X500 Switch

northbayj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up a 2000 X500 off of eBay - one of the early Corona models. It's in great shape, but the pickup selector switch got busted in transit. The switch itself is still functional, but the screw rod sheared off - most of it is still in the tip.

Any opinions on how to proceed? It looks like replacing the switch would probably make the most sense. Any idea if this is a repair that can be handled at home? I'm relatively handy, but soldering is not my bag.

Thanks
John

northbayj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up a 2000 X500 off of eBay - one of the early Corona models. It's in great shape, but the pickup selector switch got busted in transit. The switch itself is still functional, but the screw rod sheared off - most of it is still in the tip.

Any opinions on how to proceed? It looks like replacing the switch would probably make the most sense. Any idea if this is a repair that can be handled at home? I'm relatively handy, but soldering is not my bag.

Thanks
John

bobgoblin

Reaction score
sure, it do-able, i've done several myself, find the part # is a different story, fender/guild is not in the best of shape, although our resident guild-expert, hans, might be able to get the # to ya, hell, if yer lucky, he may even have something layin' around. if he doesn't, site admin, dklsplace is an allparts dealer, he may be able to help you out. good luck!

bobgoblin

Reaction score
sure, it do-able, i've done several myself, find the part # is a different story, fender/guild is not in the best of shape, although our resident guild-expert, hans, might be able to get the # to ya, hell, if yer lucky, he may even have something layin' around. if he doesn't, site admin, dklsplace is an allparts dealer, he may be able to help you out. good luck!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard John! I'd say replacement is probably your only option. Soldering these isn't a huge thing, but if you're not comfortable with it, I'm sure you can find someone locally. I have a couple different Switchcraft switches in stock & I'm sure one of them is just the ticket.

Don

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard John! I'd say replacement is probably your only option. Soldering these isn't a huge thing, but if you're not comfortable with it, I'm sure you can find someone locally. I have a couple different Switchcraft switches in stock & I'm sure one of them is just the ticket.

Don

northbayj

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Don - thanks for the switch offer. I'm probably going to just order one through allparts or StewMac since I'm planning on ordering a Bigsby also. My father in law is an experienced soldering iron guy, so I'm going to enlist his help.

Do you guys have any opinions on setting pickup height? Right now my neck pickup is about 3/8s inch under the strings, and the bridge pu is at a quarter inch. That's a lot more space than on my strat, but I have no idea if it makes a difference. I'm all ears if anyone wants to chime in.

northbayj

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Don - thanks for the switch offer. I'm probably going to just order one through allparts or StewMac since I'm planning on ordering a Bigsby also. My father in law is an experienced soldering iron guy, so I'm going to enlist his help.

Do you guys have any opinions on setting pickup height? Right now my neck pickup is about 3/8s inch under the strings, and the bridge pu is at a quarter inch. That's a lot more space than on my strat, but I have no idea if it makes a difference. I'm all ears if anyone wants to chime in.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i personally prefer the pickups set low & the pole pieces raised up. i find the clarity is improved like this & the string pull is kept to a minimum. ymmv, of course, but one of the fun things (to me) about guitar is experimenting w/all the possibilities of set ups. good luck!

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i personally prefer the pickups set low & the pole pieces raised up. i find the clarity is improved like this & the string pull is kept to a minimum. ymmv, of course, but one of the fun things (to me) about guitar is experimenting w/all the possibilities of set ups. good luck!

dklsplace

Reaction score
northbayj said:
Thanks guys. Don - thanks for the switch offer. I'm probably going to just order one through allparts or StewMac since I'm planning on ordering a Bigsby also.

Hold the phone John! I'm an Allparts dealer...please don't order directly from their site & pay full retail!

dklsplace

Reaction score
northbayj said:
Thanks guys. Don - thanks for the switch offer. I'm probably going to just order one through allparts or StewMac since I'm planning on ordering a Bigsby also.

Hold the phone John! I'm an Allparts dealer...please don't order directly from their site & pay full retail!