if a guitar with a list of almost $1000 is made for students or the intro market, who buys all the $200-$400 Washburns,Mitchells, and Yamahas?

Chimps?

Siwash

Reaction score
Just my personal story or anecdote. I was looking for an intermediate guitar and loved the sound of the GAD 50, much deeper. Better appointments than the Blueridge line I was looking at.

I'm not enough of a guitar player to spend more than $600 on my guitar. At this point. But if I become better, the Guild line is surely of interest to me and I'll check it out. But I first have to get playing better! e.g., better at doing bass runs and lead picking.