DV 62

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a DV 62 for 800. Nice guitar, Price seemed quite reasonable for Rosewood Dreadnaught.

Sounds great. Does anyone out ther know anything about this guitar. I know DV 52, DV 62 & DV 72 models exist, I don't know the difference.

It would seem the DV 62 is in less demand than the more ornate D 55

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a DV 62 for 800. Nice guitar, Price seemed quite reasonable for Rosewood Dreadnaught.

Sounds great. Does anyone out ther know anything about this guitar. I know DV 52, DV 62 & DV 72 models exist, I don't know the difference.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:

Hello Jeff,

Congrats! That's a good price for a DV-62. Depending on what year it is from it can have slightly different specs. but it originally was the 'High Gloss' version of the DV-52 (before you could get the DV-52 with a 'high gloss' finish as an option) with slightly nicer body binding and wood purflings, similar to the DV-72. Sort of like a 'deluxe version' of the DV-52, without the 'gaudy' look of the DV-72/73/74 etc. Made between 1993 and 1995.

Don't think it's in less demand than the D-55. Actually the body bindings of the DV-62 are more ornate than the D-55. Most people simply don't know they exist.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:

Hello Jeff,

Congrats! That's a good price for a DV-62. Depending on what year it is from it can have slightly different specs. but it originally was the 'High Gloss' version of the DV-52 (before you could get the DV-52 with a 'high gloss' finish as an option) with slightly nicer body binding and wood purflings, similar to the DV-72. Sort of like a 'deluxe version' of the DV-52, without the 'gaudy' look of the DV-72/73/74 etc. Made between 1993 and 1995.

Don't think it's in less demand than the D-55. Actually the body bindings of the DV-62 are more ornate than the D-55. Most people simply don't know they exist.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Hans,

Thank you for your brief on DV 62's. It led me to some interesting info.

By the way , I saw a copy of your book on E Bay. The book covered up to 1977, I considered bidding but thought you might have something more current.

After reading up a bit, thanks to this website, I think I got a pretty fair deal.

I read something of George Gruen & his apparent influence on the design of the DV 52, 62, 72 models. Is this so & is that a good thing? Do you know if the V indicates a Vintage reference.

I checked inside & sure enough, it has nicely scalloped braces. Ser# EK100879 handwritten on the label inside & stamped on the back of the headstock. The purfling & rosette are just a cut above. The grovers are nice as well. The guitar has a nice neck, the fingerboard may be just a bit narrow, I haven't decided yet.

The action is ok, it plays great, but if I hadn't gotten all excited I probably should have haggled $50 or $75 more because of the action, It was obviously a finely crafted instrument, the finish is objectively 89% to 91%, with a tremendous voice, plays like a piano. Very interesting mid range chimes. I am almost positive (almost) the guitar is in original condition, however the factory finish on the top appears to have brush strokes & there are some minute dust particles in the finish. Perhaps the guitar was finished on a Friday afternoon after the crew drank a few beers at lunch. Still I am surprised to see brush strokes in the finish. I would have thought Guild was 100% a spray finish operation by the time this guitar was built.

My regular player for the last 2 years has been a 1956/57 F 20 Troubador, The neck on the F20 is pretty darn small but I have grown accustomed to having to play just a bit more precisely. I am actually quite fond of the F20, it's small, comfortable, & it cooks, especially for a small guitar.

But there is no doubt this DV 62 has a much bigger sound.

The fingerboard on the DV 62 is just a bit wider but the neck itself is just a bit thiner.

I have a few general questions about Guilds & appreciate the info from the website.

Mail me back when you have time

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Hans,

Thank you for your brief on DV 62's. It led me to some interesting info.

By the way , I saw a copy of your book on E Bay. The book covered up to 1977, I considered bidding but thought you might have something more current.

After reading up a bit, thanks to this website, I think I got a pretty fair deal.

I read something of George Gruen & his apparent influence on the design of the DV 52, 62, 72 models. Is this so & is that a good thing? Do you know if the V indicates a Vintage reference.

I checked inside & sure enough, it has nicely scalloped braces. Ser# EK100879 handwritten on the label inside & stamped on the back of the headstock. The purfling & rosette are just a cut above. The grovers are nice as well. The guitar has a nice neck, the fingerboard may be just a bit narrow, I haven't decided yet.

