Is There a Major Diff Between Corona Guilds & Tacomas? D

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Hi everybody first time poster here, i posted this question in another great guitar forum (acousticguitarforum.com) so i hope you dont mind if i c and p it here it is:

"Hi, first-time poster here! Well, i did a search for people's opinions on Corona-built Guilds and i came away with the impression that if you must buy a Guild, Pre-Fender Westerley Guilds are the way to go...But, I've had my eye on a beatiful Corona, Ca. Guild D25M on craigslist thats just the right price for me (I know, its very risky to buy from there but i'm short on funds but would really to pick up a new guitar). My question is, other than the people at the Tacoma plant being alot more friendlier (thus leading to the inference that they are more proud of their work and are more professional in business manner), what makes a Tacoma Guild better than a Corona one? Also, does anybody know what precipated the move from Corona to Tacoma (Shoddy worksmanship, I hope not =[) in the first place? The guitar i'm looking at is a flattop D25M solid mahogany/back/sides/neck bone nut and saddle and, although not especially eye-catching, i like its plain aesthetic appeal. I have only been playing guitar for a couple of years and would like some of the more seasoned vets opinions on this..Is Corona really all that bad? By the way my old guitar was an Epi cheapie so im sure this'll sound atleast better than that =). What do you guys think?"

I've since gone ahead and actually purchased a similar guitar on ebay heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Ok well i'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad, you guys have to offer..From what i know, the guitar is in good shape no warpage of the neck and only a few cosmetic dings on the back..Solid mahogany top/back/sides.

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Hi everybody first time poster here, i posted this question in another great guitar forum (acousticguitarforum.com) so i hope you dont mind if i c and p it here it is:

"Hi, first-time poster here! Well, i did a search for people's opinions on Corona-built Guilds and i came away with the impression that if you must buy a Guild, Pre-Fender Westerley Guilds are the way to go...But, I've had my eye on a beatiful Corona, Ca. Guild D25M on craigslist thats just the right price for me (I know, its very risky to buy from there but i'm short on funds but would really to pick up a new guitar). My question is, other than the people at the Tacoma plant being alot more friendlier (thus leading to the inference that they are more proud of their work and are more professional in business manner), what makes a Tacoma Guild better than a Corona one? Also, does anybody know what precipated the move from Corona to Tacoma (Shoddy worksmanship, I hope not =[) in the first place? The guitar i'm looking at is a flattop D25M solid mahogany/back/sides/neck bone nut and saddle and, although not especially eye-catching, i like its plain aesthetic appeal. I have only been playing guitar for a couple of years and would like some of the more seasoned vets opinions on this..Is Corona really all that bad? By the way my old guitar was an Epi cheapie so im sure this'll sound atleast better than that =). What do you guys think?"

I've since gone ahead and actually purchased a similar guitar on ebay heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Ok well i'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad, you guys have to offer..From what i know, the guitar is in good shape no warpage of the neck and only a few cosmetic dings on the back..Solid mahogany top/back/sides.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome Wordless,

Well, those are tough questions you are asking there. I'll take a shot at an answer. I will also be careful to differentiate between hearsay and personal experience.

I have HEARD that the Corona California Guilds did experience problems in manufacture, especially with the finish and the move to Tacoma was one that is supposed to remedy part of that problem. No personal experience with that one, but when you hear something enough times, you begin to believe it.

I HAVE played a few Corona built Guilds acoustics. I thought the D-55 I played had good action and was a good looking guitar, although in my humble opinion, not quite as well made as the Westerlys. Nothing I can put my finger on now as that has been many months ago. At the same store, I played a couple of GAD Guilds (built in China or wherever) and I can vividly remember the frets being very sharp against my fingers to the point that I was worried about cutting my fingers. I suppose givin the benefit of a doubt, it could have been a very dry guitar. Then again, it could have been shoddy workmanship. I just remember being very dissapointed.

I can't comment on the move to Tacoma other than it is supposed to be for the best. The old timers here, myself included, are very proud of their Westerly and Hoboken Guilds. To many of us, there aren't really any other acoustics.

I'm sure your D-25 will give you many years of pleasure, and only you can ultimately be the judge of how well made it is. I pulled up your link and it looks like a nice one.

