the designation "BR" after the model

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
Hello Guild Experts!

There's a guitar on ebay that I'm very interested in-- a guild D25 "BR".

What does the BR signify? It appears to be all mahogany, though the seller says the top might be koa.... right. Anyway, I've been looking for a flat backed D-25M from the early 70's, and this might be the one!

Thanks,

Bob

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gretschbigsby said:
Hello Guild Experts!

There's a guitar on ebay that I'm very interested in-- a guild D25 "BR".

What does the BR signify? It appears to be all mahogany, though the seller says the top might be koa.... right. Anyway, I've been looking for a flat backed D-25M from the early 70's, and this might be the one!

Thanks,

Bob

Hello Bob,

That's the designation they used during the early '70s when the D-25s had a mahogany top and the choice was Brown (BR) or Red (CH) finish.
The guitar on page 125 of my book is a D-25 Br.

Hope this will be the one for you!

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello again Bob,

Decided to look at that particular eBay auction and I want to add the following:

The photos in the eBay description do not show a version of a D-25BR that I'm familiar with. I don't mean to say that it's not a D-25 because it definitely is and it has all the specs. of a guitar from that particular period.
However, the D-25BR that I'm used to has a dark walnut kind of finish that is similar on the top, back & sides. Now there could be various reasons why this guitar does not conform to these color specs. but since I don't have the guitar in my hands, this would all be speculation.
So, if you're interested in that particular guitar, make sure that you ask the right questions and bid accordingly.
By the way, I love the looks of the guitar!

Good luck!

Hans Moust

gretschbigsby

Reaction score
Thanks Hans... that top does almost look like Koa. I'll ask the guy if its a re-fin.

Do you have a sense of the nut width and neck profile, going by typical specs?

Thanks!

Bob

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gretschbigsby said:
Do you have a sense of the nut width and neck profile, going by typical specs?

Thanks!

Bob

Guilds from that period typically have a neck width of about 4,3 cm ( I believe you would call that 1-11/16") and a kind of profile that seems to be liked by most guitar players. I've never heard anyone complain about the Guild neckshape from that period. If you're used to vintage guitars in general, you would feel right at home. It's real comfy!

Good luck!

Hans

Ulf

Reaction score
B25BR

Hi I just saw this old thread and hopefully someone with the right knowledge will see this question almost one year later...
I've also seen a D25BR on eBay from ´71. It has the flat bottom but the top does not have the same tone as sides and back. It's lighter. But still, from the pictures, the grain in the top does not look at all like spruce. But of course it's difficult to tell for sure. Can I be confident that all D25's from '71 are fitted with a mahogany top? And is there an explanation to why the top doesn't have exactly the same colour as the rest of the body?
thanks, Ulf