The action is ok, it plays great, but if I hadn't gotten all excited I probably should have haggled $50 or $75 more because of the action, It was obviously a finely crafted instrument, the finish is objectively 89% to 91%, with a tremendous voice, plays like a piano. Very interesting mid range chimes. I am almost positive (almost) the guitar is in original condition, however the factory finish on the top appears to have brush strokes & there are some minute dust particles in the finish. Perhaps the guitar was finished on a Friday afternoon after the crew drank a few beers at lunch. Still I am surprised to see brush strokes in the finish. I would have thought Guild was 100% a spray finish operation by the time this guitar was built.

My regular player for the last 2 years has been a 1956/57 F 20 Troubador, The neck on the F20 is pretty darn small but I have grown accustomed to having to play just a bit more precisely. I am actually quite fond of the F20, it's small, comfortable, & it cooks, especially for a small guitar.

But there is no doubt this DV 62 has a much bigger sound.

The fingerboard on the DV 62 is just a bit wider but the neck itself is just a bit thiner.

I have a few general questions about Guilds & appreciate the info from the website.

Mail me back when you have time

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Hans,

Did you say that my DV-72 looked "GAUDY"?

Yes I said it but didn't mean it and that's why I wrote it between 'exclamation marks'! I guess this is all a matter of taste. I have customers who think that dots in the fingerboard are already 'overkill'.

Sincerely,

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Hans,

Did you say that my DV-72 looked "GAUDY"?

Yes I said it but didn't mean it and that's why I wrote it between 'exclamation marks'! I guess this is all a matter of taste. I have customers who think that dots in the fingerboard are already 'overkill'.

Sincerely,

Hans

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

I was really laughing with my wife about your comment. I didn't take it too seriously. In fact, I had to break out a Martin catalog and show her a Martin limited D-100. Now that's gaudy, but then again, I probably am saying that because I seriously doubt that I will win the lottery and be able to pay the $100,000 for it....or whatever it is that thing costs. :roll:

As always, I appreciate your comments.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a little "Sour Grapes" maybe. I am too poor to deliberately put down the bucks for the fancy inlay jobs. However, if I ever found a sweet deal on one of the fancy "gaudy" models I don't think I would turn it down because it was too flashy. A guy can always turn the lights down if the glare gets to be a problem.

I just put some heavy bass strings on my DV 62, .059 for the E & .048 for the A. It sounds just great, bass booms out with authority, but I am concerned it will twist the neck. Looking for some free advice.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I just put some heavy bass strings on my DV 62, .059 for the E & .048 for the A. It sounds just great, bass booms out with authority, but I am concerned it will twist the neck. Looking for some free advice.

Hello Jeff,

It depends on the specific guitar whether it will hold up or not. Personally I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than .013 - .056 on a guitar like that unless you were using for a 'lower' tuning.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, Thannks for the tip. I had already picked up a set of 13 - 56, but I bought just the two heavier guage strings to see what it would do.

I like the way the heavy strings make it talk bigger, but not enough to risk the possible damage.

I'll change it out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it'll take it overnight.

Do you have any pictures of your neck resets on Guilds? I have been told Guild necks are more difficult than some because of the way they were finished & glued.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hey Jeff, try drop D tuning before taking off those strings. I bet it will really rattle your bones!

I have customers who think that dots in the fingerboard are already 'overkill
I'm kind of in the middle on this subject. I'm not a huge fan of the big block inlays, but really like the looks of the higher end two tone blocks.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The dropped D tuning is interesting . There is a lot of testosterone in big, fat strings.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

You might enjoy the fact that I bought my DV-62 from someone in Seatlle.
I realise Seatlle is a big city but do you happen to know a Mr. R. Joyce?

Hans

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, You are correct, Seattle is a big place. Perhaps a more accurate assessment is Seattle, geographically, is small, too small to accomodate the population. Worse, very few of the new folks coming her bring any good wood with them, they wait till they get here & then go shopping, driving the prices up. I advertised a nothing special Gibson SG a couple weeks ago & had to go away for the weekend because of the phone. It sold in about 5 hours for what I considered top money. At least I would have never paid the price.

I retired from full time income producing & now enjoy a much slower paced lifestyle & community. I moved 50 mi South of Seattle proper to Olympia,

Sorry, I do not know Mr Joyce. I do however know most every guitar shop proprietor from the Canadian border South to Portland, Ore. More accurately, I should say they know me, the Grey haired old coot who always comes in but rarely buys anything.

I have spent much too much time in their shops looking for improvements to my stuff & pickin their inventory. Lately they have begun showing a bit more respect for the vintage Guild guitars as indicated by their asking prices. An awful lot of what comes up in the shops needs work. Neck resets mostly & a lot of repaired headstock. I suspect the cream of the vintage stuff never gets hung up in the shop, but goes home with the shop owner or his staff & lives it's remaining years unplayed for the most part.