Guild F30NT (60's)

Darron

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has info on a 60's Guild F30NT ? Like what woods they are constructed with, playability etc.

Would be interested if anyone could compare playing differences etc to a GF55 NT as ive experience with one of these.

Thanks heaps :)

Darron

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has info on a 60's Guild F30NT ? Like what woods they are constructed with, playability etc.

Would be interested if anyone could compare playing differences etc to a GF55 NT as ive experience with one of these.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darron said:

Hallo Darron,

I do have a '60s F-30. Not an NT but that's just the finish color of the top. I have a Sunburst (SB) one.
It's a great fingerpicking guitar. Very light and responsive. Spruce top, mahogany sides & back, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard & bridge.
About the size of a classical guitar but with a narrow neck. The narrow neck is the only thing I don't like about the guitar, but I've learned to cope with that. Not a big sounding guitar for flatpicking.
Now the GF-55 is more like a small jumbo. It's great for fingerpicking and flatpicking as well. Definitely bigger sound, but it's a bigger guitar!

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darron said:

Hallo Darron,

I do have a '60s F-30. Not an NT but that's just the finish color of the top. I have a Sunburst (SB) one.
It's a great fingerpicking guitar. Very light and responsive. Spruce top, mahogany sides & back, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard & bridge.
About the size of a classical guitar but with a narrow neck. The narrow neck is the only thing I don't like about the guitar, but I've learned to cope with that. Not a big sounding guitar for flatpicking.
Now the GF-55 is more like a small jumbo. It's great for fingerpicking and flatpicking as well. Definitely bigger sound, but it's a bigger guitar!

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Bluelizzard

Reaction score
I happen to own both those guitars, a 1964 F30 and a 1991 GF55. Two totally different axes. The 64 F30 is light as a feather and very responsive. The neck on mine is slightly narrower than standard size. It is actually very loud for its size and more than holds its own in jam sessions. A great blues machine thats really fun to play. The GF55 with its larger body and rosewood back & sides has better bass and excellent sustain. Its also much heavier. I love both but couldn't live without the F30. It just fits my style better.

Bluelizzard

Reaction score
I happen to own both those guitars, a 1964 F30 and a 1991 GF55. Two totally different axes. The 64 F30 is light as a feather and very responsive. The neck on mine is slightly narrower than standard size. It is actually very loud for its size and more than holds its own in jam sessions. A great blues machine thats really fun to play. The GF55 with its larger body and rosewood back & sides has better bass and excellent sustain. Its also much heavier. I love both but couldn't live without the F30. It just fits my style better.

Darron

Reaction score
Hey thanks Hans, thats really helpful. I find the GF55 really versitle and well built. but am looking at the F30 to sing a little more seeing that its had time to age as I generally fingerpick.

Would it cope with lower tunings ok seeing that its a lighter guitar ?

Darron

Reaction score
Hey thanks Hans, thats really helpful. I find the GF55 really versitle and well built. but am looking at the F30 to sing a little more seeing that its had time to age as I generally fingerpick.

Darron

Reaction score
Thanks Blue, whats your style ?

Ive played a GF55 a fair bit, and really like it, but when it comes to really quite, sparse playing/picking im not totally sold on the tone ... but like you say, the sustian is good. I cant afford both, so just trying to make a wise choice.

Darron

Reaction score
Thanks Blue, whats your style ?

Ive played a GF55 a fair bit, and really like it, but when it comes to really quite, sparse playing/picking im not totally sold on the tone ... but like you say, the sustian is good. I cant afford both, so just trying to make a wise choice.

Metalman

Reaction score
Guild F-30NT

Darren said:

I find the GF55 really versitle and well built. but am looking at the F30 to sing a little more seeing that its had time to age as I generally fingerpick.

Darren,

You could substitute the bridge pins, bridge saddle, and the nut with Tusq. They make quite a difference in sound.

If you go to a lower tuning, you might get some string buzz. Tune down to "D", and slap on a set of medium Martin SP + strings. That F-30 will come alive.
Dennis