F30R Questions

chetmz

Reaction score
Was wondering who may have played an F30 in rosewood (F30R) versus the standard F30 in mahogany. I know the general differences between the 2 woods but curious about anyone's impressions and preferences.

Also;
What years was the rosewood produced?
Did it by chance come with gold tuners versus standard chrome?

My daughter is eyeing the F30HR I just picked up and I've been thinking of giving it to her (she has an old 'beater' that should be replaced). So I'm pondering starting to seach for another F30 and thought about what the differences might be in rosewood.

Thanks folks

chetmz

Reaction score
Was wondering who may have played an F30 in rosewood (F30R) versus the standard F30 in mahogany. I know the general differences between the 2 woods but curious about anyone's impressions and preferences.

Also;

My daughter is eyeing the F30HR I just picked up and I've been thinking of giving it to her (she has an old 'beater' that should be replaced). So I'm pondering starting to seach for another F30 and thought about what the differences might be in rosewood.

Thanks folks

Metalman

Reaction score
F-30R Questions

Chetmz wrote:

Also;

Dear Chetmz:
I have both models - an F-30R from 1994, and an F-30 (mahogany) from 1981.
A world of difference exists between the two. You would almost think they were from different guitar companies. My F-30R has more high end, and more bottom end than any guitar I've ever played. That bottom "E" string just vibrates the whole guitar. It is not big-sounding, but very responsive. The scale is shorter, therefore a little easier to play. It makes the neck feel a little chunky, like an old Gibson.
The F-30 is slightly bigger all around believe it or not - it won't fit in the F-30R case - has much more midrange, less lows, less highs. It also projects more, is good for single note picking. It has an arched back, and is of course, all mahogony back and sides. (The F-30R is solid rosewood).

There is about 6-7 years difference between the two, and it seems Guild changed it's manufacturing process along the way.

Oh, and the top on the rosewood model has a much nicer, tighter grain, whereas the F-30 has a not-as-nice- top.

I am in love with my F-30R; not so sure about the F-30.

Now if you were to compare an early '90's F-30 to the same year F-30R, you might find them to be more comparable, with only the difference of the body woods separating them. Still, the rosewood model would most likely lead to more highs, more bottom end.

Oh, and my F-30R came stock with gold Grovers. The '81 F-30 came with standard-issue for the time chrome-plated Schallers, which I have had to replace, they would bind up.

I had never even heard of either model until I read about them in a '99 "Guild Gallery" magazine. They said Guild had just reintroduced them "after several year's absence". This would have been in 1999. Perhaps my '94 F-30R was one of the last in that previous run.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

I may make the F-30 available, if you are still interested.

Also, what is the F-30HR?