Headstock Logo 'G-Shield' vs 'Chesterfield'

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Headstock Logo "G-Shield" vs "Chesterfiel

Mr. Magic Takamine said:
Hello,

I am a new Guild-Fan, and want to know what's the meaning of the different logos "G-Shield" and "Chesterfield". On my JF-30 it ist the Chesterfield-Logo.

Hello Dietmar,

Don't think there is a specific meaning to the different headstock overlays other than one looks a bit more luxurious than the other and consequently costs a bit more to produce. Traditionally the G-shield headstock was reserved for the higher-end models and the Chesterfield headstock was used on everything that was in between the low-end and the high-end.
Following usual Guild practice there are some models that should have had the Chesterfield inlay but didn't get it.
The low-end models usually had a simple Guild decal or just the Guild logo in pearloid. Maybe you should take a look in 'The Guild Guitar Book' which will give you a good overview of the different headstocks between 1952 and 1977.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Headstock Logo "G-Shield" vs "Chesterfiel

Mr. Magic Takamine said:
Hello,

I am a new Guild-Fan, and want to know what's the meaning of the different logos "G-Shield" and "Chesterfield". On my JF-30 it ist the Chesterfield-Logo.

Hello Dietmar,

Don't think there is a specific meaning to the different headstock overlays other than one looks a bit more luxurious than the other and consequently costs a bit more to produce. Traditionally the G-shield headstock was reserved for the higher-end models and the Chesterfield headstock was used on everything that was in between the low-end and the high-end.
Following usual Guild practice there are some models that should have had the Chesterfield inlay but didn't get it.
The low-end models usually had a simple Guild decal or just the Guild logo in pearloid. Maybe you should take a look in 'The Guild Guitar Book' which will give you a good overview of the different headstocks between 1952 and 1977.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
Hallo Hans,

thank you for your answer. That would mean, ist is similar to the Gibson-Logos. The 'normal' for the standard-versions and the additional 'custom' logo for all customs. I have seen 'The Guild Guitar Book' on Amazon.de - but it is written in english and maybe hard to read for me, so I have to use my translation-book for many words...

Do you come from Germany? - Hans is a typical german Name?

Have you read my other question here? - I am interested in the loss of quality of Guild Guitars they where build by fender. Is ist true? When was the factory in Rhode Island closed? Where do new Guilds come from? I got a Guild catalogue from the year 2003. Are there any catalogues from the year 2000 and/or pricelists - maybe in german?

Best regards - Dietmar

Reaction score
Hallo Hans,

thank you for your answer. That would mean, ist is similar to the Gibson-Logos. The 'normal' for the standard-versions and the additional 'custom' logo for all customs. I have seen 'The Guild Guitar Book' on Amazon.de - but it is written in english and maybe hard to read for me, so I have to use my translation-book for many words...

Have you read my other question here? - I am interested in the loss of quality of Guild Guitars they where build by fender. Is ist true? When was the factory in Rhode Island closed? Where do new Guilds come from? I got a Guild catalogue from the year 2003. Are there any catalogues from the year 2000 and/or pricelists - maybe in german?

Best regards - Dietmar

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mr. Magic Takamine said:
I have seen 'The Guild Guitar Book' on Amazon.de - but it is written in english and maybe hard to read for me, so I have to use my translation-book for many words...

Hello again Dietmar,

If you have no problem reading these messages on the forum, you should have no trouble reading 'The Guild Guitar Book'. I never studied English other than in highschool, so you will not run into difficult words while reading it.

I'm from the Netherlands and Hans is a pretty common name here too.

The factory in Rhode Island was closed in 2001. After that they were made for a while in Corona, CA and now they are manufactured by the people who used to make (and still make) Tacoma Guitars in Washington.

If you're looking for older Guild catalogs, just get back with me through my web-site at: http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mr. Magic Takamine said:
I have seen 'The Guild Guitar Book' on Amazon.de - but it is written in english and maybe hard to read for me, so I have to use my translation-book for many words...

Hello again Dietmar,

If you have no problem reading these messages on the forum, you should have no trouble reading 'The Guild Guitar Book'. I never studied English other than in highschool, so you will not run into difficult words while reading it.

I'm from the Netherlands and Hans is a pretty common name here too.

The factory in Rhode Island was closed in 2001. After that they were made for a while in Corona, CA and now they are manufactured by the people who used to make (and still make) Tacoma Guitars in Washington.

If you're looking for older Guild catalogs, just get back with me through my web-site at: http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Here's the difference between European and American education.

A Dutchman comes out of high school and can write a book in English. An American comes out of high school and can't even read a book in English. And a German writes better English than most Americans, but he thinks his English isn't very good.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Here's the difference between European and American education.

A Dutchman comes out of high school and can write a book in English. An American comes out of high school and can't even read a book in English. And a German writes better English than most Americans, but he thinks his English isn't very good.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Tubingen but don't know where it is. I havent been through Germany for 18 years. The last time I was there, I looked at the Berlin wall and predicted ii would last 1,000 years, and it fell in about 6 months. I lived in Greece, Denmark, and Sweden.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Tubingen but don't know where it is. I havent been through Germany for 18 years. The last time I was there, I looked at the Berlin wall and predicted ii would last 1,000 years, and it fell in about 6 months. I lived in Greece, Denmark, and Sweden.