There is a man who lurks around here named Hans who literally wrote the book on Guild guitars. Every now and then he is good enough to comment. Maybe we'll get lucky!

I know I wasn't much help, but I did want to welcome you to the site. Hang around, a great bunch of people here.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome Wordless,

Well, those are tough questions you are asking there. I'll take a shot at an answer. I will also be careful to differentiate between hearsay and personal experience.

I have HEARD that the Corona California Guilds did experience problems in manufacture, especially with the finish and the move to Tacoma was one that is supposed to remedy part of that problem. No personal experience with that one, but when you hear something enough times, you begin to believe it.

I HAVE played a few Corona built Guilds acoustics. I thought the D-55 I played had good action and was a good looking guitar, although in my humble opinion, not quite as well made as the Westerlys. Nothing I can put my finger on now as that has been many months ago. At the same store, I played a couple of GAD Guilds (built in China or wherever) and I can vividly remember the frets being very sharp against my fingers to the point that I was worried about cutting my fingers. I suppose givin the benefit of a doubt, it could have been a very dry guitar. Then again, it could have been shoddy workmanship. I just remember being very dissapointed.

I can't comment on the move to Tacoma other than it is supposed to be for the best. The old timers here, myself included, are very proud of their Westerly and Hoboken Guilds. To many of us, there aren't really any other acoustics.

I'm sure your D-25 will give you many years of pleasure, and only you can ultimately be the judge of how well made it is. I pulled up your link and it looks like a nice one.

There is a man who lurks around here named Hans who literally wrote the book on Guild guitars. Every now and then he is good enough to comment. Maybe we'll get lucky!

I know I wasn't much help, but I did want to welcome you to the site. Hang around, a great bunch of people here.

West

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome West, yep, i've actually been planning on purchasing a new acoustic for awhile now and i was planning on going with an Epi EJ160E with a pickup but after having scouted around for a bit and listening to a few of my more experienced friends suggestions i decided upon a guild. I also read up on reviews for the D-25 and it seems to be one of their most popular models, not only for the cost, but for the sound as well. From what i have read D25s have a loud projection (although this is probably more true for an arch-top i am guessing) boomy bass and excellent sustain. It also doesnt hurt that one of my favorite artists (Ryan Adams) owns a pretty beat-up Westerley 70s D-25. Well, i'm hoping for the best when i get this guitar as i wasnt able to really test it out (mightve been a mistake, let's hope not *crossed fingers*) but i'm just glad i was able to make my first real big acoustic purchase a guild.

BTW, if any of you guys pull up the link can you tell by the serial number what year my d25 was made? I emailed the guy and he said it was old stock but didnt specify the year, i checked ont he guild website and their list for dating guitars didnt bring up a number with my guitars serial number in it. Also, the reason i ask this is because i've heard (and this is rumor only) that Corona's worksmanship dropped off precipitously towards the end of their run in Ca. and i just want to know if i have one thats older than 2004. Thanks guys!

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome West, yep, i've actually been planning on purchasing a new acoustic for awhile now and i was planning on going with an Epi EJ160E with a pickup but after having scouted around for a bit and listening to a few of my more experienced friends suggestions i decided upon a guild. I also read up on reviews for the D-25 and it seems to be one of their most popular models, not only for the cost, but for the sound as well. From what i have read D25s have a loud projection (although this is probably more true for an arch-top i am guessing) boomy bass and excellent sustain. It also doesnt hurt that one of my favorite artists (Ryan Adams) owns a pretty beat-up Westerley 70s D-25. Well, i'm hoping for the best when i get this guitar as i wasnt able to really test it out (mightve been a mistake, let's hope not *crossed fingers*) but i'm just glad i was able to make my first real big acoustic purchase a guild.

BTW, if any of you guys pull up the link can you tell by the serial number what year my d25 was made? I emailed the guy and he said it was old stock but didnt specify the year, i checked ont he guild website and their list for dating guitars didnt bring up a number with my guitars serial number in it. Also, the reason i ask this is because i've heard (and this is rumor only) that Corona's worksmanship dropped off precipitously towards the end of their run in Ca. and i just want to know if i have one thats older than 2004. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Comparative opinion

Wordless - Welcome and hope you'll enjoy our little community. I'm a long-time Guild devotee - feeling them greatly under-rated. Just a quick run-through of the various Guild stages. I have a Hoboken and the workmanship is good, but it's a bit primitive. I have a number of Westerly's and sometimes the "clean-up" leaves something to be desired, but each guitar has "that Guild sound" and is an unusual instrument. I can't imagine playing any better. When Guild was bought out by Fender, it was eventually determined (according to the corporate line) that it would not be cost-effective to modernize the Westerly plant and everything was moved to Corona - except the fine people who build Guilds. After playing a number of Corona Guilds - the sucked - sorry, but it's the general truth for me. They just didn't measure up and several stores/repairmen/luthiers have told me the bridges "pop" off, as the faces appear to have been finished before the bridges were attached. (The problem of letting electric guitar people build acoustics.)

Eventually, Corona's reputation was so besmirched that Fender ceased production and purchased the Tacoma plant, where Guilds are now made. On tour this weekend, I saw/played my first Tacoma Guild ..... it was...OK. It looked like a Guild, sounded pretty much like a Guild, but - maybe it was a bad vibe - it just didn't seem something I would invest in. It remains to be seen how Tacoma fares in this sad tale.

As far as the Chinese "Guilds" - I've played a number of them in a number of locations. To me - they are not Guild - despite what the headstock says. They are decent student-level/entry-level guitars, a bit over-priced but don't sound or look like Guilds. Sorry, just don't.

All that being said...the problem with Fender/Guild is the people running the outfit. The Donnie Wades and Bill Actons running the show for FMIC don't have a vision - they are simply manufacturers selling 'product'. They haven't shown any significant interest in the players - especially those long-standing supporters. I also think they are guilty of misleading the public - they don't say in ads that the GAD series are built in China, they don't tell people readily that they'd had some problems but are working to fix it, they seem to have no intention of courting good favor with long-standing supporters. In short, how can the hands work when the head is ailing?

BUT - each guitar should be judged on its own merits. It's all about what you, the player, are looking for. If it satisfies your needs - it's the right guitar for you. The D-25 has long been one of the essential building blocks of the Guild line. Enjoy your guitar. Best to you. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Reaction score
Comparative opinion

Wordless - Welcome and hope you'll enjoy our little community. I'm a long-time Guild devotee - feeling them greatly under-rated. Just a quick run-through of the various Guild stages. I have a Hoboken and the workmanship is good, but it's a bit primitive. I have a number of Westerly's and sometimes the "clean-up" leaves something to be desired, but each guitar has "that Guild sound" and is an unusual instrument. I can't imagine playing any better. When Guild was bought out by Fender, it was eventually determined (according to the corporate line) that it would not be cost-effective to modernize the Westerly plant and everything was moved to Corona - except the fine people who build Guilds. After playing a number of Corona Guilds - the sucked - sorry, but it's the general truth for me. They just didn't measure up and several stores/repairmen/luthiers have told me the bridges "pop" off, as the faces appear to have been finished before the bridges were attached. (The problem of letting electric guitar people build acoustics.)

Eventually, Corona's reputation was so besmirched that Fender ceased production and purchased the Tacoma plant, where Guilds are now made. On tour this weekend, I saw/played my first Tacoma Guild ..... it was...OK. It looked like a Guild, sounded pretty much like a Guild, but - maybe it was a bad vibe - it just didn't seem something I would invest in. It remains to be seen how Tacoma fares in this sad tale.

As far as the Chinese "Guilds" - I've played a number of them in a number of locations. To me - they are not Guild - despite what the headstock says. They are decent student-level/entry-level guitars, a bit over-priced but don't sound or look like Guilds. Sorry, just don't.

All that being said...the problem with Fender/Guild is the people running the outfit. The Donnie Wades and Bill Actons running the show for FMIC don't have a vision - they are simply manufacturers selling 'product'. They haven't shown any significant interest in the players - especially those long-standing supporters. I also think they are guilty of misleading the public - they don't say in ads that the GAD series are built in China, they don't tell people readily that they'd had some problems but are working to fix it, they seem to have no intention of courting good favor with long-standing supporters. In short, how can the hands work when the head is ailing?

BUT - each guitar should be judged on its own merits. It's all about what you, the player, are looking for. If it satisfies your needs - it's the right guitar for you. The D-25 has long been one of the essential building blocks of the Guild line. Enjoy your guitar. Best to you. dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Word.

