pick selection & styles

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
For flatpicking my acoustics, I like a Dunlop 1.0 or similar nylon pick with lots of grip. For fingerpicking, I prefer the Pro-Pik brass 1-ANG, and for the thumb a plastic wraparound type with a skinny blade (about 1/8" wide). Zookie also makes an excellent thumbpick if you prefer a heavier one.

I prefer the brass fingerpicks over the steel, they sound better on my strings, I always play D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums on my Guilds (ever since they quit making Nashville Straights - anyone remember those? They came in a long flat box, their claim to fame is that they were never coiled...)

Does anyone here play bottleneck slide on their acoustic? What works best for you?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
For flatpicking my acoustics, I like a Dunlop 1.0 or similar nylon pick with lots of grip. For fingerpicking, I prefer the Pro-Pik brass 1-ANG, and for the thumb a plastic wraparound type with a skinny blade (about 1/8" wide). Zookie also makes an excellent thumbpick if you prefer a heavier one.

I prefer the brass fingerpicks over the steel, they sound better on my strings, I always play D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums on my Guilds (ever since they quit making Nashville Straights - anyone remember those? They came in a long flat box, their claim to fame is that they were never coiled...)

Does anyone here play bottleneck slide on their acoustic? What works best for you?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I use Herco thumbpicks, the ones where the "blade" or picking surface is shaped like a flatpick. You can hold it against your first and second fingers and flatpick with it. So you can switch from guitar to banjo to mando to steel in the same song without changing picks.

If you think Nashville straights are rare, try finding them in San Francisco.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I use Herco thumbpicks, the ones where the "blade" or picking surface is shaped like a flatpick. You can hold it against your first and second fingers and flatpick with it. So you can switch from guitar to banjo to mando to steel in the same song without changing picks.

If you think Nashville straights are rare, try finding them in San Francisco.