new kid on the block....

Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy, just moved in, seems like a nice place to hang out.

I've been a Guildaholic since I was in high school and listened to that Denver guy play. The fact that my guitar teacher played a Guild dreadnaught helped a bit too.

My current stable is 4 long time friends (children?)

In order of purchase:

1971 F-112 (bought in 1973)
1975 F-30 (bought in 1975)
1989 GF-55 (bought in 1991
1971 F-412 Blonde (bought in 1995)

The F-112 was my first good guitar. My teacher was pissed I went out and bought a 12 string. It unfortnately has succumbed to 12string-itis with a pulled top and needs a serious neck reset.

The F-30 has been my friend and companion through more ups and downs in my life than anyone or anything. She a great old guitar. Love her to death.

BTW both the F112 and F30 were paid for by mowing hundreds of lawns and doing who knows how many odd jobs.

The GF-55 was bought by my then wife-to-be as an engagement present (!). She saw me grooling over it whenever we visited the local music store, and decided I needed it. I it's a real beauty. Wonderful tone, wondrful "50-style" inlay and so forth.

The F-412 I found used in the same shop the GF-55 came from. I was actually looking at a Taylor 12 (horrors!!!!). When I saw this well used specimen. It had been played hard, the finish was worn, the neck had been reset and there was a crack in the bridge through the pin holes. But even with old silk and steel strings IT SANG! WOW!. It had more character and tone and anything else in the store. I asked what it's story was and was told some local player had traded it in on a new JF 30 12 string. "Well, I'm adopting it". It's a cannon and is plays great.

Good to be here.

here are two of my kids..
[img:108:162]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/earlknoob_/000_0225.jpg[/img]

Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy, just moved in, seems like a nice place to hang out.

I've been a Guildaholic since I was in high school and listened to that Denver guy play. The fact that my guitar teacher played a Guild dreadnaught helped a bit too.

My current stable is 4 long time friends (children?)

In order of purchase:

1971 F-112 (bought in 1973)
1975 F-30 (bought in 1975)
1989 GF-55 (bought in 1991
1971 F-412 Blonde (bought in 1995)

The F-112 was my first good guitar. My teacher was pissed I went out and bought a 12 string. It unfortnately has succumbed to 12string-itis with a pulled top and needs a serious neck reset.

The F-30 has been my friend and companion through more ups and downs in my life than anyone or anything. She a great old guitar. Love her to death.

BTW both the F112 and F30 were paid for by mowing hundreds of lawns and doing who knows how many odd jobs.

The GF-55 was bought by my then wife-to-be as an engagement present (!). She saw me grooling over it whenever we visited the local music store, and decided I needed it. I it's a real beauty. Wonderful tone, wondrful "50-style" inlay and so forth.

The F-412 I found used in the same shop the GF-55 came from. I was actually looking at a Taylor 12 (horrors!!!!). When I saw this well used specimen. It had been played hard, the finish was worn, the neck had been reset and there was a crack in the bridge through the pin holes. But even with old silk and steel strings IT SANG! WOW!. It had more character and tone and anything else in the store. I asked what it's story was and was told some local player had traded it in on a new JF 30 12 string. "Well, I'm adopting it". It's a cannon and is plays great.

Good to be here.

[img:108:162]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/earlknoob_/000_0225.jpg[/img]

Fandodge

Reaction score
Hi lonesomepicker, love the pics, I will have a guild 12 string one of these days. :D Jamie

Fandodge

Reaction score
Hi lonesomepicker, love the pics, I will have a guild 12 string one of these days. :D Jamie

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Picker,

Great collection! It gets in your blood at a young age and only gets stronger with time, doesn't it?

Good to have you here.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Picker,

Great collection! It gets in your blood at a young age and only gets stronger with time, doesn't it?

Good to have you here.

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
lonesome picker said:
000_0225.jpg
....and a couple of fine looking lads I must say!! :wink:

Reaction score
Guild Total
....I often get the feeling that I'm talking to the wind and no one hears.."

you might say I'm confirmed "Stewartisa"

pic of John, yours truly and Nick Reynolds, 2002

[IMG:561:398]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/earlknoob_/scan0001.jpg[/img]

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"You have no idea" is sort of state side slang. it shows up in a kids' animated movie. i think "The Jungle Book."

I couldn't figure out the pickering thing. Is there a joKe I'm misssing?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
yes, and there was a ton on the guy, but I thought it must have had something to do with picking, or inventions like the crapper, etc. I'm a bit thick. (For 'dumb," USers usually say "dense," and Brits usually say "thick." I'm betting NZers say "thick." )

Is it just Australians who have barbies? I know that Barbie Benton is American. YOW! Right up there with Joey Heatherton. And Barbie (the Benton kind) is from my hometown, Sacramento, California. Hugh Hefner married her, I think.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, New Zealanders have barbies, but it hasn't been the best of summers here on the coast for lighting up the barbie. There's some Oz-tralian saying about "throwing another prawn on the barbie".

Reaction score
Guild Total
...I think my thread got hi-jacked to a discussion of folks down under........

Yes, the pic was taken at John and Nick's annual "Trio Fantasy Camp" back in 2002.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
L.P. Your comment about being a Guildaholic since High School is interesting. I was in High School when I first saw a Guild - on the cover of the Kink Kontroversy (SF3 ?). Around the same time I spotted Steve Boone's Starfire bass. I never saw a real, live Guild until I bought my F47RCE last year but, when I was convinced by my nephew that I should learn guitar, I knew I had to have a Guild, no rational reason. Mind you, I've also bought a Maton acoustic, a Danelectro '56 U2, an old Supro Ozark and a Fender FR48 resonator. But, for some inexplicable reason, I have a "thing" about Guilds. And I figure that if it was good enough for Mississippi John Hurt, Buddy Guy and yes, Ray Davies, it's good enough for me !