Another new guy

TBman

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've just found this forum. I have a 1978 Guild D-55 natural and I'm the original owner. I've been playing guitar steady now since September of 2004, after about a 11 year layoff from playing. When I resumed playing I decided to learn fingerstyle. I'm a former flatpicker.

I started playing when I was 10 years old, but over the last 40 years maybe I've played 7 years in the aggregate. Life has a way of getting in the way of my playing sometimes. On my music page are mostly my own compositions, the top few are in DADGBD tuning. I'm working on extending my topmost song "Almost 28" and should have it up in another week or so. My other guitars are: Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500R, Ibanez AEG20E acoustic electric (XLR and 1/4 out) and an Epiphone AJ200SCE and my official "beater" and practice guitar, a Washburn D-10S, which sounds better than alot of guitars twice the money.

TBman

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've just found this forum. I have a 1978 Guild D-55 natural and I'm the original owner. I've been playing guitar steady now since September of 2004, after about a 11 year layoff from playing. When I resumed playing I decided to learn fingerstyle. I'm a former flatpicker.

I started playing when I was 10 years old, but over the last 40 years maybe I've played 7 years in the aggregate. Life has a way of getting in the way of my playing sometimes. On my music page are mostly my own compositions, the top few are in DADGBD tuning. I'm working on extending my topmost song "Almost 28" and should have it up in another week or so. My other guitars are: Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500R, Ibanez AEG20E acoustic electric (XLR and 1/4 out) and an Epiphone AJ200SCE and my official "beater" and practice guitar, a Washburn D-10S, which sounds better than alot of guitars twice the money.

J45dale

Reaction score
Hello TBman,
I understand how work and life in genral can get in the way of music.
I started to play the guitar at 9 years old but drifted in and out with it untill I was over 50 . I purchased a 1972 Gibson J45,(firewood,Norlin era model), in 1975, and it finaly opened up after about 30 years ! Last year I purchased a Martin D18AG, which is another great Mohogany guitar. This year I got a used Guild California built D55 (2002). This is my first Guild experience and I cannot tell you, as a Gibson, Martin fan , how impressed I am with this top grade guitar. I can only imagine how great a 78 model must be after all those years of opening up !!!
The neck on my D55 is the best I have ever played , I wonder if I could custom order a Martin like it? It has way more balance than any Martin rosewood I have played,and has as much volume. Its overall range of sound makes it a more of a versatal choice for more kinds of music, than my, or any Gibson I have played.
Dont get me wrong, I stll love my Martin and Gibson guitars, they each fill a nitch, I play one of them every third day, and will buy more. But the Guild is the one guitar I own that can do everything !
By the posts on this and other forums, I read that many do not feel that the quality of the Fender owned U.S.A. built, Guilds is up to par with the old east coast models , and I cannot speak on that issue, But (IMHO), I do think that Guild is offering as good of a value in the $2000 and up range as any other high production guitar company, and at least deserve a try before you buy policy,for like myself ... many may be surprised!!!
happy playing,
Dale.

J45dale

Reaction score
Hello TBman,
I understand how work and life in genral can get in the way of music.
I started to play the guitar at 9 years old but drifted in and out with it untill I was over 50 . I purchased a 1972 Gibson J45,(firewood,Norlin era model), in 1975, and it finaly opened up after about 30 years ! Last year I purchased a Martin D18AG, which is another great Mohogany guitar. This year I got a used Guild California built D55 (2002). This is my first Guild experience and I cannot tell you, as a Gibson, Martin fan , how impressed I am with this top grade guitar. I can only imagine how great a 78 model must be after all those years of opening up !!!
The neck on my D55 is the best I have ever played , I wonder if I could custom order a Martin like it? It has way more balance than any Martin rosewood I have played,and has as much volume. Its overall range of sound makes it a more of a versatal choice for more kinds of music, than my, or any Gibson I have played.
Dont get me wrong, I stll love my Martin and Gibson guitars, they each fill a nitch, I play one of them every third day, and will buy more. But the Guild is the one guitar I own that can do everything !
By the posts on this and other forums, I read that many do not feel that the quality of the Fender owned U.S.A. built, Guilds is up to par with the old east coast models , and I cannot speak on that issue, But (IMHO), I do think that Guild is offering as good of a value in the $2000 and up range as any other high production guitar company, and at least deserve a try before you buy policy,for like myself ... many may be surprised!!!
happy playing,
Dale.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard to you both! We're glad you were able to find us!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard to you both! We're glad you were able to find us!

J45dale

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome dklsplace.
this is a great forum,and I am real glad to find you! I really like my D55, and as I am very new to the World of Guild, I have a lot to learn and I feel this is the right place!
Thanks again,
Dale.

J45dale

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome dklsplace.
this is a great forum,and I am real glad to find you! I really like my D55, and as I am very new to the World of Guild, I have a lot to learn and I feel this is the right place!
Thanks again,
Dale.