IMHO, that is one great looking guitar.

Also, a D25 is the best buy on the planet, and that's not an opinion, that's a scientifically proven fact because I've played every guitar on the planet. :D

As for Coronas, what I've heard is not that they were generally bad, but that they were inconsistent. A few bad guitars really wrecks your reputation. Adding to the reputation problem is that Guild dumped a lot of seconds before the move. I've heard that a good Corona is as good as earlier Guilds, but you have to inspect each one to know if it's good. And the most common problem, I've heard, is that the finish was so thick it dulled the tone.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Word.

IMHO, that is one great looking guitar.

Also, a D25 is the best buy on the planet, and that's not an opinion, that's a scientifically proven fact because I've played every guitar on the planet. :D

As for Coronas, what I've heard is not that they were generally bad, but that they were inconsistent. A few bad guitars really wrecks your reputation. Adding to the reputation problem is that Guild dumped a lot of seconds before the move. I've heard that a good Corona is as good as earlier Guilds, but you have to inspect each one to know if it's good. And the most common problem, I've heard, is that the finish was so thick it dulled the tone.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith and Darryl,

You guys have been holding on out me! Evidently, Hans has come out with the sequel "The Guild Guitar Book II 1978-", and no one has told me. There is no other way two people could have so much knowledge!!!!!!!! :lol:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Smith and Darryl,

You guys have been holding on out me! Evidently, Hans has come out with the sequel "The Guild Guitar Book II 1978-", and no one has told me. There is no other way two people could have so much knowledge!!!!!!!! :lol:

West

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for all the info guys, i dunno i guess im just hoping i didnt get a lemon..still havent received it yet but when i do i'll be sure to get back to you guys and report on here..Keep in mind i have a novice ear since the only other guitar i have to compare it to is my starter epi lol..Anyways, thanks again for all of the info..Oh one more thing, is there a way to discern through the serial number whether my guitar is a "second" and by second i assume you mean factory irregular? Also, if people could click on the ebay link i provided in my previous post which has a pic of the headstock and serial number, id be grateful if somebody could help me date my guitar..thanks guys!

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for all the info guys, i dunno i guess im just hoping i didnt get a lemon..still havent received it yet but when i do i'll be sure to get back to you guys and report on here..Keep in mind i have a novice ear since the only other guitar i have to compare it to is my starter epi lol..Anyways, thanks again for all of the info..Oh one more thing, is there a way to discern through the serial number whether my guitar is a "second" and by second i assume you mean factory irregular? Also, if people could click on the ebay link i provided in my previous post which has a pic of the headstock and serial number, id be grateful if somebody could help me date my guitar..thanks guys!

HoboKen

Reaction score
I stilll love my plain 60's Hoboken F212. It was a quantum jump in '66 when I gave up a Gibson 12 for it. Never ever regretted that move.

I kept my 60's Kalamazoo Epi Texan and even though my Westerly DV-72 far out performs it, I can play John's "This Old Guitar," with it and every word is true for me. The new Epi Elite Series Texan is very close to the original, but again, rosewood & mahogany New York , Hoboken, and Westerly Guilds just are better over-all.

The only Gibson I've ever played and I've played many, (maybe not every one of 'em in the world like others may claim - lol) ....that came close to a Guild was a friend's Kalamazoo J-200. It was sure fancier than my Westerly JF-30! but, about equal in other catagories......and I sure paid less for the JF-30!

My Westerly JF-55-12 is the absolute best guitar I've ever played. I played it head to head against the best that Taylor, Martin, & Gibson had to offer. It was not even close!

All guitar companies have good years and bad.
New York Epiphone built a better guitar than Gibson, but Gibson had better business people running the company and bought out Epiphone. For a while a Kalamazoo Epi was the same exact guitar as a Gibson except for the neck and headstock, which were fancier than the Gibsons. Now, the Japan made Epi Elites are better in quality control than are the USA Gibsons. I'm sorry, but the new Gibsons have no real quality control......and they want so much more money for "em!!

I've recently played newer Martin D-28s and D-35s that back in the 60's would never have made it out of the factory to the light of day!.....and Martin has better quality control than Gibson or Taylor!

