Suggestion for new Forum sub-section.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gidday Don. How about a "Rogue's Gallery", wherein members can post photo's of themselves for other's education / amusement ? Also, an epicures column would be nice - I've kick-started that one under "Coastie's Guitar Practise." Or do you think I should find more constructive things to do on a Sunday afternoon ?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gidday Don. How about a "Rogue's Gallery", wherein members can post photo's of themselves for other's education / amusement ? Also, an epicures column would be nice - I've kick-started that one under "Coastie's Guitar Practise." Or do you think I should find more constructive things to do on a Sunday afternoon ?

dklsplace

Reaction score
I'm always open to making the forum better.

Ease of use is the key (for you to use & for me to facilitate)...too many categories & you have to scroll a mile to get to the bottom of the page...too few & people generally clam up & lurk.

For the time being, I'll keep watch on this (miscellaneous) category to see if there are any trends in "off topic" threads that may lead to new categories.

Thanks everyone, for being part of keeping this place fun & interesting! 8)

Don

dklsplace

Reaction score
I'm always open to making the forum better.

Ease of use is the key (for you to use & for me to facilitate)...too many categories & you have to scroll a mile to get to the bottom of the page...too few & people generally clam up & lurk.

For the time being, I'll keep watch on this (miscellaneous) category to see if there are any trends in "off topic" threads that may lead to new categories.

Thanks everyone, for being part of keeping this place fun & interesting! 8)

Don

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Digital Picture Gallery

A picture gallery would be an interesting addition.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic someone sent me last week of my hairy paw and my '62 Guild X175 :
[img:769:575]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/WalterBroes/58562186.jpg[/img]

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's a "Chet Atkins handle" that I put on it, it's slightly longer than a regular one which is nice, and I think it looks cool too.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Both Merle Travis and Chet Atkins had these wire type arms on their Bigsby vibratos - Travis' being much longer and reaching to the end of the fingerboard of his Gibson Super 400.

The Chet type arm on my guitar swivels though - the orginal ones Chet and Merle used were the "fixed" variety that didn't move - handy for fingerpicking, potentially very painful if you strum or have an active, mobile flatpicking hand!

All of these Bigsby arms are readily available new and a straight swap for a regular Bigsby arm btw.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Where are they available?

Speaking of trem arms. remember Pistol PeteTownsend. Remember how he held his right arm stiff at the elbow and swung his arm around like the blade on a (Dutch) windmill at top speed? He ran a strat trem arm completely through his right hand.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You can order them from any Gretsch dealer - Gretsch owns Bigsby these days, and the different arms are in the catalog/pricelist. I got mine second hand off Ebay.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I saw him break a new handmade gem like a Kronbauer or something, and I thought it was a waste (I never thought that about a Gibson). But when he was talking on the show later, he said that the guitar wasn't rare, that it would bring free advertising to the deserving maker, and it could be sold for charity at a higher price in smashed condition. I felt a whole lot better about the whole thing. And Pete wasn't as crazy as he seemed.

Keith was.