Guild Mark VII

HoboKen

Reaction score
A firend of mine sent me this one......

I stopped to seee my old guitar teacher from Phila this week - He is now 90 years old and was the man that started me playing. He has a Guild Acoustuc guitar Nylon string "Mark VII custom" serial number CF210 that was made as a special order for him by the Guild company in the 50's. He is looking to sell it and I want to buy it-it has A LOT of sentimental value to me but also an amazing sound. It is pretty beat up and actually has a wood patch put in by Guild where he wore it down from strumming.
What would be a fair price for such an instrument??

Anyone care to venture?

H.M. Any idea on the history of a Mark VII SN: CF 210?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
HoboKen said:
H.M. Any idea on the history of a Mark VII SN: CF 210?

Hello HoboKen,

The old man is quite a bit off as far as the date is concerned, but I feel you're entitled to make mistakes like that when you're up there.

The Mark VII was introduced in 1968 as a 'special order' guitar. Retail on that guitar was $ 800.00, which was a lot in those days. Dating them exactly is a little tricky because the 'official' Guild serial numbers are not complete during this particular period. Also the Mark VII shares the same serial number series with the Mark VI, which makes it impossible to say exactly how many of those guitars were made. Anyway, I've seen a little less than 10 of those and they were all great guitars. Here's a link to a picture of the label of one that was bought in 1970. It has a slightly higher serial number, so it is safe to assume that the one the old man has, was made in the 1969-1970 period.

As far as the value is concerned, I need to hold the guitar in my hands to give you an idea.

Sincerely,

Hans

[img:599:392]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/MarkVII.jpg[/img]

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ken,

You know, that's a tough one. I know you are a lot like me in that you have guitars that you would never sell unless someone offered you a rediculous amount of money. To me, just the sentimental value alone of that guitar dictates that the amount of money that you would have to pay is fairly irrelevant. If you do not buy it, you'll never forgive yourself!

West

HoboKen

Reaction score
Hans, West,

I guess my friend has been in touch with Hans. Glad I could help him out here. I'll let him sign on himself and jump into the discussion if he so desires.

I stopped by his house today to see this rare Segovia or Byrd delight, for he told me he had the gutar already on loan so to speak. He lives minutes asway. This Mark VII has scratches and the gloss finish is not all there in spots, but this Brazilian rosewood (Hans, I am right in that am I not?) is beautiful!! The top repair was done very well indeed. As clean inside as outside. It plays beautifully, even with 10 year old strings he found in the case and put on the guitar. The case is a mid to late 60s case, not a late fifties or early 60s case. It's a royal fuzzy blue instead of the deep cloth purple of the older cases. The guitar's sound is great and balanced played soft or with gusto. Good sustain and the neck is almost absolutely as true as when it was made. I'll buy it if he does not! But, I don't think I have a snowball's chance in "H" to get it. He simply loves the guitar......and why not! Besides, he plays it better than I can.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
HoboKen said:
but this Brazilian rosewood (Hans, I am right in that am I not?) is beautiful!!

Hello HoboKen,

Yes, it probably is. The few ones that I've seen over the years were all made with Brazilian.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust