White lines on high-end fretboards.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is bothered by the white lines under the e strings on high-end Guild fondleboards? When i look down at the fretboard, for a split second I have trouble distinguishing the lines from the strings, especially with a 12 string. My vision is bad, so maybe those lines don't bug other people.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is bothered by the white lines under the e strings on high-end Guild fondleboards? When i look down at the fretboard, for a split second I have trouble distinguishing the lines from the strings, especially with a 12 string. My vision is bad, so maybe those lines don't bug other people.

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:

My Corona D50 has a little of that, but not to the point of what you're experiencing. A dealer once sent me a free bottle of Gerlitz Guitar Honey fingerboard treatment - something I normally wouldn't think of buying - but I must admit this stuff helps.

And for the past year or two, I need to wear my reading glasses when playing as the strings blur and distract me :shock:

Getting old sucks! :(

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:

My Corona D50 has a little of that, but not to the point of what you're experiencing. A dealer once sent me a free bottle of Gerlitz Guitar Honey fingerboard treatment - something I normally wouldn't think of buying - but I must admit this stuff helps.

And for the past year or two, I need to wear my reading glasses when playing as the strings blur and distract me :shock:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Squawk said:

I have to agree with that.

I don't know what you guys are refering to? Is it part of the fingerboard binding that is the problem?

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Squawk said:

I have to agree with that.

I don't know what you guys are refering to? Is it part of the fingerboard binding that is the problem?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
On the fretboards of the expensive Guilds, there are two narrow white lines under each E string running the length of the fretboard. Look at close up pics of D55, F50, F512, etc.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
On the fretboards of the expensive Guilds, there are two narrow white lines under each E string running the length of the fretboard. Look at close up pics of D55, F50, F512, etc.

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:

I'm not 100% sure Darryl and I are talking about the same thing, but on my D-50's ebony fingerboard, you can see some faint intermittent broken lines. As the D-50 has no binding, that is not part of the issue.

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:

I'm not 100% sure Darryl and I are talking about the same thing, but on my D-50's ebony fingerboard, you can see some faint intermittent broken lines. As the D-50 has no binding, that is not part of the issue.

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://www.elderly.com/images/vintage/40U/40U-3615_inlays.jpg

Above is a pic of starfire 6 fretboard at Elderly. The lines under the E strings aren't always visible because sometimes the strings obscure them. For me, looking down at this while playing is like looking at 3 high E strings and 3 low E strings. It takes a split second for me to see what's what.

Oh, now I know what you mean - only one of my Guilds has this design (Crossroads single-neck model) - it doesn't seem to bother me. But I can see where it might on a twelve string :roll:

Squawk

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://www.elderly.com/images/vintage/40U/40U-3615_inlays.jpg

Above is a pic of starfire 6 fretboard at Elderly. The lines under the E strings aren't always visible because sometimes the strings obscure them. For me, looking down at this while playing is like looking at 3 high E strings and 3 low E strings. It takes a split second for me to see what's what.

Oh, now I know what you mean - only one of my Guilds has this design (Crossroads single-neck model) - it doesn't seem to bother me. But I can see where it might on a twelve string :roll:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I can see what you mean now. That could be a problem for some of us old guys with vision problems. :roll:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I can see what you mean now. That could be a problem for some of us old guys with vision problems. :roll:

J45dale

Reaction score
Wait a min...Im a old guy and I think they are cool, My daughter saw them and described them to me in detail!!!
Besides they would be a $500 up charge from the Martin custom shop!
Dale
D55 owner. :shock:

J45dale

Reaction score
Wait a min...Im a old guy and I think they are cool, My daughter saw them and described them to me in detail!!!
Besides they would be a $500 up charge from the Martin custom shop!
Dale
D55 owner. :shock: