PDA

View Full Version : Dating Guild Cases

Music Gear Power Search

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Does anybody have any info on dating Guild cases? Are there any sites that give pics of Guild cases, showing how to date them?

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Does anybody have any info on dating Guild cases? Are there any sites that give pics of Guild cases, showing how to date them?

hansmoust
02-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Hello Darryl,

There were way too many different choices and suppliers of Guild cases over the years. However, you can date them roughly by the Guild nameplate or logo used on the outside of the case. I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum. Does anyone feel like going through all the old material to find that thread?

Hans Moust

hansmoust
02-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Hello Darryl,

There were way too many different choices and suppliers of Guild cases over the years. However, you can date them roughly by the Guild nameplate or logo used on the outside of the case. I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum. Does anyone feel like going through all the old material to find that thread?

Hans Moust

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Hans,

All I need to know about is what a 70s case looks like. I know the 60s cases had "Guild Guitars, Inc" on a metallic plate attached by screws or nails, and the 70s had the sticker with just "Guild" on it. But when did they make that change? And when did they quit using the sticker?

Dank U vel

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Hans,

All I need to know about is what a 70s case looks like. I know the 60s cases had "Guild Guitars, Inc" on a metallic plate attached by screws or nails, and the 70s had the sticker with just "Guild" on it. But when did they make that change? And when did they quit using the sticker?

Dank U vel

dklsplace
02-12-2006, 03:17 AM
I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum.

I have a vague recollection of that, but I can't find anything relating to Guild cases in the stuff I archived from the old forum. Might it have been very early into the previous forum, or come up in a different thread?

dklsplace
02-12-2006, 03:17 AM
I did a photo overview quite a while ago. Might have been on the old forum.

I have a vague recollection of that, but I can't find anything relating to Guild cases in the stuff I archived from the old forum. Might it have been very early into the previous forum, or come up in a different thread?

Mr. P ~
02-12-2006, 04:30 AM
My D-25M case has the word "Guild" in gold colored Plastic glued to it.

Mr. P ~
02-12-2006, 04:30 AM
My D-25M case has the word "Guild" in gold colored Plastic glued to it.

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 04:37 AM
what year is it?

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 04:37 AM
what year is it?

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 03:55 PM
My D-25M is a '79 and it just has a plastic guild sticker on the side of the case that holds the neck. The rest of my cases have Guild painted or printed permentantly on the front (top of guitar) exterior of the case. I don't know if that helps. :?

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 03:55 PM
My D-25M is a '79 and it just has a plastic guild sticker on the side of the case that holds the neck. The rest of my cases have Guild painted or printed permentantly on the front (top of guitar) exterior of the case. I don't know if that helps. :?

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 04:06 PM
It does help, becasue it probably means that the silver silver sticker was not used after 1978 at the latest.

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 04:06 PM
It does help, becasue it probably means that the silver silver sticker was not used after 1978 at the latest.

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Darryl,

I suppose that I should have added that my D-25M case is not the true hardshell case. It is the thin, less expensive case. I don't remember if I could have opted for the hardshell and chose this one, or if since the D-25 was considered a lower end Guild acoustic, the cheaper case was standard equipment.

I'm sure, as Hans said, that several manufacturers have supplied cases to Guild through the years and it would be difficult to nail down exactly when a particular case was made. If anyone knows, Hans will.

West

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Darryl,

I suppose that I should have added that my D-25M case is not the true hardshell case. It is the thin, less expensive case. I don't remember if I could have opted for the hardshell and chose this one, or if since the D-25 was considered a lower end Guild acoustic, the cheaper case was standard equipment.

I'm sure, as Hans said, that several manufacturers have supplied cases to Guild through the years and it would be difficult to nail down exactly when a particular case was made. If anyone knows, Hans will.

West

hansmoust
02-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello Darryll,

Here are some photos that might give you a rough idea from what period a case could be. Keep in mind that sometimes cases were labeled and stocked and it could take quite a long time before they got used.

This is the label that was used during the '50s and into the '60s:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_50.jpg

This one was used through the '60s:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_60.jpg

This one from appr. 1970 up till 1975:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_70.jpg

From 1975 to about 1980:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_75.jpg

and after 1980:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_80.jpg

By the mid-'80s the Guild name was silkscreened on the lid of the case.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Hans

hansmoust
02-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello Darryll,

Here are some photos that might give you a rough idea from what period a case could be. Keep in mind that sometimes cases were labeled and stocked and it could take quite a long time before they got used.

This is the label that was used during the '50s and into the '60s:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_50.jpg

This one was used through the '60s:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_60.jpg

This one from appr. 1970 up till 1975:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_70.jpg

From 1975 to about 1980:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_75.jpg

and after 1980:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/CaseLabel_80.jpg

By the mid-'80s the Guild name was silkscreened on the lid of the case.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Hans

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Great information Hans. Thanks!

West

West R Lee
02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Great information Hans. Thanks!

West

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
It helps a lot. I saved this page immediately.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't notice the change in the early 60s, or the change in the mid 70s. I'd make a poor detective. I suppose the best way to judge dates of cases without labels is to put them beside cases with lables and compare covering, stitching, locks, handles, rivets, etc.

You have a real job ahead of you organizing all of your cases. But when you're done, you also have a lot of customers. How much does it cost to send a case to Americaca?

Are you still collecting photos and serial numbers of older Guilds?
If so, would you want jpgs of
1961 X175 typical sunburst
1967 DE 400 typical sunburst
1967 startfire 12 blond
1972 F512 with 612 inlay

The only 512 I've seen with 612 inlay was one Pete Townsend was playing on tv. I went around telling everybody, until it turned out that he's a pervert.

Dank u "very" vel

Darryl Hattenhauer
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
It helps a lot. I saved this page immediately.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't notice the change in the early 60s, or the change in the mid 70s. I'd make a poor detective. I suppose the best way to judge dates of cases without labels is to put them beside cases with lables and compare covering, stitching, locks, handles, rivets, etc.

You have a real job ahead of you organizing all of your cases. But when you're done, you also have a lot of customers. How much does it cost to send a case to Americaca?

Are you still collecting photos and serial numbers of older Guilds?
If so, would you want jpgs of
1961 X175 typical sunburst
1967 DE 400 typical sunburst
1967 startfire 12 blond
1972 F512 with 612 inlay

The only 512 I've seen with 612 inlay was one Pete Townsend was playing on tv. I went around telling everybody, until it turned out that he's a pervert.

Dank u "very" vel

jciampa
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I brought this topic up over on the old forum and it's good to see that Hans was able to re-post the photos.

Hans, I've noticed a few cases on ebay over the last few months that have caught my attention. There's one on there now from a 1983 D-15 that has the screened headstock logo emblazoned across the top of the case in extra large fashion that was typical of the era (think those big print shirts).

Very 80's and very cool.

I also saw a case for a 1981 D-25 several months back with the scripted logo (in the style of what you would see on the inside paper label) on the top of the case and again, in very large print.

Hans, do you know if these were rare, and, if so, how long were they manufactured?

Here's the photo from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-D15-ACOUSTIC- ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-D15-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-NICE-ONE-D-15-D-15-1983_W0QQitemZ7395428781QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

Regards,
John

jciampa
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I brought this topic up over on the old forum and it's good to see that Hans was able to re-post the photos.

Hans, I've noticed a few cases on ebay over the last few months that have caught my attention. There's one on there now from a 1983 D-15 that has the screened headstock logo emblazoned across the top of the case in extra large fashion that was typical of the era (think those big print shirts).

Very 80's and very cool.

I also saw a case for a 1981 D-25 several months back with the scripted logo (in the style of what you would see on the inside paper label) on the top of the case and again, in very large print.

Hans, do you know if these were rare, and, if so, how long were they manufactured?

Here's the photo from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-D15-ACOUSTIC- ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-D15-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-NICE-ONE-D-15-D-15-1983_W0QQitemZ7395428781QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

Regards,
John

coastie99
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't recall any further legal action being taken over Pete Townshend's internet activities - perhaps the explanation he furnished was totally in order. Summary judgments are NOT a great idea, Mr. Hattenbauer !

coastie99
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't recall any further legal action being taken over Pete Townshend's internet activities - perhaps the explanation he furnished was totally in order. Summary judgments are NOT a great idea, Mr. Hattenbauer !

Mr. P ~
03-04-2006, 09:35 PM
what year is it?

Sorry I did not reply to you. My Guitar is a '74 D-25, and it came "to me" with a hardshell case with the plastic emblem like the last on that Hans showed. Just the word Guild in script.

That does not corespond with what Hans said. Of course the original owner could have bought a new case in the '80's. Perhaps the guitar came in what I call a "Cardboard Case", and the owner decided later to replace it with a real case. :wink:

Mr. P ~
03-04-2006, 09:35 PM
what year is it?

Sorry I did not reply to you. My Guitar is a '74 D-25, and it came "to me" with a hardshell case with the plastic emblem like the last on that Hans showed. Just the word Guild in script.

That does not corespond with what Hans said. Of course the original owner could have bought a new case in the '80's. Perhaps the guitar came in what I call a "Cardboard Case", and the owner decided later to replace it with a real case. :wink:

Darryl Hattenhauer
03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Coastie,

Who is making summary judgements? You are. Your summary judgement is based on your obtuse assumption that I was speaking literally. Being pious and literal-minded while lacking a sense of humor and irony isn't a great idea either.

Darryl Hattenhauer
03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Coastie,

Who is making summary judgements? You are. Your summary judgement is based on your obtuse assumption that I was speaking literally. Being pious and literal-minded while lacking a sense of humor and irony isn't a great idea either.

Darryl Hattenhauer
04-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Were Duane Eddy cases full-depth, or thinline, or both?

When I bought my 60's DE 400 (the plainer Duaner) about 10 years ago, it came in a hard case the same dimensions as my 60's F50. But my 60s startfire 12 came in a shallow hard case (and almost an inch narrower because startfires are almost an inch narrower). Also, the Duane case has no label on it that would indicate when it was made, but my startfire case has the 60s label.

So my question is this: Did 60s Duanes (and other thinlines) come in cases that F50s (and maybe X 175 and X 500) came in? How many 60s jumbo size cases came without a label?

JerryR
05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Don't know if this is of any use :?: My D35 bought second hand serial number 196992 would have been made around my 30th birthday (Jan 27, 1979) in Westerly RI. The case came with it - but could have been a later purchase. It closely fits the guitar, with a thick red plush lining. It has Guild painted (screenprinted?) in gold on the bottom right front of the case. The lifting tag on the thingumy box inside says 'Made in Canada'.

Unlike most of you guys, I've only got the one Guild, recently bought, but I love it. Also have an Epiphone Texan of about the same vintage - no comparison at all. The Guild seems to play itself, and the sound with Martin Light strings has more tone and volume that the Epiphone with Martin Mediums. I haven't tried it with an amp yet - although fitted with a pick up through the bottom strap stud.