Starfire IV.... what's on my headstock?

Reaction score
I posted this under the Tech board as well, so please forgive my duplication here. I have this wonderful '67, but it's had some mod's done to it. Besides the active EMG's (not bad, but not what I want), somebody tinkered with the finish and made the headstock black. If I were to remove some of that paint, would I find MOP inlay underneath it, or was Guild using decals in those days? I'd love to return this guitar to the traditional look and sound.

[img:296:630]http://www.pencilartist.com/ebay/starfireiv.jpg[/img]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
stevemills said:
I have this wonderful '67, but it's had some mod's done to it. Besides the active EMG's (not bad, but not what I want), somebody tinkered with the finish and made the headstock black. If I were to remove some of that paint, would I find MOP inlay underneath it, or was Guild using decals in those days? I'd love to return this guitar to the traditional look and sound.

Hello Stevemills,

The photo is not very clear but it looks to me like the peghead overlay has been removed. These plastic overlays have a tendency to shrink and come off, which might be the reason for the black paint job. So, I think there's nothing but wood underneath the paint and you would probably need to make another peghead overlay.
I'm not sure about this either but it also looks like your guitar is a little later than 1967, which might mean another style of peghead overlay.
What's the serial number of your guitar?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Reaction score
Hans,

Thank you for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, this is a '67. The serial is EL 1835. The side view on the headstock indicates a fascia of wood (or something else) laminated to the headstock. Maybe something was over this, I don't know, or maybe this has the inlay. What do you think?

[img:846:600]http://www.pencilartist.com/ebay/starfireivserial.jpg[/img]
[img:774:600]http://www.pencilartist.com/ebay/starfireivheadstock.jpg[/img]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
stevemills said:
Hans,

Thank you for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, this is a '67. The serial is EL 1835. The side view on the headstock indicates a fascia of wood (or something else) laminated to the headstock. Maybe something was over this, I don't know, or maybe this has the inlay. What do you think?

Hello again Steve,

Yes, that should be a '67. I was thrown off by the machineheads and the ABM bridge.

The photos clearly show some kind of overlay but if it was the original one, you should be able to see the Guild name and Chesterfield column through the black paint. This looks like some sort of veneer that was added after the original overlay was removed.

This basically means inlaying the veneer with the Guild logo and Chesterfield column or making an entirely new overlay.
It can be done if you're a handyman with enough free time and patience.
If you're not I would approach a professional repairman.

Hans

Reaction score
I'm handy, but not that handy. Is there someone in the US you would recommend? This guitar probably needs a total refinish, including restoration of the headstock.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, but I do not know any repairmen in that area.

Anybody else who can help?

Hans

Reaction score
Hans,

Thanks for the effort, and I will be looking here to see if anyone else has an idea. I'm probably more interested in finding the pearl inlay (or a pattern to do it myself) and then I could take it from there. I have a fantastic refinisher at my disposal. He did the job on this '64 SG Special.

[img:334:350]http://www.pencilartist.com/images/rinus2.jpg[/img]

You might, or might not, know the guitarist playing that Gibson. He's Rinus Oudejans from Pink Carpet (Netherlands band). He was at my home a few years ago, that's me looking on in amazement. :)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
stevemills said:
You might, or might not, know the guitarist playing that Gibson. He's Rinus Oudejans from Pink Carpet (Netherlands band).

The name sounds familiar to me but I do not recognize him from the picture. Might have been in my workshop but if so, it must have been a long time ago.

Hans

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hans,

The machine heads might be original, no?

Steve,

I guess you know that if you refinish a guitar, you're probably lowering the resale price by about 50%. From what i can see, that guitar doesn't need a refin. In terms of money, you might be better off just restoring the peghead overlay, bridge, and pickups. You'd be spending a lot less, and it would be pretty close to original. The holes in the top for new pick ups might have been made bigger, but the original mounting rings might cover the enlargements.

Is that a mahogany back, sides, and top?

Reaction score
Sorry to reply so late, my computer went down last weekend and I'm just now restoring my web links.

Those are Grover tuners, not the originals. The EMG pickups fit within the original holes. I can see the edges because my rings don't completely cover them. The entire guitar is mahogany.

I tried to buy some '66 pickups on eBay, but lost the bid. I think putting it back to original in that regard might be pointless, because it simply sounds so beautiful as it is. That recording features this guitar in about five layers, with no other 6-strings involved.

My hope is to get the name replaced without marring this finish, it is in such good condition for it's age. I had first thought losing the nameplate had been a factor of a refinish job, but now I know it's just been temporarily repaired. The finish is in superb condition otherwise, with only some checking on the back.

Can anyone direct me to a source for new inlays? I saved a really good photo of a headstock from the web, I guess I can go from that if I have to.