Refinishing a vintage Guild F30 NT

Nancy

Reaction score
I was looking for some information on my F30 NT when I found this web site and read through one thread. I couldnt find the original thread that inspired me to register but here is the history of my Guild.
I had been working little piano bars when I was 17 (with a doctored birth certificate as the legal age then was 21) when one day my agent called and asked me if I played the guitar. Well of course I did but only behind closed doors and without a pick even. He said that a US bluegrass band had lost their girl singer and would I help him out. I tried to beg off but agents could be pretty persuasive/intimidating in those days so I said I would take the bus 80 miles out to Statford Ontario where the gig was. I didn't even have a car yet. In fact I didn't have a guitar either and had to dash down town to Thomas Organs on Yonge st. Toronto, and buy one. They had many names and models of which I knew nothing about so I just tried them all. The Guild was the one that caught my ear the sweetest. They were very nice to me and let me put 200. down and take it with me (wow have things changed). When I got to the gig the two fellows were horrified that I didn't know how to hold a pick and barely knew the basic chords however they were impressed with my guitar. They weren't sympathetic or patient and by the end of the two weeks I could strum to Cumberland gap etc. as fast as they wanted to take it. BUT the inside of my new guild was covered in blood spatter from the torn fingers and knucles of my right hand. I played that guitar until 1967 when in desperation I traded it to my stepfather for his old car. I've been told this story vaguely sounds like cole miner's daughter as I had been married at 15 and had two children by the time I bought that first guild. The marriage was breaking up and I knew if I offered my husband a car in trade for the kids I would be sure to keep my children. So in effect the Guild was sacrificed for a very worthy cause. Now my stepfather was a musician in the many bars and taverns in Ontario but he didn't take very good care of his instruments. In fact, he liked to do leather tooling and fashioned a full front for the guild and glued it on!!!. Years came and went and finally in 1975 a fan who had seen me on some tv show playing a non descipt guitar invited me to Longe and Mcquade to purchase a Martin (his insistance). My new husband and I kept in touch with this kind man who died only a few years leter. My stepfather played the guild for as long as I can remember. I had many good managers in my career but the last one, Ian Stuart, had a flare for the unexpected kindnesses one only hears about. He had heard the tale of my Guild for a car for my kids and just this Chritsmas handed me a beat up cardboard case and inside was my original Guild. BUT...he had been gently sanding it down for the past 8 years!!!! and as he told me, he just couldn't afford to have it refinished professionally. I was flabberghasted. There inside was the blood spatters. It was minus bridge, machine heads, pic guard and NO finish at all. It was dry as a bone but not a crack or gouge marred the body. Today, I played it for the first time in 38 years. We are lucky to have a fine music store in the small I live in now, who do extensive repairs on guitars. I know it greatly dimished the resale value but I will never sell it again so I had it done in a blood red finish with black Grover heads and the frets redone as well. It looks dynamic and sounds even sweeter than I remember. The serial number is A1-929. Please don't groan when you read of my refinishing it. It was necessary and I'm happy as a clam, reunited with Guild. If anyone would like to see it post me back and I'll try to put up a picture of it as soon as I can pry myself away from it to get my camera.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Nancy,

It's great to have you here, welcome to the site.

A very moving story you tell and a miracle that you were reunited with your Guild. Some of the guys here are probably the most knowledgable in the world on not only Guild guitars, but guitars in general. Although I do know that there are many people who refinish guitars, I've never had one refinished myself. One of the many experts at this site will be along soon with suggestions I'm sure.

Good luck to you on your quest and again...congratulations on your gift and welcome!

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
That's a wonderful story. Not often one gets to make such a trade, keep the kids, and then get the guitar back. Your agent sounds like a gent.

Do you mean that your stepfather actually glued a piece of leather to the top of your F-30? Must have deadened the sound something fierce?

A refinished guitar is not going to be favorite of a collector, but it sounds as if you've collected it, and with it a lot of your history and a chunk of your heart as well. There's some sort of tale there about karma in one's lifetime - I just wish you all the very best, and may the good parts of all our lives return to us as a part of yours has.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nancy,
I am not a professional, but I have never heard of a manager that would sand your guitar 8 minutes, let alone 8 YEARS!! :shock:

Unreal!!

I think I would call that the "Bloody Cherry" finish! Sounds British!!

Thanks telling the story!!