Taylor started to build a very thin top to get a great sound out of their guitars. Almost all of 'em started to have the bridge pull up within a year.
It almost ruined the company before they got wiser about how to build a more "durable" good sounding guitar.

Ovation still glues its bridge on top of the finish instead of woood to wood!
And they wonder why their bridges go "Tayor" on 'em!

Yep! I agree, the newer over-seas Guilds just are not Guilds. They are OK....but just not a Guild. The DeArmonds were more a Guild than the GADs are. Granted its just one man's opinion, but the DeArmond Electrics were better than the USA Fenders!! There! I've said it!

I've been kicking around getting a New Tacoma D-55, but it would have to matach my Westerly JF-55-12 in quality. The question of the decade......is that possible??

HoboKen

HoboKen

Reaction score
I stilll love my plain 60's Hoboken F212. It was a quantum jump in '66 when I gave up a Gibson 12 for it. Never ever regretted that move.

I kept my 60's Kalamazoo Epi Texan and even though my Westerly DV-72 far out performs it, I can play John's "This Old Guitar," with it and every word is true for me. The new Epi Elite Series Texan is very close to the original, but again, rosewood & mahogany New York , Hoboken, and Westerly Guilds just are better over-all.

The only Gibson I've ever played and I've played many, (maybe not every one of 'em in the world like others may claim - lol) ....that came close to a Guild was a friend's Kalamazoo J-200. It was sure fancier than my Westerly JF-30! but, about equal in other catagories......and I sure paid less for the JF-30!

My Westerly JF-55-12 is the absolute best guitar I've ever played. I played it head to head against the best that Taylor, Martin, & Gibson had to offer. It was not even close!

All guitar companies have good years and bad.
New York Epiphone built a better guitar than Gibson, but Gibson had better business people running the company and bought out Epiphone. For a while a Kalamazoo Epi was the same exact guitar as a Gibson except for the neck and headstock, which were fancier than the Gibsons. Now, the Japan made Epi Elites are better in quality control than are the USA Gibsons. I'm sorry, but the new Gibsons have no real quality control......and they want so much more money for "em!!

I've recently played newer Martin D-28s and D-35s that back in the 60's would never have made it out of the factory to the light of day!.....and Martin has better quality control than Gibson or Taylor!

Taylor started to build a very thin top to get a great sound out of their guitars. Almost all of 'em started to have the bridge pull up within a year.
It almost ruined the company before they got wiser about how to build a more "durable" good sounding guitar.

Ovation still glues its bridge on top of the finish instead of woood to wood!
And they wonder why their bridges go "Tayor" on 'em!

Yep! I agree, the newer over-seas Guilds just are not Guilds. They are OK....but just not a Guild. The DeArmonds were more a Guild than the GADs are. Granted its just one man's opinion, but the DeArmond Electrics were better than the USA Fenders!! There! I've said it!

I've been kicking around getting a New Tacoma D-55, but it would have to matach my Westerly JF-55-12 in quality. The question of the decade......is that possible??

HoboKen

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hattenhauer? An expert? That old geezer? HAH! He can't even tell Braz from Indian. You want Guild experts, the kings of the hill are Hans, plus Jay Pilzer at guildguy.com. It looks like HoboKen is giving them a run for their money. Ken, I absolutely agree with you about Gibson. I didn't know that about Taylor, but it figures becasue they are built so light. Ovation? Do they make guitars?

Here is a place to date Guilds, but it only goes up to 1999
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hattenhauer? An expert? That old geezer? HAH! He can't even tell Braz from Indian. You want Guild experts, the kings of the hill are Hans, plus Jay Pilzer at guildguy.com. It looks like HoboKen is giving them a run for their money. Ken, I absolutely agree with you about Gibson. I didn't know that about Taylor, but it figures becasue they are built so light. Ovation? Do they make guitars?

Here is a place to date Guilds, but it only goes up to 1999
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Yep from the sounds of it this person Hansmoust has an extensive knowledge concerning Guilds since he wrote a book about them..I wonder what his take on this topic would be...Hans where are you? Hehe

wordlesschorus

Reaction score
Yep from the sounds of it this person Hansmoust has an extensive knowledge concerning Guilds since he wrote a book about them..I wonder what his take on this topic would be...Hans where are you? Hehe