Just Joined

GC

Reaction score
I only discovered this forum a week or so ago. It's nice to know that there are other Guild addicts out there. I've always been made to feel almost apologetic because I preferred tham to Martins and Taylors. I've been playing Guilds since I got my first one in the 60s and it is still in my collection. For the record I have:

1966 D-40
1974 D-55 Brazilian
1981 F-412 Sunburst
1997 D-55 NTE

I am sure that I'm not done yet. Years ago I had an M-80 and regret parting with it. It was a great guitar. Anyway, it saddens me what has happened in the last couple years under the Fender ownership but forums such as this help to keep the spirit alive.

GC

Reaction score
I only discovered this forum a week or so ago. It's nice to know that there are other Guild addicts out there. I've always been made to feel almost apologetic because I preferred tham to Martins and Taylors. I've been playing Guilds since I got my first one in the 60s and it is still in my collection. For the record I have:

1966 D-40
1974 D-55 Brazilian
1981 F-412 Sunburst
1997 D-55 NTE

I am sure that I'm not done yet. Years ago I had an M-80 and regret parting with it. It was a great guitar. Anyway, it saddens me what has happened in the last couple years under the Fender ownership but forums such as this help to keep the spirit alive.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
GC,

Welcome. Be sure to send your membership number to Hans for a free case of Heineken.

It's interesting that you have a 70s Brazilian. As I understand it, Guild used some Braz in the early 70s before it became the holy grail it is today. I have a feeling there is more 70's Guild Braz out there than folks realize. It seems a lot of people assume that Martin switched to Indian at the end of '69, so everybody else did.

GC

Reaction score
Brazilian D-55

When I got the '74 D-55, I already had the '97. The only reason I bought it was because of the Brazilian rosewood which sounds different and looks very different. Whether it is the wood I can't say for sure since the guitar is 23 yrs older than the other one. In appearance they are markedly different, with the Brazilian being lighter in color and having a swirley grain pattern. Even though they are the same model, they are very different sounding instruments and I love them both.