Guild hollow body V Gibson ES 175?

Reaction score
I'm considering a hollowbody guitar having played flat-tops all my life.
I'd like one for playing fingerstyle jazz, blues etc. and I'd like a smooth, clean warm tone.
I have no experience of archtops and I'd appreciate a recommendation and maybe some comparisons between say, a Gibson ES 175 and the Guild X 500 OR X 700, or indeed any other Guild models?
Thanks,
John.

Reaction score
I'm considering a hollowbody guitar having played flat-tops all my life.
I'd like one for playing fingerstyle jazz, blues etc. and I'd like a smooth, clean warm tone.
I have no experience of archtops and I'd appreciate a recommendation and maybe some comparisons between say, a Gibson ES 175 and the Guild X 500 OR X 700, or indeed any other Guild models?
Thanks,
John.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i think that guild's idea of the equivalent of the es-175 was the x-150, 16" body, 3.5" (or so) depth, bound body & neck, no binding on f holes or headstock...i think everyone here will pretty much tell ya that their guilds are the bees' knees, (i know mine is!). the 500 is a great guitar (or the few i've played were), i've never played a 700, but i think bob benedetto revamped that model, so i'm sure its a helluva guitar as well. if you want something even more like a es-175, look at ce-100's (i think that's the model designation), but x-175's are real nice (ask walter or dklsplace or hans). honestly, for jazz/blues, i think just about any hollow (or semihollow) model will do ya just fine. good luck.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
i think that guild's idea of the equivalent of the es-175 was the x-150, 16" body, 3.5" (or so) depth, bound body & neck, no binding on f holes or headstock...i think everyone here will pretty much tell ya that their guilds are the bees' knees, (i know mine is!). the 500 is a great guitar (or the few i've played were), i've never played a 700, but i think bob benedetto revamped that model, so i'm sure its a helluva guitar as well. if you want something even more like a es-175, look at ce-100's (i think that's the model designation), but x-175's are real nice (ask walter or dklsplace or hans). honestly, for jazz/blues, i think just about any hollow (or semihollow) model will do ya just fine. good luck.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
John,

How is your search going?

In general, it seems to me that you get a lot more for your money with Guild, especially a used one. I believe that's particularly true regarding jazz boxes with P90s.

If you want to play really loud, I suppose you don't want an all solid wood model, but I may be out of date on that.

I don't have any solidbodies. For my ear, my X 175 with P90s and flatwounds is great for jazz, and my startfire 5 with Duncs is great for rock, and my Duane with Dearmonds is great for country. And they're all great for blues. A friend of mine uses an X 150D for everything.