:wink:

Nancy

Reaction score
Replies to apostles welcoming me to "house of Guild&quo

I thank you Mr. P, John Kidder, West and sf11 for you kind comments and welcoming words. First a few words about the the obvious expertise of the contributors to this forum. As I mentioned in my first post I went through most of the posts that are still listed here (quite a few!) and it I can see that most of you are the creme de la creme of Guild officianatos. Since I chose the Guild those many years ago though not owning any more guilds, have always been a Guild supporter and many times when asked by a younster what guitar they should buy that would be easy to keep in tune (relatively speaking), good tone, good looking, and one they would feel confident playing in any situation, I have always mentioned the Guild 1st. When I was asked why I was playing a Martin the reply I would give was "would you turn it down if it was a gift? After many years of playing the Martin it too had a lot of sentimetal value to me. I started recording the same year I bought the Guild and didn't feel confident enough in my ability to play guitar of any kind in front of musicians like Ray Steven, Pig Robbins, Anita Kerr Singers, Grady Martin, etc. It was only many years later when I had seasoned musically to Country leanings that I started using the Martin on sessions. It was kind of the accepted holy grail of guitars in Nashville in the 60's and 70's when I was most active in the biz. Gibson was a close second and surpisingly a good Yamaha was often twinned with a Martin on sessions. I hope I am clear in my meaning of function and that is of the rhythm guitar. I always wondered why I didn't see too many Guilds in the studio as in my mind their sweeteness is so suited to the country music of what I call the transition years. Country (and I still love it) is a lot more electronic now and as Alan Jackson says "mixed up in your face".
To get back to my new old Guild. When my friend and old manager handed me the guitar at Christmas, it was unplayable and unsitely. After the necessary refinishing it has a new life as a useful and beautiful musical tool that will inspire me to write again. I don't want to bore this forum with my personal life but perhaps just a few points will clear up any secret doubts you may be harbouring about my authenticity as a lover of fine instruments. My first instrument was a Heintsman upright that I recieved at the ripe old age of 3. The next was a 1927 violin (that I still have) that had been handed down trhough the family and is also very sweet in tone though I play it seldom and badly. Many non descript instuments passed through my fingers until I purchased a Yamaha CP70 electric/accoustic grand piano. I bought it and sold it twice I liked it so much. It was such a pig to tune and it was being moved sometimes daily that it was a major bother. Next to the guild the instument I most hated to see leave my possession was my 63 Fender Jazz which I played for 20 years (Johnny Stockfish, Gordon Lightfoot's original bass player would call me up every couple of years and ask if I was ready to sell it to him yet). I have gone through 3 Oschar Schmit auto harps the last one bought after Washburn took over. Speaking of Washburn, I have a "cherry red" SBT-21 which is pretty and plays nice but is electric solid body...useless for sound appreciation unplugged and unadorned with special effects pedals. But as I still have all my midi equipment and have a kid's album in progress, I keep it for recording in my little midi studio. I just last month bought a Tacoma M1E Mandolin that is SOOOO nice to play. One of the new satin type finishes which I like now but have heard they get shinny in the places where the picker anchors. Any suggestions how to keep that from happening. Tacoma warns not to use polish on it for the obvious reasons.
I have been doing little projects hear and there since I "officially" retired from the BIz to go to University at the ripe old age of 42. I spent five years getting my degree in Neuroscience and then 4 more to get my RN. Honestly guys I really felt that life has been so good to me and people throughout my life have given me so much joy, that it was time to do some work work and try to give just a tiny fraction of that love back. It is only 6 years til I retire at 65 and am already planning my second childhood of playing music. I am working 12 hour shifts at the hospital so it doesn't give me a lot of time to pactise but I hope its not too late to get the chops back. The guild wil be my inspiration. Well for those of you who have waded through this lengthy tomb I appoligise for being so verbose. Any advice or assistance you can offer as to new products youv'e found to clean and restore original finishes on the rest of my collection would be greatly appreciated. I will be content to sit and lurk from now on as I really don't have any skills to offer up here. I will try my best to figure how to get up a photo. Thank you again for all your kind words and God Bless.
Nancy

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nancy,
I am 6 years behind you on the retirement train, and I just hope I don't have to spend too much time saying "Welcome to Walmart"!

I will try to help you post a picture. If I go to juvenile with the explanation, don't be offended. I write Manufacturing instructions as part of my job.

1. Your photo has to be in digital format, and a .jpg file is easiest.
2. Use a image host like Sony Image Station, Photobucket, or Image Shack.
3. Upload your image from your computer to the host service using their instructions. Resize the image if it much over 400pixels by 400 Pixels.
4. Start a message in this forum, and when you get ready to add your image, select the "IMG" button above the typing block.
5. Open the image in the host, then right click and select properties.
6. In the properties will be a line called "location" or something like that. Select that whole line, and be sure you get it all. Then Copy.
7. Now paste the "location string" after the "IMG" in your post.
8. Now select the "Close Tags" button. Don't forget this!!!

If everything went right, you will have a nice picture Like this one that was the advertising picture from Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville where I got my D-40. It is 360 x 450 pixels.

