PU change X-170?

strings

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I’ve got the opportunity to buy a set of Dearmond Goldtones and I’m thinking about a change for my X-170. Would this be a good idea? What kind of different sound will the change bring up? Thank you in advance
ralf/strings

strings

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I’ve got the opportunity to buy a set of Dearmond Goldtones and I’m thinking about a change for my X-170. Would this be a good idea? What kind of different sound will the change bring up? Thank you in advance
ralf/strings

samdjr74

Reaction score
I can't comment on the dearmonds but I just dropped a pair of TV jones in my 170 and the guitar is simply amazing now.

samdjr74

Reaction score
I can't comment on the dearmonds but I just dropped a pair of TV jones in my 170 and the guitar is simply amazing now.

strings

Reaction score
In fact the PUs are looking very cool! Got them today. (This is not P-90 though.) For this special guitar (x-170!), I love the jazz-tone. I’m going to report the results. R.

strings

Reaction score
In fact the PUs are looking very cool! Got them today. (This is not P-90 though.) For this special guitar (x-170!), I love the jazz-tone. I’m going to report the results. R.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I had a set of Goldtones a number of years ago that I put in a Epi Joe Pass. Didn't get a lot of time with them before selling the guitar to help pay for my X-150D. As I recall, they were significantly hotter than the stock pickups (no surprise), had more bite & responded better to my attack. I want to say they had a decent chimey quality...but it's been a long time.

Good luck with your project! Let us know what you think.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I had a set of Goldtones a number of years ago that I put in a Epi Joe Pass. Didn't get a lot of time with them before selling the guitar to help pay for my X-150D. As I recall, they were significantly hotter than the stock pickups (no surprise), had more bite & responded better to my attack. I want to say they had a decent chimey quality...but it's been a long time.

Good luck with your project! Let us know what you think.

strings

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Did you put in the gold tones?

Hello, yes, I did. But I still have some problems and must decide what to do. First of all: I think that the goldtones sound great, espacially the higher strings get more colour and brightness, the PUs produce rich overtones and in the bridge position a lot of „twang“. I like the looks too, although it might not be original in any ways.
A local luthier, who also sells Guild guitars, did the job. Back at home I realized, that the pickguard didn’t really fit to the top anymore. The PU-frames are higher than those of the Guild-PUs so that the pickguard almost touched the e-string.
I’m not sure by now, what to do. Maybe I keep the neck (Goldtone-)PU and build the other one back.
All in all I am a little unhappy for the moment, because the change didn’t work perfectly, and I must say: my guitar sounded great and I was very satisfied before. Sometimes we want more and get less ... But I’m still optimistic that the solution I’m thinking about will bring out the best!

santfe

Reaction score
Screw the goddamned pickguard. I took the one off of my Rockabilly.

I like the GoldTones on my DeArmond Jetstar very much (I'm still trying to sell that guitar, if anyone's interested, not because of the pickups, of course. $300 with a tweed Fender case). The pickups sound both nice and bright enough for a clean sound, and fat enough to overdrive an amp easily. I suspect that if I swapped pickups between the Jetstar and my X-500, the guitars wouldn't sound much different than they do now.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
are the Goldtones the same size as the pickups in older models? The ones in my '66 SF III seem slightly smaller than modern humbuckers.

strings

Reaction score
parker_knoll said:
are the Goldtones the same size as the pickups in older models? The ones in my '66 SF III seem slightly smaller than modern humbuckers.

Hello, the Goldtones really are a little bit smaller: 3.6 cm (1.41 inch) instead of 3.7 (1.47) of my Guild Humbuckers.