john lennon and the sunburst Gibson J-160E, postscript

carson17912

Reaction score
Going through past issues of Guitar Player tonight. From the August 2004 issue with john on the cover, Cover story: Beatlemania! The guitar story I came up with more info for those who have to know. On pages 50/51 is a color picture of the Beatles in a tv studio in London, miming their latest record: "I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND." Now in this picture, john is playing a Gibson J-160E. This guitar in his hand is really the one George bought. It seems they crossed hands somehow, and I'm not sure how it happened, but this is the very one that was stolen during the beatles Christmas show in '64. He later purchased another which was stripped down and he carved his and yoko's image onto it in canada during his bed in. You can see john playing george's gibson from this picture in the Anthology dvd. In the last disc you can see him perform Give Peace a Chance in his hotel room. seated on a stool opposite john is Tommy Smothers who also played and sang on the record. Tommy is playing his trusty Guild acoustic. I saw the guitar that john used during this period at the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame in Cleveland along with other guitars from John's collection. carson