D-55 in action?

rolz

Reaction score
any of you guys have a video of a D-55 being played? i'm planning to bo buy my first high-end acoustic. torn up between a Martin HD-28 and a Guild D-55. I've seen a lot of martin guitars in action through http://www.maurysmusic.com
nice site. i'm dying for the D-41 but way overbudget. a lot of reviews i've read over the months swear by the D-55 and Guild itself. before I make a decision i'd like to see and hear a guild in action, i know a low bitrate video won't give any guitar justice but i live far away and i'm letting my brother-in-law in cleveland buy it for me, new, online. i've considered taylors but they say it's too bright and i play rock mostly and a strummer first, fingerpicker second.

so, if any of you have a link, or better yet, a video of yourself playing a D-55, please do share. :D

btw, i've only seen a D-55 played live on video once. it was the Goo Goo Dolls. Johnny, their vocalist, played a beautiful sunburst D-55. it just blew me away.

dklsplace

Reaction score
i've only seen a D-55 played live on video once. it was the Goo Goo Dolls. Johnny, their vocalist, played a beautiful sunburst D-55.

I watched part of a Goo Goo Dolls concert on Directv last year. It rained so hard they basically shut the stage down, but he came out & continued an acoustic concert on that guitar...in the pouring driving rain :shock: My stomach hurt for days after.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Gretchen Wilson's Video, "I Don't Feel Like Loving You Today" is a slow country ballad with the lead acoustic guitar being a D-55 Sunburst. It is audio through the on board under-saddle pick up and does not do justice to the guitar, but check it out anyway.

http://www.gretchenwilson.com/

dklsplace

Reaction score
Here's 3 clips from the Dolls Live in Buffalo 2004. 3 clips, 3 different Guilds, the last clip is in the rain after the rest of the band came back out. Not the D-55, but still sad to see the Guild being soaked.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2656380?htv=12

More sad news...taking a peak at the Dolls website it would appear that Taylor has wooed John away from his Guilds.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Imagine how much money he saves on humidifiers though :) Great clips and even though I'm a country/ballad (and old rock) type guy, I've always liked their music.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Not to worry Don.....I have it on good authority that he couldn't find any Westerlys at the time, so he had to settle for a Taylor.

rolz

Reaction score
thanks, i'll check it out. i'm kinda looking for a solo-type video. kinda like someone just videotaping themselves playing in their room, that way there'll be no band drowning the d-55 out. maybe also without a pickup.

dklsplace

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Not to worry Don.....I have it on good authority that he couldn't find any Westerlys at the time, so he had to settle for a Taylor.

I'm guessing they sweetened the deal somehow. The Doll's website has a Taylor link, but no mention of Guild. :?

Say it ain't so John!!!

rolz

Reaction score
johnny switched to taylor? why? hes been a guild guy ever since. hes got loads of guilds.

does anybody know if he uses his guilds for recording? coz his tone is pretty sweet especially on Iris.

another artist i'd like to point out is Robert Smith of The Cure. i'm a big fan. he uses his Guild Jumbo 12-string black almost exclusively, dont know the model. big fat tone.

and Alice in Chains uses all Guild acoustics on their unplugged MTV special. Jerry Cantrell and that backup guy. pretty cool.

Abalone

Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
Gretchen Wilson's Video, "I Don't Feel Like Loving You Today" is a slow country ballad with the lead acoustic guitar being a D-55 Sunburst. It is audio through the on board under-saddle pick up and does not do justice to the guitar, but check it out anyway.

http://www.gretchenwilson.com/

Oooh, that D-55 sounded horrible with that under-saddle pick up :shock:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Abalone said:

You got to know that the guitar sounded much better acoustic. Single source under-saddles just don't make it. I find the undersaddle internal microphone blend to sound best. Here is a nice site to listen to different options.

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

Abalone

Reaction score
Mr. P ~ said:
Abalone said:

You got to know that the guitar sounded much better acoustic. Single source under-saddles just don't make it. I find the undersaddle internal microphone blend to sound best. Here is a nice site to listen to different options.

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

Yes of course, just wanted to say that just that specific clip of that D-55 didn't sound any good. I've played a D-55 and it sounded absolutely great.

TBman

Reaction score
rolz said:
any of you guys have a video of a D-55 being played? i'm planning to bo buy my first high-end acoustic. torn up between a Martin HD-28 and a Guild D-55. I've seen a lot of martin guitars in action through http://www.maurysmusic.com
nice site. i'm dying for the D-41 but way overbudget. a lot of reviews i've read over the months swear by the D-55 and Guild itself. before I make a decision i'd like to see and hear a guild in action, i know a low bitrate video won't give any guitar justice but i live far away and i'm letting my brother-in-law in cleveland buy it for me, new, online. i've considered taylors but they say it's too bright and i play rock mostly and a strummer first, fingerpicker second.

so, if any of you have a link, or better yet, a video of yourself playing a D-55, please do share. :D

btw, i've only seen a D-55 played live on video once. it was the Goo Goo Dolls. Johnny, their vocalist, played a beautiful sunburst D-55. it just blew me away.

On my Acidplanet site - "Beginnings" is recorded with my '78 Westerly D-55

HoboKen

Reaction score
In our bluegrass group, we have a Brazilian rosewood HD-28, a 70's D-35 , a D-41, and recent regular D-28, as well as an old Gibson J-50 going head to head with my DV-52 and DV-72. All I can tell you is that the fellow who has both the HD-28 and the D-41, sold his DV-52 to another fellow in order to afford the D-41. He's been trying to buy it back for 6 years now. He likes his D-41 'cause its pretty. He borrows my DV-52 when we do serious performances. He says he like the Martins for the "High-lonesome," But the Guilds are better balanced in base and treble. I agree. I think he's just about ready to buy a D-55 to have the looks and the sound together in one guitar. His first name is Grover......I just call him "Grover-Rotomatic! Our Mandolin player is "Kermit." Becasue of these two, we have an unofficial a.k.a. name of The Sesame Street Bluegrass Gang! (as Kerm says, its not easy being green!)

HoboKen
a.k.a.: Cookie Monster

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
I watched the Goo Goo Dolls video. Thats a D55? I didn't know they were made in a cutaway version.
BW

rolz

Reaction score
ok... johnny has lots of guilds, i don't know what you were referring to but i'm talking about them playing "Here is Gone" on Jay Leno.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Sorry I got mixed ip. I thought someone said he was playing a D55 in the rain. I didn't see no D55 but I did see a Antique Sunburst cutaway getting played in the rain.
My bad.
Benee

6L6

Reaction score
There's no video with this, but if you buy this CD of Patrick Sky you will hear what I think is the best recording ever of a Guild F-50 (sorry, but the D-55 didn't exist when Patrick recorded this).

Great CD by the way!

'06 D-55
'74 D-40
'98 Martin D-45V
'71 Martin D-35
'70 Martin D-12-20
'98 Collings D-1
'03 Taylor 214http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1017269/a/Patrick+Sky.htm