Browsing through the Guitarchives?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, I'm confused about how to use your guitarchives. I don't see how to find more specs like the ones you linked for Yamaha. Is there a way to find similar specs for other guitars?

Pardon the stupidity, but I guess yo're used to getting it from the left side of the Atlantic.

dh

Hello Darryl,

Every once in a while I will get a stupid question but this is definitely not one of them. I can see why people would think that you could get to other specs as well. Well, you can't!
Guitarchives is my own personal archive which consists out of all the information that I've accumulated during the last 45 years (oops!!).
It's a very old-fashioned archive that is basically rows of maps with thousands of catalogs, my photo file with all the photos of instruments that have come through my workshop and a card file. The card file is the most 'modern' part of my archives and it resembles a data-base as you would find on a computer. It's a card for each instrument that I've come across with a photo and all the specs filled in by hand.
There are thousands of cards and they are sorted by brand and model.
A card looks like this:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/Card_1.jpg

and there might be some extra photos on the back like this:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/Card_2.jpg

All the information on the cards come from actual instruments, so they're not catalog specifications and therefore the information sometimes is in conflict with what the catalogs say. These cards are the backbone of Guitarchives and it's what most of my research is based on.

Recently I've started to import the specs of these cards into an Excell file but I do enjoy going through the 'old' card file, much more than going through a computer database.

Anyway, I have a server on which I've placed my web site, which is: http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

I've reserved some space on the server for photo material so whenever I get a question about something that needs an additional photo, I will go into my archives and find it. After I've scanned it I just park the photo on my server (pretty much like 'photobucket.com') and give people a link to it. You cannot browse through all these photos. It's just like a big shoebox with random photos and the only way to get in there is through my computer.
The photos just stay on the server and from time to time I need to clean up the 'shoe box' because it's taking up too much space.

However, if you really want to browse through the Guitarchives you can do that but you would need to do it 'live'.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, I'm confused about how to use your guitarchives. I don't see how to find more specs like the ones you linked for Yamaha. Is there a way to find similar specs for other guitars?

Pardon the stupidity, but I guess yo're used to getting it from the left side of the Atlantic.

dh

Hello Darryl,

Every once in a while I will get a stupid question but this is definitely not one of them. I can see why people would think that you could get to other specs as well. Well, you can't!
Guitarchives is my own personal archive which consists out of all the information that I've accumulated during the last 45 years (oops!!).
It's a very old-fashioned archive that is basically rows of maps with thousands of catalogs, my photo file with all the photos of instruments that have come through my workshop and a card file. The card file is the most 'modern' part of my archives and it resembles a data-base as you would find on a computer. It's a card for each instrument that I've come across with a photo and all the specs filled in by hand.
There are thousands of cards and they are sorted by brand and model.
A card looks like this:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/Card_1.jpg

and there might be some extra photos on the back like this:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/Card_2.jpg

All the information on the cards come from actual instruments, so they're not catalog specifications and therefore the information sometimes is in conflict with what the catalogs say. These cards are the backbone of Guitarchives and it's what most of my research is based on.

Recently I've started to import the specs of these cards into an Excell file but I do enjoy going through the 'old' card file, much more than going through a computer database.

Anyway, I have a server on which I've placed my web site, which is: http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

I've reserved some space on the server for photo material so whenever I get a question about something that needs an additional photo, I will go into my archives and find it. After I've scanned it I just park the photo on my server (pretty much like 'photobucket.com') and give people a link to it. You cannot browse through all these photos. It's just like a big shoebox with random photos and the only way to get in there is through my computer.
The photos just stay on the server and from time to time I need to clean up the 'shoe box' because it's taking up too much space.

However, if you really want to browse through the Guitarchives you can do that but you would need to do it 'live'.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Did that F30 come through your shop? I think most of the Simon and Garfunkel's acoustic solos were recorded on that, right?

That back is another example of Braz that looks like Indian to me. I guess the ability to tell the difference just comes with experience.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Did that F30 come through your shop? I think most of the Simon and Garfunkel's acoustic solos were recorded on that, right?

That back is another example of Braz that looks like Indian to me. I guess the ability to tell the difference just comes with experience.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rosewood

Darryl Hattenhauer said:

Hello Darryl,

No, it did not come through my shop but at one point I was able to inspect that guitar (and several others of P.S.'s guitars) in and out and I also had the opportunity to make a lot of photos. I have no way of knowing if he did all of his acoustic work on that guitar but it was his main gigging guitar for a long time. Actually, he has 2 of these F-30R Specials.

Re. the rosewood on that guitar:
That back doesn't look like Indian at all, so I assume you're looking for the wrong details. If I had to describe the difference in appearance between the two, then the best way for me to do that would be comparing them as pieces of art:
I would say that the grain of Brazilian rosewood looks more like a pen-drawing whereas Indian would look more like the colors were applied with a brush.
I'm not sure if that makes sense to you but that's what it feels like to me.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rosewood

Darryl Hattenhauer said:

Hello Darryl,

No, it did not come through my shop but at one point I was able to inspect that guitar (and several others of P.S.'s guitars) in and out and I also had the opportunity to make a lot of photos. I have no way of knowing if he did all of his acoustic work on that guitar but it was his main gigging guitar for a long time. Actually, he has 2 of these F-30R Specials.

Re. the rosewood on that guitar:
That back doesn't look like Indian at all, so I assume you're looking for the wrong details. If I had to describe the difference in appearance between the two, then the best way for me to do that would be comparing them as pieces of art:
I would say that the grain of Brazilian rosewood looks more like a pen-drawing whereas Indian would look more like the colors were applied with a brush.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: rosewood

If I had to describe the difference in appearance between the two, then the best way for me to do that would be comparing them as pieces of art:

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Maybe I should add that the above 'statement' works best when looking at quarter-sawn wood. With flat-sawn wood the figuring of the grain sometimes becomes so different that some people don't even recognize it as the same wood. Pictures often don't have enough detail to show the difference between Indian and Brazilian unless we're looking at the typical 'spider webs' that are common in nice quality Brazilian, but is not a guarantee that it is Brazilian. Other wood species have that feature too!

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: rosewood

If I had to describe the difference in appearance between the two, then the best way for me to do that would be comparing them as pieces of art:

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Maybe I should add that the above 'statement' works best when looking at quarter-sawn wood. With flat-sawn wood the figuring of the grain sometimes becomes so different that some people don't even recognize it as the same wood. Pictures often don't have enough detail to show the difference between Indian and Brazilian unless we're looking at the typical 'spider webs' that are common in nice quality Brazilian, but is not a guarantee that it is Brazilian. Other wood species have that feature too!

Hans