Guild x 160

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi to all
i am new here, and also a fresh owner of a guild (s# AK150608). I just wanted to know, if there is a way to identify the year by the serial number, and also, i read, that there are different 160 of different time periods.
Thanks to all who could help!
Roland

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi to all
i am new here, and also a fresh owner of a guild (s# AK150608). I just wanted to know, if there is a way to identify the year by the serial number, and also, i read, that there are different 160 of different time periods.
Roland

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
roland_70 said:
Hi to all
Roland

Hello roland_70,

Welcome!

There's no hidden year or dating code in Guild serial numbers. Just a matter of looking up the number in the right column.
Your X-160 with serial number AK150608 is from the year 2000 .

There's indeed another X-160 but it's a different animal altogether. It is the
no-frills version of the X-170 and it was produced between 1988 and 1995.
It is exactly the same shape as the X-170 but with less expensive trimmings. The body is also somewhat smaller than the version that you have.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
roland_70 said:
Hi to all
Roland

Hello roland_70,

Welcome!

There's no hidden year or dating code in Guild serial numbers. Just a matter of looking up the number in the right column.
Your X-160 with serial number AK150608 is from the year 2000 .

There's indeed another X-160 but it's a different animal altogether. It is the
no-frills version of the X-170 and it was produced between 1988 and 1995.
It is exactly the same shape as the X-170 but with less expensive trimmings. The body is also somewhat smaller than the version that you have.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

roland_70

Reaction score
Thank you very much! They didn't use laquer finishes in 2000, FWIK, am i rght? I also have to straighten or change the Bigsby, since it tends to get more tension from the wound E string and so it slightly shifts. Maybe somebody els on the board has a similar issue with the bigsby unit?
All the Best
Roland

roland_70

Reaction score
Thank you very much! They didn't use laquer finishes in 2000, FWIK, am i rght? I also have to straighten or change the Bigsby, since it tends to get more tension from the wound E string and so it slightly shifts. Maybe somebody els on the board has a similar issue with the bigsby unit?
All the Best
Roland

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm

Roland,

Now that your local guitar pusher has you hooked on Guilds, you'll need the above site as your Guild addiction worsens. It's a rather awkward way of dating Guilds, but it works. For Guild to 1977, an easier, informative, and enjoyable way is to get The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust. For Guilds up to 1987 there's Guitar History Volume 5: Guild, by Ted Beesley, which isn't nearly as complete as the Guild Bible we all call "The Moust Book."

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm

Roland,

Now that your local guitar pusher has you hooked on Guilds, you'll need the above site as your Guild addiction worsens. It's a rather awkward way of dating Guilds, but it works. For Guild to 1977, an easier, informative, and enjoyable way is to get The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust. For Guilds up to 1987 there's Guitar History Volume 5: Guild, by Ted Beesley, which isn't nearly as complete as the Guild Bible we all call "The Moust Book."

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi Darryl
Thank you very much for the hint. Only, i can't find the production year 2000, as Hans quoted above my x 160 is from. Though i am happy to have found this board!
Maybe there is somebody out there, who tried to make some changes on the x 160, for ex. changing the Guild Bigsby by a Bigsby B6C or changing the DeArmonds 2000 to Dynasonics.
All the best, and today i ordered the "Moust Bible";)
Roland

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi Darryl
Thank you very much for the hint. Only, i can't find the production year 2000, as Hans quoted above my x 160 is from. Though i am happy to have found this board!
Maybe there is somebody out there, who tried to make some changes on the x 160, for ex. changing the Guild Bigsby by a Bigsby B6C or changing the DeArmonds 2000 to Dynasonics.
All the best, and today i ordered the "Moust Bible";)
Roland

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I usually just call it "The Book". Roland, what exactly is the problem with the Bigsby? From your explanation it seems like your Bigsby's out of alignment and it's pulling the bridge to one side - did I understand that correctly?
Is the bridge on your guitar still floating, or have you tacked it down in some way? (double stick tape,..)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I usually just call it "The Book". Roland, what exactly is the problem with the Bigsby? From your explanation it seems like your Bigsby's out of alignment and it's pulling the bridge to one side - did I understand that correctly?
Is the bridge on your guitar still floating, or have you tacked it down in some way? (double stick tape,..)

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i had a similar bigsby problem on my former gretsch, i used a glue stick (won't hurt the poly) & fixed some really fine sandpaper facing up where the bridge was best intonated.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i had a similar bigsby problem on my former gretsch, i used a glue stick (won't hurt the poly) & fixed some really fine sandpaper facing up where the bridge was best intonated.

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi walter, hi Bob
it's the problem you described. Right now i fixed it like you described, bob. But i have to bring the baby out on live gigs yet, so i am still not sure, if i will have to tune the guitar most of the time. Some live gigs will show me more. Thanks to all in the meantime!
All the best
Roland

roland_70

Reaction score
Hi walter, hi Bob
it's the problem you described. Right now i fixed it like you described, bob. But i have to bring the baby out on live gigs yet, so i am still not sure, if i will have to tune the guitar most of the time. Some live gigs will show me more. Thanks to all in the meantime!
All the best
Roland

bobgoblin

Reaction score
hey, roland, what gauge strings do you use? i used 10-52 for awhile after doing the sandpaper thing, then gradually moved up to 11-52, finally 12-56. i didn't have tuning problems w/the heavier strings, but if you don't want to do that, i think walter's method of double sided tape (very thin) is best. good luck!

bobgoblin

Reaction score
hey, roland, what gauge strings do you use? i used 10-52 for awhile after doing the sandpaper thing, then gradually moved up to 11-52, finally 12-56. i didn't have tuning problems w/the heavier strings, but if you don't want to do that, i think walter's method of double sided tape (very thin) is best. good luck!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've used double sided tape on some guitars, but actually have sandpaper on my N°1 guitar.
I glue a super-thin strip (most of the paper backing sanded off) of very fine grit sandpaper on the feet of the rosewood bridge base, facing the guitar body, and that's it - bridge locked in place.
I have 11-49 on my guitars, and a well-cut and lubed nut and no real tuning problems with the Bigsby.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've used double sided tape on some guitars, but actually have sandpaper on my N°1 guitar.
I glue a super-thin strip (most of the paper backing sanded off) of very fine grit sandpaper on the feet of the rosewood bridge base, facing the guitar body, and that's it - bridge locked in place.
I have 11-49 on my guitars, and a well-cut and lubed nut and no real tuning problems with the Bigsby.