Heavy guage strings on a Guild Dreadnaught

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating installing a set of heavier guage strings on a recently purchased DV 62. The neck currently is OK, not great but OK.

I am curious to find out what a big fat set of strings will do to the sound of my guitar.

I'm just a little concerned it will damage the guitar.

Any advice?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating installing a set of heavier guage strings on a recently purchased DV 62. The neck currently is OK, not great but OK.

I am curious to find out what a big fat set of strings will do to the sound of my guitar.

I'm just a little concerned it will damage the guitar.

Any advice?

Reaction score
heavier strings

Unless there's some structural damage to the guitar, it should take mediums with no problem at all. I've used them on my D-40, on and off, for decades. I'm not sure what you mean by the neck being "OK"--if it's plyability, then look at the relief, the saddle, or the set. But I can't imagine a Guild dread with a neck that can't take mediums structurally.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Russel,

Thanks for the response. I figured a big Guild Dred shouldn't have trouble with "Medium Strings" I bought a set of mediums .013 - .056, but just for fun I wanted to try something more "abusive". I swapped the Bass E & A to .059 & .048 respectively & it makes a dramatic difference. Authoratiative, impressed all the girls.

I had to have the neck reset on my F20 a year ago & really don't want to go there again unnecessarily. After takin the new girl out for a jam last night, I changed back to lighter (medium) guage strings. It still sounds darned good, just not as much testosterone. Now that I know what the big strings do, I can install them again if I ever get involved in a big guitar fight.

My guitar tweaker (luthier?) is backed up for a few weeks but I asked him to work me in. He did such a nice job on the F20 I am a bit spoiled & have become pretty critical. I think the action issues can be addressed with the truss rod, maybe a little saddle work.

Reaction score
Heavy man

Jeff - I have used medium guage strings (13-56) on my G37 dreadnaught for more than 25 years and on my small jumbos for various lengths of time. I didn't like the light sound I got from light guage strings and was searching for more punch. I certainly got it and since I play in Open D and Open C exclusively, some would say the lower tension moderates any damage. But most bluegrass players I know play with heavier strings and they have little to no problems, even if they are using Martins - king of lightweight guitars. (Sorry.) I have a luthier (Holger Notzel) who is a great player himself and I believe if there was any potential damage, he would have told me by now. I think that Guilds being such a hefty acoustic makes them perfect for heavier strings for better low end, more prominent articulation and better projection (especially with an arched back). So, I would urge you to go for it without worry. However, you say the neck is "ok" and I'm uncertain what that means - so I would put on mediums and play them for a few weeks and then let your luthier look and see how it's holding up. Best to you. Cheers! dbs

Dudley-Brian Smith
Smithfield Fair

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dudley,

Thanks for the insight. It seems most everyone, including me, feels confident Guild Dreds can handle medium weight strings , 13 to 56 range. That's what I have on now.

No one, including me, wants to risk anything heavier. I am curious if perhaps somewhere in Guild's history if they manufactured a model designed strong enough to take really bigger strings.

It was a gas to come a thumping down bass runs using a thumb pick and the heavier strings.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Jeff, not to worry - I've been playing mediums on my old D-25M for over 30 years without a problem. In fact, it came new from the factory with a set of Guild mediums installed. It sounded great then and it sounds even greater now!

But, I find I can't get the volume, tone, or life out of the light strings. :(

I've found that most Guild acoustics ring out evenly across all six strings. Accordingly,and as you so correctly observed, thumbpicking the bassline is a real treat on the Guild dreads. But I think you need the medium strings to get the full effect.

My '98 DV-52 is also strung with D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums. 8)