[img:360:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p9f2ddbde2b64c6e5eadfbb0c86c1997d/f00da434.jpg[/img]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome Nancy,

Good story! Love to see that F-30 in 'Bloody Red'.

Sincerely,

Hans

Nancy

Reaction score
Thank you again for your kind and helpful words. This working for a living is definately hard though very rewarding. Im lucky enough to have a patient and very talented husband who is now practising the bass in preparation for the day I can retire and get back on the road. We wrote and performed a 26 episode childrens program a few years ago that is not dated in its appearence and hope when we retire we can put in appearances at Zoos and have 56 every eclectic musical style songs to sell. Mr. P, although Walmart greeters have a worthy and pleasant job I doubt you will be spending much time there as an employee. No guitars to play there.
We have the exclusive rights to the 26 episodes of the show which we're transfering to DVD.I appreciate the primer on getting a photo up. I registered at photobucket last night but the high gloss finish was difficult to get a pic with the flash. The sun is up and the time is right. so hopefully I can get the beast on digital.
I tried to get my husband to drag out his Takamane for a picture but he's bashful. In truth he doesn't want to clean out his closet where the guitar is buried. Well it shouldnt be too long now IE hour or two till I can present my poor unloved Guild in it's refinished (neutered) glory into a POST!! Thank you for commenting Hans. Could you tell me where to get your book. I know by the posts that you had a few after your trip to NY but I can see they went fast. Who is your publisher and perhaps I can write directly. I do mean the book on dating the guitar and the guild info/history. I would just assume you have other titles as well but it is definitely the Guild resource book I would like to buy. Thanks again and it will just be a short while now till the pictures up.
Nancy[/i]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nancy Ryan said:
Hans. Could you tell me where to get your book. I know by the posts that you had a few after your trip to NY but I can see they went fast. Who is your publisher and perhaps I can write directly. I do mean the book on dating the guitar and the guild info/history. I would just assume you have other titles as well but it is definitely the Guild resource book I would like to buy.
Nancy[/i]

Hello Nancy,

The softcover version of my book is available from various on-line sources.
If you can appreciate a small family business I would suggest buying the book from JK Lutherie. John is a good friend and he usually has the book in stock.

http://www.jklutherie.com

I only sell the 'Limited Edition' hardcover version (of which John usually stocks a few as well) but it's a little more expensive but well worth it if you like a little more book!

Thanks! Hans

Nancy

Reaction score
Nancy Trying again

[/img][IMG:1200:1600]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/colonel613/Guildheadonly.jpg[/img]
Guildok.jpg
[/img]
Backofguild2.jpg
[/img]

Nancy

Reaction score
Saga of Nancy's pictures......

:oops: :oops: Well they don't look any H---. For some reason it looks like there is dust all over the head and the front one is skewed somehow. The only one that is clear is the backshot. That pic was just by accident . The finish is so reflective that it caught me taking the picture. It was very difficult to find a place in the house that was light enough not to have to use the flash but not so light that the colour didn't come up as a candy apple red rather than the more subdued blood red. Sorry guys..I've only been here a couple of days and have really made a nuisence of myself.
Please forgive.

Thanks Hans I will check out the price of both the soft cover and the hard cover. I've spent so much on guitars lately I may have to wait until next month. Our Canadian version of the IRS are bugging me to file 6 years of tax returns (I've been bad..I'm a procrastinator not an evader) and the accountant is getting about 10 Guilds worth for his work.
Nancy

Nancy

Reaction score
Where was it made?

West you seem to have the goods on what years were made where. Is my beast a Westerly?
Nancy

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well, you know refinishing does not help the resale value, but that is a masterful application of a blood red finish. Very nice.

Nancy

Reaction score
The pics

Thanks for vote of approval...I won't be looking to sell it and my son is already picking out my head stone....my grandaughter will have it after my son had played it for manyyears after I'm gone I hope.
Nancy

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: Where was it made?

Nancy Ryan said:
Is my beast a Westerly?
Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Looked at the photos of your F-30. Looks good! I like that color. I have a similar F-30 from that period, but it's a Sunburst finished one.
Believe it or not but I bought it in the early '90s from a (mom&pop) music store where it had been hanging since 1967; still new with the tags.
I didn't get it for the 1967-price though. I payed 3 times as much as retail in 1967, but I was happy. I still am!
It's my high-string guitar and apart from a little crazing in the finish, it still looks new. Sounds beautiful!

Your guitar and mine were both made in Hoboken, New Jersey.

Sincerely,

Hans

Here's a close-up of the body:

[img:572:680]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/F-20SbBody.jpg[/img]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
AI 929 makes it a 1966.

Actually, mine has a 1966 serial number as well but because of the way the guitars are 'stamped' , the guitar could not have been finished any earlier than 1967. That's when these people ordered the guitar and nobody ever tried to take it off their hands until I came by about 25 years later.

Hans