SF V and SF VI which one and which years should I stay away

samdjr74

Reaction score
I'm in need of a good semi hollow and I figured I have some much luck with my two Guilds I should keep the trend going. I want a semi hollow with a bigsyby so I guess that leaves me the SF V and VI. My two questions are, any major difference between the two and should I stay away from certain years of production? I also read on this forum that some of these guitars have the neck attached at different frets, I beielve either 16th or 18th fret, should I look one or the other?

Thanks,
Sam

samdjr74

Reaction score
I'm in need of a good semi hollow and I figured I have some much luck with my two Guilds I should keep the trend going. I want a semi hollow with a bigsyby so I guess that leaves me the SF V and VI. My two questions are, any major difference between the two and should I stay away from certain years of production? I also read on this forum that some of these guitars have the neck attached at different frets, I beielve either 16th or 18th fret, should I look one or the other?

Thanks,
Sam

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
An extended discussion of this would be interesting and helpful for a lot of us.

One thing I think everybody would agree on is that you need to get two Guild books, the one by Hans Moust and the one by Ted Beesley.

One point of disagreement has to do with pickups. Some like the 60s minis, some like the 70s standard buckers, some like the current Duncans. (I can't tell the difference in any of them) A few had DeArmonds, and a few had Dimarzios etc.

Some think a fixed bridge gives more sustain.

Some think a mahogany body gives better highs (I thinks so).

I don't know if a spruce top versus maple would make any difference.

For comparison shopping, I'd say start with gbase:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearLi ... d=starfire

In my opinion, Startfires are ridiculously cheap on ebay. Bluesbirds too.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
An extended discussion of this would be interesting and helpful for a lot of us.

One thing I think everybody would agree on is that you need to get two Guild books, the one by Hans Moust and the one by Ted Beesley.

One point of disagreement has to do with pickups. Some like the 60s minis, some like the 70s standard buckers, some like the current Duncans. (I can't tell the difference in any of them) A few had DeArmonds, and a few had Dimarzios etc.

Some think a fixed bridge gives more sustain.

Some think a mahogany body gives better highs (I thinks so).

I don't know if a spruce top versus maple would make any difference.

For comparison shopping, I'd say start with gbase:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearLi ... d=starfire

In my opinion, Startfires are ridiculously cheap on ebay. Bluesbirds too.

samdjr74

Reaction score
Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on the books. But to add to what you are saying I did start to make a list of the requirements:

1. Bigsby with tension bar, factory installed
2. Humbuckers, would prefer duncans but guilds are fine too
3. Fixed bridge over floating or pinned, personal choice on this.
4. Maple body would be my first choice but that's what I'm used to, mahogany might work fine too.

I've been looking at gbase and ebay and taking notes, but I'm in no rush. When the right one comes along I'll grab it.

Thanks,
Sam

samdjr74

Reaction score
Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on the books. But to add to what you are saying I did start to make a list of the requirements:

1. Bigsby with tension bar, factory installed
2. Humbuckers, would prefer duncans but guilds are fine too
3. Fixed bridge over floating or pinned, personal choice on this.
4. Maple body would be my first choice but that's what I'm used to, mahogany might work fine too.

I've been looking at gbase and ebay and taking notes, but I'm in no rush. When the right one comes along I'll grab it.

Thanks,
Sam

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Those 4 are what I have. Do you think a fixed bridge adds sustain?

It seems to me that it's a buyers market on startfires, so you can take your time and not have to jump on something fast.

A lot of people feel that a bluesbird is the most versatile, but i believe i can get quite a range of tones out of mine.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Those 4 are what I have. Do you think a fixed bridge adds sustain?

It seems to me that it's a buyers market on startfires, so you can take your time and not have to jump on something fast.

A lot of people feel that a bluesbird is the most versatile, but i believe i can get quite a range of tones out of mine.

dklsplace

Reaction score
In answer to one of your first questions, years of production to avoid.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Guild never really had a serious laps in production quality over the years like other manufacturers. What really seems to be the case is that the differences in the same model over the years amounts to personal preference. They're all quality, so the question is which features & appointments fit you best? Then those are the years to keep looking for.

dklsplace

Reaction score
In answer to one of your first questions, years of production to avoid.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Guild never really had a serious laps in production quality over the years like other manufacturers. What really seems to be the case is that the differences in the same model over the years amounts to personal preference. They're all quality, so the question is which features & appointments fit you best? Then those are the years to keep looking for.

samdjr74

Reaction score
I do feel that a fixed bridge adds to the sustain plus for me it's more stable. As far as my question on valid years I was once told that the guilds made right before fender bought them had some issues, I'm guessing this isn't true?

samdjr74

Reaction score
I do feel that a fixed bridge adds to the sustain plus for me it's more stable. As far as my question on valid years I was once told that the guilds made right before fender bought them had some issues, I'm guessing this isn't true?

dklsplace

Reaction score
samdjr74 said:
I was once told that the guilds made right before fender bought them had some issues, I'm guessing this isn't true?

I'm guessing you heard that from a Fender rep? :wink:

dklsplace

Reaction score
samdjr74 said:
I was once told that the guilds made right before fender bought them had some issues, I'm guessing this isn't true?

I'm guessing you heard that from a Fender rep? :wink: